Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #144,872 of 150,075
Working up a post-nup for the wife to sign before clicking on BUY. :D

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #144,873 of 150,075
While I do not for a moment doubt the qualities of the Kara, I bought a used silver Freya S in mint condition for under half the cost, and have put it to good use.

It’s the front end of a system using a Gumby as the digital source and feeding a pair of ATC SCM-19A active towers and a Totem Storm sub. The ATCs have bi-amping built into their bases, providing about 125W of power combined.

The combination of ATC-built and tuned amps perfectly married to a two-way speaker design with excellent, near-reference-quality drivers makes for enchanting listening across most genres. In addition, the powerful sound the ATCs project has effortless dynamics and very impressive imaging, the latter being in the same league as top-notch two-way standmounts. Fortunately the ATCs have a generous low end, supplemented fairly seamlessly by the Totem sub.

While the Freya S is a notch less forward and detailed in the midrange and treble of my Ray Samuels Audio The Apache (which I have used as a preamp at times, now being used as a full-time headamp), it is possibly the best sub-$400 audio purchase I’ve ever made. The only notable difference I’ve heard so far is a relaxation of leading transients and “air” around the vocals and percussion in some recordings.

An example of this is the Foo Fighters’ “Stranger Things Have Happened”. The recording features Dave Grohl, two acoustic guitars, and a metronome (!). With The Apache, the metronome is crisply outlined in the air, suspended in space about three feet off the ground. Dave’s voice emanates from about two-three feet above the ticking instrument, slightly forward from it.

Once the Freya S was in use, the metronome became hazier in its outline, slightly harder to hear, and Dave’s voice was slightly veiled. The latter almost gives a more tube-like fuzziness to the midrange, so it’s hardly a concern to me. However, it’s interesting to observe, and really proves how quiet Ray Samuels’ dual-mono design is in The Apache.

The acoustic guitars in this track seem to be much more in the Freya’s “sweet spot”, losing very little to The Apache. Or, perhaps, the complexity of the guitar reproduction makes it harder to discern the differences. Regardless, the guitars sound realistic and full-bodied.

That the Freya S (in 1x gain mode) gets as close to a $3,000, dual-mono topology, two-chassis preamp as it does is truly remarkable. Doubly so for the price, whether its former new price ($600) or what I paid.

To exercise an old chestnut, the Freya S is hot Schiit- and I believe reviewers that the Kara is even better. On that note, does owning (and loving) two pieces of Schiit make me a Schiithead?

Not only does this gear sound good, it’s fun to write about, too! 😉 Enjoy the music, all-
I concur with your Freya S and ATC active observations. Freya S is great value, to do perceptively better one needs to spend 4-5x its retail value. As for ATC SCMnnA, I have a setup with SCM40As that I'm very fond of, even though they lack by design the lowest bass. But ATC has some tempting subs...

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #144,874 of 150,075
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #144,875 of 150,075
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #144,876 of 150,075
Yes, in my experience, another trait of the dynamic high impedance ‘phones is a rolled off bass. All my set-ups include some form of EQ, typically with Loki or Lokius, and my comments reflect a mild bass boost. Also I typically listen at low db, so more bass boost, e.g 4 db.

YMMV of course.
My mileage: listening to some great double bass work (Christian McBride & Edgar Meyer via Qobuz>Roon) on ZMF Atrium and the bass solidity and detail are excellent. But then, the rest of the chain was carefully chosen -- see my sig).

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:36 AM Post #144,878 of 150,075
My mileage: listening to some great double bass work (Christian McBride & Edgar Meyer via Qobuz>Roon) on ZMF Atrium and the bass solidity and detail are excellent. But then, the rest of the chain was carefully chosen -- see my sig).
Agreed for e.g. Auteurs. Haven't heard the Atrium. And system synergy matters 'much'. My comment was for
a. in general and
b. somewhat less expensive 'phones than the Atrium
But also, I encourage people to not hesitate to use a bit of EQ, especially in the audio domain.

Enjoy the music!
Noah
edit: oops, that should be analog domain:rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #144,881 of 150,075
Does anyone actually talk about Schiit gear on this forum? Seems everyone is completley off topic .

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #144,882 of 150,075
Does anyone actually talk about Schiit gear on this forum? Seems everyone is completley off topic .
Naw, this is the whiskey, woodwork, jazz, and tubetalk thread. :ksc75smile:

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:46 AM Post #144,883 of 150,075
what is that badging on top? Look so sharp! This little shelf is a pure hit.
I also really like the contrast that the dark wood provides vs the Tiger stripe. Well done, Sir.

In case you need a better look
20240323_234742.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #144,884 of 150,075
Got a question for you multi-media types. I have a nice new Modi multibit which was intended to take the toslink feed from the TV and send it out to some powered speakers. But the bloody cable I have will NOT fit securely into the Modi although there were no issues with the TV end. Anyone have any suggestions for optical cables that do not have this issue?

Mar 24, 2024 at 2:01 AM Post #144,885 of 150,075
Got a question for you multi-media types. I have a nice new Modi multibit which was intended to take the toslink feed from the TV and send it out to some powered speakers. But the bloody cable I have will NOT fit securely into the Modi although there were no issues with the TV end. Anyone have any suggestions for optical cables that do not have this issue?
I have this one. Works!

Amazon Basics Toslink Digital Optical Audio Cable, Multi-Channel, for Audio System, Sound Bar, Home Theatre, Gold-Plated Connectors, 9.8 Foot, Black
https://a.co/d/geGSLUy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back