Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #143,551 of 149,698
With all of the talk of Whiskies, and total wine and such, I decided to head over to total wine ( about 3 miles away). They had the Oregon Spirit Rye and they said it was on sale. So I bought some and it is good, and a nice departure from my regular drink of Laphroaig. However even on sale it was more than that Laphroaig. I do not have one of those new fangle Whisky serving boards so I just took the picture on one of the cutting boards that I own.

I went in for my favorite BiB.

image_2024-03-16_213159291.png

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #143,552 of 149,698
I find that there's way too much (breadth) that's categorized as "jazz". There's a lot of atonal screeching to my ears that I just can't take yet is highly celebrated, but then there's another whole section that I find super relaxing. And no, I'm not talking about smooth jazz.
yeah I agree with this, of course. Huge range and some is magical and some is pure shat. Although that could be said about some other genres, too.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #143,553 of 149,698
I find that there's way too much (breadth) that's categorized as "jazz". There's a lot of atonal screeching to my ears that I just can't take yet is highly celebrated, but then there's another whole section that I find super relaxing. And no, I'm not talking about smooth jazz.
Care to make a few suggestions?

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #143,554 of 149,698
I love all sorts of Jazz, mostly older but I really enjoy many of the suggestions here and on Qobuz

I have a lots of Bee Bop, Vocal, 40's - 90's

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #143,555 of 149,698
Who would serve bourbon worthy of conveyance on your flight board in their bare feet? Geeez, man....I moved to OK, not a stone-age cave. (those are all south of here) 🤣
Uh, but I live in SoCal and am always barefoot. Does that really mean I can't drink or serve good whiskey or a nice glass of Cab?

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #143,556 of 149,698
Can't go wrong with:

Frank Sinatra
Ella Fitzgerald

Mile's Davis (Kinda Blue, Sketches of Spain, etc)

John Coltrane - Love Supreme

Dave Brubeck - Time's Up

Charles Mingus - Mingus Uh Um

Lot's of the Marsalis Brothers

Sarah Vaughan

Thelonious Monk

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #143,557 of 149,698
Uh, but I live in SoCal and am always barefoot. Does that really mean I can't drink or serve good whiskey or a nice glass of Cab?
To each his own, of course. I simply prefer my butler to be wearing his finely polished Christian Louboutins when he serves mine. 🤣

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:59 PM Post #143,559 of 149,698
A good intro to classic Jazz would be any Bosch TV series inspired playlist on Qobuz or Tidal. 😉

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #143,560 of 149,698
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #143,561 of 149,698
It's really hard, but see my previous post for one. To me there's a big difference between Sinatra (or Michael Bublé assuming I got that accent in the correct direction on his surname) and say Mingus or Oscar Peterson (playing now on Urd > Yggy OG -> Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies->LCD-5 since I had to switch from the Maggy system to headphones as people want to sleep in the house)

I'm very much still on the journey, but I seem to mostly enjoy stuff from the 50s and 60s. But like I said, it's hard to say. My sister told me she "hates jazz", but screamed her head off when I took her to see Bublè (see what I did there? Hedging my bets instead of actually bothering to check to accent grave vs the other option I'm too arsed to also look up right now). There's an old, massive thread here with the title roughly "wanting to/on a journey to like jazz, any recommendations?" (which I'm also too lazy to find the exact name for right now, sorry) that will give a ton of recommendations, though I did find it to differ from the breath problem of the genre definition of "jazz"

EDIT: Totally left out Urd in that stack, doh! Used CDs are a bargain at the moment and make the Urd cheaper each time I hit the records store.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #143,562 of 149,698
Some of my favorites:
Jazz at the Pawnshop
Ellington - Jazz Party
Adam Ben Ezra - Hide and Seek
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Dave Holland Quintet - Extended Play, Live at Birdland
Jeff Goldblum - The Capitol Studio Sessions
Götz Alsmann - Filmreif!
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Brubeck - Time Out
Hugh Laurie - Didn’t it Rain
Ellington at Newport

“Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue” on the latter is my all-time favorite jazz recording OF ALL TIME. The energy is once in a lifetime levels of insane.

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #143,563 of 149,698
Here are some of my picks:

Coleman Hawkins “At Ease with Coleman Hawkins”
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers “Three Blind Mice”
Chet Baker Sings (He can’t actually sing, but there is a certain charm in how he tries.)
Ornette Coleman “The Shape of Jazz To Come” more “out there” than a lot of Jazz, but very good.
Django Reinhardt
Bill Evans “The Complete Village Vanguard 1961”
Leon Sash “This is The Jazz Accordion” - Ideal if you like jazz but feel there just isn’t enough accordion in it.
Henry Mancini “The Pink Panther Theme”. Very well done Pop-Jazz
Herbie Hancock “Headhunters” Actually most of Hancock’s work is worth listening to.
Joe Henderson
Oscar Peterson “Night Train”
Wayne Shorter “Beyond the Sound Barrier”
And many others…

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #143,564 of 149,698
Just back from scoring 15 CDs at $1 each from a local library used sale. Got 4 mercury living presences and 2 rca shaded doggy’s… now up

Respighi

PS: <poke> imaging and soundstaging wonderfully… depth, placement, bloom, heft, delicacy… wonderful. Can’t wait for the Fountains and Pines part with the KILLER bass!

Apologies for the painting mess; we’ve finally finished this room and are now working on the master suite (back/left). FWIW there is 5+ feet behind the Duetta Siggy’s… and the hall goes symmetrically left and right on either side… so I “unload” that end of the room for bass, which is awesome. Best room I’ve ever had for these: 15.5 x 25.5… my own concert hall… Bismarck is asleep on wifey’s lap in her chair to my immediate left.

Music, beer, wifey, dog… bliss

IMG_0183.jpeg
Speaking of Respighi, there's a 1993 release on DG of Pines, Fountains, and the Roman Festival by the New York Phil with Guiseppe Sinopoli that I have always thought was outstandingly performed and recorded. Very engaging and dynamic Compact Disc!

Mar 16, 2024 at 11:12 PM Post #143,565 of 149,698
Some of my favorites:
Jazz at the Pawnshop
Ellington - Jazz Party
Adam Ben Ezra - Hide and Seek
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Dave Holland Quintet - Extended Play, Live at Birdland
Jeff Goldblum - The Capitol Studio Sessions
Götz Alsmann - Filmreif!
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Brubeck - Time Out
Hugh Laurie - Didn’t it Rain
Ellington at Newport

“Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue” on the latter is my all-time favorite jazz recording OF ALL TIME. The energy is once in a lifetime levels of insane.
Thanks, I think I actually enjoy Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert. I'll work my way thru the others as I get time. Anything like this that might be a little slower and less frenetic?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back