Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #142,831 of 149,552
Gotta tell the ole lady that it's a scientific FACT that bit-perfect music improves digital bedroom performance.
FTFY...[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 🤣

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #142,832 of 149,552
Just tell her that it is a cooling fan/spacer chassis.

You and Bill certainly have a lot of traits in common.
.... they both epitomise Vali Of The Dolls 🤪

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:29 PM Post #142,833 of 149,552
For me, listening to Kenny G. is akin to eating Kellogg's Frosted Flakes with maple syrup instead of milk. But I also loathe when Jazz musicians just blow a bunch of random notes for minutes at a time before (if ever) returning to the melody they claim to be playing! WTI, indeed! I despise that as much as I hate (the aptly named) "scat" and "runs" "singing".

If I wanted to hear someone play or sing badly I would do so my self. YUCK!

$20 says I can do both way worse than you. 🤣

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #142,834 of 149,552
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #142,835 of 149,552
.... just think, for another 2" .... a LP (long player 😳🤣)

An AI generated image before AI generated images were a thing…
I'm not positive, my thoughts are he was already part of the Borg.
Australia…:beerchug:

My first headphones were Kenwood, they were awesome as our stereo was right next to the TV and I had to lie on the floor to listen to Disraeli Gears or some such as my parents watched Perry Mason. I assume they had good isolation.
My first phone was a can, connected by twine submersed in melted wax/candles from Mom's sideboard. Maybe 75 yards, taught, connected to another can.

Mar 12, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #142,836 of 149,552
Mar 12, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #142,837 of 149,552
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #142,838 of 149,552
AEGIR 2 vs 2x GHorns

OK. So it’s time to give some of MY thoughts on GHorn mono-blocks vs 1x Aegir 2 amplifier.

I’ll try to be to the point. The mono-block GHorns are very good amps. Aegir 2 is a very, very good amp. I’ll focus on the commonalities and then the differences that I experienced in my room, with my gear, using my ears, and my music. (Spoiler: The Aegir 2 wins).

Things in common:

• Both drive my speakers to my typical listening levels which is typically 86dB peak.
  • Both have a nice wide soundstage (sorry Ableza) with good placement of instruments.
  • Both had a solid center stage, placing vocalists right in the center (recording dependent of course).
  • Both exhibit the Schiit ‘House Sound’, which I perceive as being a tad bit north of neutral (aka warm) but not to the point of being colored or dark.
  • Both have good timbre and tonality with acoustic instruments.
  • Both give instruments their own ‘space’ resulting in an open an uncongested presentation (recording dependent of course).
  • Both amps are quiet with no noise at the speaker or coming from the enclosure.
  • Both have excellent bass extension and open/airy highs.
Where the Aegir 2 wins (IMHO):

• It just does all of the above better. 😉
  • The soundstage (sorry Ableza) is a bit more holographic and while equally as wide as GHorns, offered a bit more depth and height. A bit more holographic.
  • Timbre and tonality is a step-up, with a more notable expression of acoustic instruments. It became easier for me to hear the contribution the whole instrument made. Ex: the wood in a stand-up bass, the skin on a drum, or even the wood of the stick in a rim-shot or the felt on a timpani mallet or the felt pads on piano hammers. It became easier to identify the unique sounds the different cymbal types. I could better identify the finger sound in the finger pluck. Just more detail. The phrase “hearing deeper into the music” keeps coming to mind.
  • The Aegir 2 seemed to give more space to the instruments. Sure the GHorns did too, but the Aegir 2 just did it better and in width/height/depth. It honestly felt like the instruments had their own 3D space as opposed to the 2D space (H x W) of the GHorns.
  • The Aegir 2 seemed ‘quieter’. Sounds came from what seems like a blacker background (sorry Ableza). It’s hard to describe as the GHorns were quiet, but the contrast between silence and sound was not as great. (I’m struggling to describe this one, if you can’t tell.)
  • The highs were a tad airier and things such as cymbals, bells, etc., hung out in air longer having a bit more decay into silence.
  • Bass sounds more extended. Aegir 2 has a better grip presenting a more controlled and impactful bass. At first, I thought it was ‘more’ bass, but I’ve come to realize it is really just ‘better’ bass. The speakers (not the sub) were delivering a tight, controlled punch and bass presence I’d never heard before with any amp. (Was it Halo? Halo if I know.)
Summary:

