Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #145,156 of 149,612
IMG_7620.jpeg

My morning UPS delivery, I believe I mentioned I needed to try more Willet products and this package showed up, no note, just the address of the online liquor store? My thanks go out to that mystery person, I must have sent them something in the past. Thanks go out to @RCBinTN for bringing up the Rowan’s Creek, it must have inspired my benefactor.🤪

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #145,157 of 149,612
Frühstück, to be exact.

Hi, Anya ~~
Kids are growing fast, my small girl already 18½~
My problem is always with the umlauts. This US keyboard doesn't have those characters, or is there a trick to add German letters on a US Mac that I'm not aware of?
I remember the day we (Americans, working in Deutschland) first discovered kartoffelpuffers. We thought we had gone to Heaven. :)

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #145,158 of 149,612
Only real Germans eat sliced salami for breakfast. Or should I call it fruhstuck? My favorite word in German is Gemütlichkeit. It goes well with Stammtisch.

Oh, you can bet your butt! 😁

1711377915504.jpeg

Not my actual Frühstück, sadly, mostly because I can’t get actually good soft pretzels or rolls to safe my life over here. But close enough for illustration purposes.

With that said, there’s a nice restaurant up in Sutter Creek, CA, the creatively named Sutter Creek Hotel, and they have pretty decent soft pretzels on the menu. They dowse them in butter, which I don’t love, but they’re better than most other soft pretzels I’ve ever had on the west coast. And there’s a German bakery in San Jose, CA, that’s got some pretty good stuff. But they’re both a bit too far away from where I live to go fetch some fresh baked goods for a proper breakfast.

Fingers crossed that this will change once I’m in Texas. The area that I’ll be moving to in a few weeks has a strong, active German background, and here’s hoping that there’s at least one solid bakery in driving distance.

Speaking of soft pretzels…
I don’t remember where exactly that was, but one of the best soft pretzels I’ve ever had was in Manhattan, somewhere around the Hell’s Kitchen area. Warm and crunchy and just the right amount of salt — and filled with marzipan! 😳
Sounds like an abomination? Sounds like heresy? Oh, you’ve got no idea! The only heresy here is that it tasted like literal heaven on earth! 🤤

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #145,159 of 149,612
My problem is always with the umlauts. This US keyboard doesn't have those characters, or is there a trick to add German letters on a US Mac that I'm not aware of?
I remember the day we (Americans, working in Deutschland) first discovered kartoffelpuffers. We thought we had gone to Heaven. :)

Just type 'e' instead of the 2 dots umlaut is OK.

If you insist to make it perfect, On a Mac, you simply hold the OPTION (or alt) key down while pressing the letter u. (You must HOLD the option key, not simply press it once.) Then release and press the letter you want the umlaut over (a, o or u).

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #145,160 of 149,612
Press and hold the a, o, or u keys for a second or two and a little pop up will pop up. Works the same on iOS and watchOS.

Alternatively, you can also press option-u and then a, o, or u. On older macOS versions, that’s the only way to get to the umlauts.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #145,161 of 149,612
Oh, you can bet your butt! 😁

1711377915504.jpeg

Not my actual Frühstück, sadly, mostly because I can’t get actually good soft pretzels or rolls to safe my life over here. But close enough for illustration purposes.

With that said, there’s a nice restaurant up in Sutter Creek, CA, the creatively named Sutter Creek Hotel, and they have pretty decent soft pretzels on the menu. They dowse them in butter, which I don’t love, but they’re better than most other soft pretzels I’ve ever had on the west coast. And there’s a German bakery in San Jose, CA, that’s got some pretty good stuff. But they’re both a bit too far away from where I live to go fetch some fresh baked goods for a proper breakfast.

Fingers crossed that this will change once I’m in Texas. The area that I’ll be moving to in a few weeks has a strong, active German background, and here’s hoping that there’s at least one solid bakery in driving distance.

Speaking of soft pretzels…
I don’t remember where exactly that was, but one of the best soft pretzels I’ve ever had was in Manhattan, somewhere around the Hell’s Kitchen area. Warm and crunchy and just the right amount of salt — and filled with marzipan! 😳
Sounds like an abomination? Sounds like heresy? Oh, you’ve got no idea! The only heresy here is that it tasted like literal heaven on earth! 🤤
One of our new recruits had to take a run to the toiletten one morning ... I was sitting at the tisch eating leberwurst for breakfast. Mmmm.

Check out this place - cool. They even have Reissdorf Koelsch on the menu ... my frau's favorite bier.
https://www.stammtischpdx.com/

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #145,162 of 149,612
IMG_7620.jpeg

My morning UPS delivery, I believe I mentioned I needed to try more Willet products and this package showed up, no note, just the address of the online liquor store? My thanks go out to that mystery person, I must have sent them something in the past.
The Noah's Mills is an underrated spirit that I wager you will enjoy.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #145,163 of 149,612
One of our new recruits had to take a run to the toiletten one morning ... I was sitting at the tisch eating leberwurst for breakfast. Mmmm.

Check out this place - cool. They even have Reissdorf Koelsch on the menu ... my frau's favorite bier.
https://www.stammtischpdx.com/
Love it.

Although, calling Kölsch a beer is taking some poetic license, for sure. 😈😜

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #145,164 of 149,612
The Rowan's Creek as well. We were just discussing these bourbons a few days ago here. I will be interested in what you think about the Rowan's, Tom.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #145,165 of 149,612
I have had the Willet before but not the other two. I crossed five people off my suspect list since they had already sent gifts.😉

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #145,166 of 149,612
The Rowan's Creek as well. We were just discussing these bourbons a few days ago here. I will be interested in what you think about the Rowan's, Tom.
I really suspect that conversation led to this gift, most local friends get me Buffalo Trace products.

I will make every effort to give my impressions of all three, it has been a few months since I had Willets but I kept going back to that after tasting about 15 other bourbons in my son’s bar. I can get bourbon names confused but not that bottle shape.😉

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #145,167 of 149,612
Love it.

Although, calling Kölsch a beer is taking some poetic license, for sure. 😈😜
We discovered it whilst living in Cincinnati ... another US place with a large German population.
Testing the Mac's umlaut ability now on the word Kölsch. Works perfectly - thank you, folks. I do like to (try to) make it perfect. :)

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #145,168 of 149,612
I decided to join Head-Fi when I discovered this thread. Lurked around for quite awhile, afraid to post.

Only real Germans eat sliced salami for breakfast. Or should I call it fruhstuck? My favorite word in German is Gemütlichkeit. It goes well with Stammtisch.

Since we are (were) talking grandkids, this is Anya.
Anya.jpg
She's the one on the left. Now she's 17 and trying to decide between Stanford and Yale. :)

ps. RIP Robin Williams, and thanks to whomever posted that clip. What a genius he was.
Anya should watch this show

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #145,169 of 149,612
I have had the Willet before but not the other two. I crossed five people off my suspect list since they had already sent gifts.😉
Well, whoever sent it recognizes your design acumen as well as your fine craftsmanship. You cannot buy the things that you design and build in a store.

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #145,170 of 149,612
I don't have a cat, but I do have a granddaughter. Gwennie turned 1 last week. :D

1711379992223.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back