Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #144,811 of 149,685
Craft Recordings is an excellent reissue label. I have Waltz For Debby and it is one of the quietest and finest sounding pressings in my collection.
I have a few of their recent LP reissues ('Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section', Chet Baker 'Chet', Kenny Dorham 'Quiet Kenny') and they truly are exceptional records.

I have mentioned this here before but I love that Craft releases 192/24 versions of their reissues on the streaming services. Just streamed Art Pepper +11 earlier and it was wonderful.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #144,812 of 149,685
dude, i wish. tried finding a board for sale and thought i had one but the guy reneged.
At any rate can miss what you never had lol, and this is very good. A step up to my ears from Gumby A2, which I did love as well.
Certainly feels like a helluva bargain for the $1195 I paid.
Ahh, okay, that is where I recall the "A2" from then :)
Absolute bargain for what you're getting, nice find!
Just got my OG A2 back from the Schiit mothership sporting the new Yggy+ chassis - sleek, lower profile, and reactivated the warranty to boot
One happy Schiitizen I am
:beerchug:

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #144,813 of 149,685
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #144,814 of 149,685
Zero-th: disclaimer: I have a furtwangr hiding in the wings. For this and other reasons I am predisposed to (dynamic) high impedance (at least 200 ohms) headphones. Not exclusive, but predisposed. (A generality: Planars are ‘faster'--stronger attacks-- but dynamics have other advantages in my experience.):sweat:

First, if you have not tried the Sennheiser HD 600/650 WITH Dekoni finistrated pads, do that! For me that was a distinct step up for the Senn’s. (Currently you can find those Senn’s new at street price of $400 or so.) :relieved:

Second. My money is on the JAR600 (Nitsche Sound, $850), but those require patience.
Mine may arrive around Christmas...:sleeping:

Third/Thud I assume ZMF Ateur at about $1500 is a step too far. :scream:

Hope this helps
Noah
Curious what the Dekoni pads do to the sound. I'm borrowing a friend's 6XX and I'm generally digging them. I just wish they had more low end authority. Bass is there but recessed against the other frequencies, imo.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #144,815 of 149,685
DANGER: HERESEY ALERT!

A sophisticated hoarder collector does not sell their hoard collection to support the mere whims of financial existence. Finances exist to support the hoard collection. 🤣
It is hard to eat tubes, even with a lot of hot mustard!

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #144,817 of 149,685
Another Kara victim...
While I do not for a moment doubt the qualities of the Kara, I bought a used silver Freya S in mint condition for under half the cost, and have put it to good use.

It’s the front end of a system using a Gumby as the digital source and feeding a pair of ATC SCM-19A active towers and a Totem Storm sub. The ATCs have bi-amping built into their bases, providing about 125W of power combined.

The combination of ATC-built and tuned amps perfectly married to a two-way speaker design with excellent, near-reference-quality drivers makes for enchanting listening across most genres. In addition, the powerful sound the ATCs project has effortless dynamics and very impressive imaging, the latter being in the same league as top-notch two-way standmounts. Fortunately the ATCs have a generous low end, supplemented fairly seamlessly by the Totem sub.

While the Freya S is a notch less forward and detailed in the midrange and treble of my Ray Samuels Audio The Apache (which I have used as a preamp at times, now being used as a full-time headamp), it is possibly the best sub-$400 audio purchase I’ve ever made. The only notable difference I’ve heard so far is a relaxation of leading transients and “air” around the vocals and percussion in some recordings.

An example of this is the Foo Fighters’ “Stranger Things Have Happened”. The recording features Dave Grohl, two acoustic guitars, and a metronome (!). With The Apache, the metronome is crisply outlined in the air, suspended in space about three feet off the ground. Dave’s voice emanates from about two-three feet above the ticking instrument, slightly forward from it.

Once the Freya S was in use, the metronome became hazier in its outline, slightly harder to hear, and Dave’s voice was slightly veiled. The latter almost gives a more tube-like fuzziness to the midrange, so it’s hardly a concern to me. However, it’s interesting to observe, and really proves how quiet Ray Samuels’ dual-mono design is in The Apache.

The acoustic guitars in this track seem to be much more in the Freya’s “sweet spot”, losing very little to The Apache. Or, perhaps, the complexity of the guitar reproduction makes it harder to discern the differences. Regardless, the guitars sound realistic and full-bodied.

That the Freya S (in 1x gain mode) gets as close to a $3,000, dual-mono topology, two-chassis preamp as it does is truly remarkable. Doubly so for the price, whether its former new price ($600) or what I paid.

To exercise an old chestnut, the Freya S is hot Schiit- and I believe reviewers that the Kara is even better. On that note, does owning (and loving) two pieces of Schiit make me a Schiithead?

Not only does this gear sound good, it’s fun to write about, too! 😉 Enjoy the music, all-

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #144,820 of 149,685
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #144,823 of 149,685
IMG_7609.jpeg

Final assembly tomorrow, the top piece is removable to allow for a Vali. Tomorrow I also hope to carve out a portion of a flight board for um, recreational use?🤪

Gorgeous design and craftmanship! 🤩

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #144,825 of 149,685
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back