Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #144,856 of 152,010
what is that badging on top? Look so sharp!
It is something a gentleman on here made for me, TS audio works. I had several left over so I figured I would add one for this piece.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #144,857 of 152,010
It is something a gentleman on here made for me, TS audio works. I had several left over so I figured I would add one for this piece.
Great idea, sets it all off.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #144,858 of 152,010
While I do not for a moment doubt the qualities of the Kara, I bought a used silver Freya S in mint condition for under half the cost, and have put it to good use.

It’s the front end of a system using a Gumby as the digital source and feeding a pair of ATC SCM-19A active towers and a Totem Storm sub. The ATCs have bi-amping built into their bases, providing about 125W of power combined.

The combination of ATC-built and tuned amps perfectly married to a two-way speaker design with excellent, near-reference-quality drivers makes for enchanting listening across most genres. In addition, the powerful sound the ATCs project has effortless dynamics and very impressive imaging, the latter being in the same league as top-notch two-way standmounts. Fortunately the ATCs have a generous low end, supplemented fairly seamlessly by the Totem sub.

While the Freya S is a notch less forward and detailed in the midrange and treble of my Ray Samuels Audio The Apache (which I have used as a preamp at times, now being used as a full-time headamp), it is possibly the best sub-$400 audio purchase I’ve ever made. The only notable difference I’ve heard so far is a relaxation of leading transients and “air” around the vocals and percussion in some recordings.

An example of this is the Foo Fighters’ “Stranger Things Have Happened”. The recording features Dave Grohl, two acoustic guitars, and a metronome (!). With The Apache, the metronome is crisply outlined in the air, suspended in space about three feet off the ground. Dave’s voice emanates from about two-three feet above the ticking instrument, slightly forward from it.

Once the Freya S was in use, the metronome became hazier in its outline, slightly harder to hear, and Dave’s voice was slightly veiled. The latter almost gives a more tube-like fuzziness to the midrange, so it’s hardly a concern to me. However, it’s interesting to observe, and really proves how quiet Ray Samuels’ dual-mono design is in The Apache.

The acoustic guitars in this track seem to be much more in the Freya’s “sweet spot”, losing very little to The Apache. Or, perhaps, the complexity of the guitar reproduction makes it harder to discern the differences. Regardless, the guitars sound realistic and full-bodied.

That the Freya S (in 1x gain mode) gets as close to a $3,000, dual-mono topology, two-chassis preamp as it does is truly remarkable. Doubly so for the price, whether its former new price ($600) or what I paid.

To exercise an old chestnut, the Freya S is hot Schiit- and I believe reviewers that the Kara is even better. On that note, does owning (and loving) two pieces of Schiit make me a Schiithead?

Not only does this gear sound good, it’s fun to write about, too! 😉 Enjoy the music, all-
You ought to try the Freya S in x4 gain mode. Different presentation and a well reviewed mode. Kara on the other end x1. YMMV.

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #144,859 of 152,010
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #144,860 of 152,010
Hell’s ducks on a saltine, I need to find a better class of friends to build for.🤪🤪🤪
Yeah, probably. But they won't be near as much fun. 🤣

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #144,861 of 152,010
Mar 23, 2024 at 10:45 PM Post #144,863 of 152,010
Geez, go to San Francisco for the day to see the ballet and come back to umpteen new pages. Y'all are unstoppable!

Went to the SF Ballet today. Performance was "A Midsummer Night's Dream" AKA Fairies Mess With Everyone. Music was live, which was lovely and reminds me what we're trying to capture with all these headphones and Schiit - live music is still amazing!

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #144,865 of 152,010
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #144,866 of 152,010
Bought my last SACD for the DSD tracks. No more.

While I love my Denon DVD3910 and I've kept it as my CD player because of SACD playback, since getting Yggy, I cannot listen to the Denon imbedded DAC. It sounds thin, harsh, and dull by comparison. I used to love listening to SACD via the Denon and it was awesome (I thought), but Redbook CD via Yggy just smoked it! Yggy has spoiled me irreparably.

I see an Urd in my future. 😒
What flavor Yggy did you acquire?

Mar 23, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #144,867 of 152,010
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:52 PM Post #144,868 of 152,010
Mar 23, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #144,870 of 152,010
It may be sooner rather than later, I'm afraid. :unamused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back