Well, the summary is not going to be Earth shattering. The Aegir 2 is better. Does it deliver notable improvements over 2x GHorns? I think so. Is it leaps and bounds better or 33% more $$ better? Depends on how much you value what it delivers over and above the GHorns. If I had to think of a line that describes why I think Aegir sounds so good and better than the GHorns, it would be how it reproduces outstanding music in an effortless fashion. It never comes across as working hard. Everything comes with a level of effortlessness, ease, and liquidity. I’m really having a tough time identifying why the GHorns don’t deliver this level of perceived effortlessness because they do not sound bad by a longshot. Aegier 2 just says “Pffft. Hold my beer.” and then proceeds to effortlessly deliver wonderful music like I’ve not heard. Yeah, I’m struggling to communicate this, too. It's a feeling I get when listening to Aegir 2 -- one that is hard to express. I'm just more at-ease and relaxed. I'm hearing more without forcing my brain and ears to hear it. I don't have to look for and find the subtle details in music, Aegir 2 just says "Here you go." and delivers it. My listening for musical enjoyment and critical listening have converged.

I think it is safe to say that I won’t be amp shopping for a long time.

*Disclaimers: I am not a professional reviewer as can be seen by my grammar, spelling, etc. This is all IMHO, YMMV, IME and AFAIK.

My setup:
  • Schiit Frey+ N preamp
    • Connected to Yggy via Snake Oil XLR cables
    • SE outputs are via World’s Best Cables (Uni-directional Canare cable)
    • Matched pair 1960s Foton 6N6P Gold Grid tubes (cathode follower - left sockets)
    • Matched pair Raytheon 7728 (ruggedized 12AT7) tubes (gain - right sockets)
  • Yggdrasil GS2 with Unison upgrade and the original Analog 1 cards
  • Raspberry Pi 4B (8GB) running RoPieee as a Roon Endpoint
    • USB to Yggy using Pangea USB cable
    • Network connection via TPLInk USB wireless dongle/ antenna
  • Intel Core i5 headless computer as my Roon server.
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • Running Fidelizer Pro to essentially lower and/or stop non-audio processes and dedicate resources (RAM and CPU) to Roon server and any audio services.
    • Internal SATA SSD drive for OS and applications (Roon and Fidelizer)
    • USB SSD connected using AQ Jitterbug USB line and power filter. (I know)
    • TPLInk USB wireless dongle/ antenna using AQ Jitterbug USB line and power filter. (I know)
  • Tekton Designs Lore Reference speakers
    • Upgraded crossover and binding posts
    • Solid billet copper Cardas inputs
    • Mil-spec internal wiring
    • Mundorf or ClarityCap for the tweeter section
    • Oversized Jantzen or Erse Sledgehammer inductor for the woofer/mid section.
    • Perfect impulse time-alignment
    • 8″ transducer (woofer/mid)
    • Hybrid HF transducer (ring tweeter)
    • Dual front-facing ports
    • 96dB 1W@1m
    • 8 Ohm impedance
    • 37Hz-40kHz frequency response
    • 400 watts power handling
    • Height 36″ x Width 10.25″ x Depth 11.75″
  • Ryhthmik L12 powered servo sealed enclosure subwoofer
  • All Power Cords are Pangea AC-14 cables
  • Speaker cables are 2x 6’ runs of SUPRA Ply 3.4 WIDE cables with Blue Jean Cables screw lock banana connectors.
  • Listening space
    • 12’ x 12’ room with 8 foot ceilings
    • Speakers are 2’ from the front wall
    • A diffuser panel is on the front wall behind and between the speakers
    • Foam absorption and diffuser panels are near the corners behind the speakers
    • A diffuser / absorption panel is at the point of 1st reflection on the side wall
    • Foam absorption and diffuser panels along with acoustic tile panels are located at various spots along the rear wall
    • 6’ foam corner bass traps are located on the rear listening room corners
    • Seating position is at approx. ear-level between woofer/mid and tweeter (tweeters are below the woofer/mid on this speaker)
    • Speakers are a tad over 6’ feet apart and my listening position is 6’ from each speaker
    • Speakers are toed in where the tweeter direct line is pointed to each shoulder (left speaker to left shoulder, etc.)
  • Listening
    • All my listening was via Roon (16/44.1 or higher) and was a mixture of classic rock, Jazz (acoustic and electric).

