Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:01 PM Post #142,471 of 149,694
I honestly do not think it would carry the Vali name if it was not a Hybrid. Something that radically different from prior Valis would warrant a different name...

Like Valhalla 3. 😄

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #142,472 of 149,694
For those looking for some bass tracks try Lady Blackbird's Black Acid Soul.

BlackAcidSoul.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #142,473 of 149,694
Ok. With my limited audio vocabulary, I'll try...

Fast!
Precise!
Detailed!
Airy!
Visceral!
Palpable!

Finger plucks were precise. Overtones and undertones on either side of the primary note were distinguishable. Air around the notes and conveyance of the space was wonderful.

I'm running out of ways to describe it other than F'ing amazing and fun! Someone wipe this stupid grin from my face! 😄

Excellent! Now play a sonorous piano solo at normal live volume. Walk out the room. How does it sound from that perspective? Like a piano in the other room?

Something like this: https://open.qobuz.com/track/250391891

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #142,474 of 149,694
Curious to know more about the topology on the Vali 3 as well. Is it still considered a tube hybrid?
That mat under the picture said fully discrete. The canjam impressions thread said it was the same tube as the 2++.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #142,475 of 149,694
An aside...

All this concern about Aegir running hot caused me to pull out my laser thermometer and give the ole Aegir 2 a scan at one of the heatsinks. Aegir 2 was right at 104F as Jason specified. What I found funny is that Freya+ in tube mode ran 109.4F at left top of the chassis away from the tubes. No one really expresses any concern about that, but I guess that's a given with tubes! :D
i did see a guy on another forum that bought a couple of smaller heatsinks and placed them top of the left side of his Freya+ with thermal pads underneath. He said they really brought down the temp.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #142,477 of 149,694
Too bad that you cannot compare it with the OG Aegir (Halo), it is also nice and I do not need the subwoofer, very good and tight bass from a small stand mount Dali Opticon 1 MKII, the bass cone is only a bit more than 4 inches .... Am I wrong bought the OG Aegir? I do not think so, but now you told us how the Aegir 2 performs, THANK YOU !
it probably won't be too long before someone compares the two.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #142,478 of 149,694
I haven't really started thinking about Ragnarok 3 yet, but some initial thoughts:

Chokes--no
Continuity--maybe
Standby--absolutely
Switchable Halo?--no good way to do Halo on a balanced differential topology, SE not quite enough for many headphones; Rag 3 will stay Nexus
Feedback Yes/No--maybe no overall feedback switch
Push Pull vs Single Ended--doesn't apply, not Class A.
Dac and phono cards vs no cards--probably only done one way with multiple digital inputs and phono input standard

But...who knows? This is wayyyyyyyyyyy far out.
Standby ftw. Optical for TV use will be the icing on the cake- I'd buy one.

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #142,483 of 149,694
At first glance the Vali 3 looks too pedestrian for me. At second glance? Same. Obviously it is not for me. I fear the Valhalla 3 will follow suit and be as visually dull. To me. Oh well. :ksc75smile:

For $149 it’s a fun toy if nothing else. A bathroom system perhaps? DIY Schittr

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #142,485 of 149,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back