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #142,839 of 149,552
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #142,841 of 149,552
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #142,842 of 149,552
Mar 12, 2024 at 11:27 PM Post #142,843 of 149,552
AEGIR 2 vs 2x GHorns

OK. So it’s time to give some of MY thoughts on GHorn mono-blocks vs 1x Aegir 2 amplifier.

I’ll try to be to the point. The mono-block GHorns are very good amps. Aegir 2 is a very, very good amp. I’ll focus on the commonalities and then the differences that I experienced in my room, with my gear, using my ears, and my music. (Spoiler: The Aegir 2 wins).

Things in common:

• Both drive my speakers to my typical listening levels which is typically 86dB peak.
  • Both have a nice wide soundstage (sorry Ableza) with good placement of instruments.
  • Both had a solid center stage, placing vocalists right in the center (recording dependent of course).
  • Both exhibit the Schiit ‘House Sound’, which I perceive as being a tad bit north of neutral (aka warm) but not to the point of being colored or dark.
  • Both have good timbre and tonality with acoustic instruments.
  • Both give instruments their own ‘space’ resulting in an open an uncongested presentation (recording dependent of course).
  • Both amps are quiet with no noise at the speaker or coming from the enclosure.
  • Both have excellent bass extension and open/airy highs.
Where the Aegir 2 wins (IMHO):

• It just does all of the above better. 😉
  • The soundstage (sorry Ableza) is a bit more holographic and while equally as wide as GHorns, offered a bit more depth and height. A bit more holographic.
  • Timbre and tonality is a step-up, with a more notable expression of acoustic instruments. It became easier for me to hear the contribution the whole instrument made (ex: the wood in a stand-up bass, the skin on a drum, or even the wood of the stick in a rim-shot or the felt on a timpani mallet or the felt pads on piano hammers. It became easier to identify the unique sounds the different cymbal types. I could better identify the finger sound in the finger pluck. Just more detail. The phrase “hearing deeper into the music” keeps coming to mind.
  • The Aegir 2 seemed to give more space to the instruments. Sure the GHorns did too, but the Aegir 2 just did it better and in width/height/depth. It honestly felt like the instruments had their own 3D space as opposed to the 2D space (H x W) of the GHorns.
  • The Aegir 2 seemed ‘quieter’. Sounds came from what seems like a blacker background (sorry Ableza). It’s hard to describe as the GHorns were quiet, but the contrast between silence and sound was not as great. (I’m struggling to describe this one, if you can’t tell.)
  • The highs were a tad airier and things such as cymbals, bells, etc., hung out in air longer having a bit more decay into silence.
  • Bass sounds more extended. Aegir 2 has a better grip presenting a more controlled and impactful bass. At first, I thought it was ‘more’ bass, but I’ve come to realize it is really just ‘better’ bass. The speakers (not the sub) were delivering a tight, controlled punch and bass presence I’d never heard before with any amp. (Was it Halo? Halo if I know.)
Summary:

Well, the summary is not going to be Earth shattering. The Aegir 2 is better. Does it deliver notable improvements over 2x GHorns? I think so. Is it leaps and bounds better or 33% better? Depends on how much you value what it delivers over and above the GHorns. If I had to think of a line that describes why I think Aegir sounds so good and better than the GHorns, it would be how it reproduces outstanding music in an effortless fashion. It never comes across as working hard. Everything comes with a level of effortlessness, ease, and liquidity. I’m really having a tough time identifying why the GHorns don’t deliver this level of perceived effortlessness because they do not sound bad by a longshot. Aegier 2 just says “Pffft. Hold my beer.” and then proceeds to effortlessly deliver wonderful music like I’ve not heard it previously. (Yeah, I’m struggling to communicate this, too.)

I think it is safe to say that I won’t be amp shopping for a long time.

*Disclaimers: I am not a professional reviewer as can be seen by my grammar, spelling, etc. This is all IMHO, YMMV, IME and AFAIK.

My setup:
  • Schiit Frey+ N preamp
    • Connected to Yggy is via Snake Oil XLR cables
    • SE outputs are via World’s Best Cables (Uni-directional Canare cable)
    • Matched pair 1960s Foton 6N6P Gold Grid tubes (cathode follower - left sockets)
    • Matched pair Raytheon 7728 (ruggedized 12AT7) tubes (gain - right sockets)
  • Yggdrasil GS2 with Unison upgrade and the original Analog 1 cards
  • Raspberry Pi 4B (8GB) running RoPieee as a Roon Endpoint
    • USB to Yggy using Pangea USB cable
    • Network connection via TPLInk USB wireless dongle/ antenna
  • Intel Core i5 headless computer as my Roon server.
    • Windows 10 Pro
    • Running Fidelizer Pro to essentially lower and/or stop non-audio processes and dedicate resources (RAM and CPU) to Roon server and any audio services.
    • Internal SATA SSD drive for OS and applications (Roon and Fidelizer)
    • USB SSD connected using AQ Jitterbug USB line and power filter. (I know)
    • TPLInk USB wireless dongle/ antenna using AQ Jitterbug USB line and power filter. (I know)
  • Tekton Designs Lore Reference speakers
    • Upgraded crossover and binding posts
    • Solid billet copper Cardas inputs
    • Mil-spec internal wiring
    • Mundorf or ClarityCap for the tweeter section
    • Oversized Jantzen or Erse Sledgehammer inductor for the woofer/mid section.
    • Perfect impulse time-alignment
    • 8″ transducer (woofer/mid)
    • Hybrid HF transducer (ring tweeter)
    • Dual front-facing ports
    • 96dB 1W@1m
    • 8 Ohm impedance
    • 37Hz-40kHz frequency response
    • 400 watts power handling
    • Height 36″ x Width 10.25″ x Depth 11.75″
  • Ryhthmik L12 powered servo sealed enclosure subwoofer
  • All Power Cords are Pangea AC-14 cables
  • Speaker cables are 2x 6’ runs of SUPRA Ply 3.4 WIDE cables with Blue Jean Cables twist lock banana connectors.
  • Listening space
    • 12’ x 12’ room with 8 foot ceilings
    • Speakers are 2’ from the front wall
    • A diffuser panel is on the front wall behind and between the speakers
    • Foam absorption and diffuser panels are near the corners behind the speakers
    • A diffuser / absorption panel is at the point of 1st reflection in the side wall
    • Foam absorption and diffuser panels along with acoustic tile panels are located at various spots along the rear wall
    • 6’ foam corner bass traps are located on the rear listening room corners
    • Seating position is at approx. ear-level between woofer/mid and tweeter (tweeters are below the woofers on this speaker)
    • Speakers are a tad over 6’ feet apart and my listening position is 6’ from each speaker
    • Speakers are toed in where the tweeter direct line is pointed to each shoulder (left speaker to left shoulder, etc.)
  • Listening
    • All my listening was via Roon (16/44.1 or higher) and was a mixture of classic rock, Jazz (acoustic and electric).
That was a great review!

I believe that being off work suits you!

Mar 12, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #142,844 of 149,552
Bcowen favourite album: Best of [Sylvania 7N7] Frankie Vali ..... 🕺💃 ..... 🤪
🤣

Frankie Vali's last photo op:

Vali and Frank.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back