Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 6, 2024 at 4:33 PM Post #142,111 of 150,611
Believe me, I've been through all of the "power saving" hoops Windoze throws at you. Whenever I get a computer for anything, desktop, lab 1, lab 2, home, etc., one of the very first things I do is go through every single stinkin' computer setting and disable any power saving "feature". Since this is a company computer, updates are pushed to the box, even though it goes out on its own to find them. The setup literally gathers dust, so I'm not changing things. It's run fine for a couple years before this hiccup. Now that I'm onto it, I can fix it quick...until Mr. Bill changes his game plan, or I'm forced to go to Win11.
Or you can just buy a Mac...... Just saying

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #142,112 of 150,611
I don’t know if I need a Vali 3. My Vali 2++ is insanely good with the RCA Command 5670 tube. It’s also stellar with the GE 5-star Red 5670.
My Vali 2+ and my Vali 2++ and my Valhalla 2 sound great with....yeah, that's the ticket...and there's this schiit and there's that schiit and more schiit to think about.

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #142,113 of 150,611
My better half got to go to Dublin for spring break for some reason...

Now I find there's an Irish Whiskey (whisky?) museum there... :cry:

IMG_8030-preview.JPG

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #142,114 of 150,611
Swapped MJ3 in today..

...to replace the OG Jotunheim in the office system as preamp / HP amp. A buddy needs to borrow Jotti for a few weeks, and I've been listening to MJ3 downstairs as a HP amp only, via MiB, for the last few months. I figured that this was a great opportunity to re-hear the MJ3 with the Analog Devices-based Yggdrasil.

Chain is now PC -> USB to -> OG Yggy A2 -> balanced to -> MJ3 -> SE to -> stereo OG Aegir -> Dali Oberon On-walls.

Jotunheim is really good driving Aegir, but swapping in MJ3 removed a veil that I didn't know existed with the previous config. This is crazy schiit.

Will try the HD820s next; more to come.

p.s. - OG Yggy is... different than MiB. But wow, it's soooo good. Still can't decide which one I'd give up if I had to... well, not true bc I could give up MiB and then just go buy another one. :relaxed:

p.p.s. - that's the plan, and I'm sticking with it... OK, back to work!

IMG_1410.jpeg

Mar 6, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #142,115 of 150,611
My Vali 2+ and my Vali 2++ and my Valhalla 2 sound great with....yeah, that's the ticket...and there's this schiit and there's that schiit and more schiit to think about.
Don't "they" say there's always more Schiit out there than a reasonable person can deal with?

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #142,117 of 150,611
Thanks all,

It seems that Fulla 2 also does UAC1, and I have one of those collecting dust, so that will help. Fulla 2 is better then the headphone output from my computer monitor, and Fulla plays well with my Focals.

Now, the Fulla 2 doesn't help me incorporate PS5 output into the Schiit stack that I have at my desk. Its another single use item taking up space, and I won't be able to hide it, because the Fulla is my volume control.

I still think a Schiit DDC of a some kind would do well.

I remember Jason saying how minimalist he was....so it makes sense he has a tough time seeing the benefit of a device, he likely doesnt need it.

For those of us who hold on to the various electronics that we have collected over the years, a DDC could be quite useful.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #142,120 of 150,611
Swapped MJ3 in today..

...to replace the OG Jotunheim in the office system as preamp / HP amp. A buddy needs to borrow Jotti for a few weeks, and I've been listening to MJ3 downstairs as a HP amp only, via MiB, for the last few months. I figured that this was a great opportunity to re-hear the MJ3 with the Analog Devices-based Yggdrasil.

Chain is now PC -> USB to -> OG Yggy A2 -> balanced to -> MJ3 -> SE to -> stereo OG Aegir -> Dali Oberon On-walls.

Jotunheim is really good driving Aegir, but swapping in MJ3 removed a veil that I didn't know existed with the previous config. This is crazy schiit.

Will try the HD820s next; more to come.

p.s. - OG Yggy is... different than MiB. But wow, it's soooo good. Still can't decide which one I'd give up if I had to... well, not true bc I could give up MiB and then just go buy another one. :relaxed:

p.p.s. - that's the plan, and I'm sticking with it... OK, back to work!

IMG_1410.jpeg
IMG_5353.png

No arguments from me…

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #142,121 of 150,611
My better half got to go to Dublin for spring break for some reason...

Now I find there's an Irish Whiskey (whisky?) museum there... :cry:

IMG_8030-preview.JPG
I like Writer's Tears. Good dram.

And yep, it's Irish whiskey with an e.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #142,123 of 150,611
I still think a Schiit DDC of a some kind would do well.

I remember Jason saying how minimalist he was....so it makes sense he has a tough time seeing the benefit of a device, he likely doesnt need it.

For those of us who hold on to the various electronics that we have collected over the years, a DDC could be quite useful.
They did sell a UAC1 DDC at one time, but it was limited in function. Schiit Eitr. I still use one nearly every day, and it sounds great. However, they're not easy to find on the used market and you could probably get better bang for your buck.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #142,124 of 150,611
They did sell a UAC1 DDC at one time, but it was limited in function. Schiit Eitr. I still use one nearly every day, and it sounds great. However, they're not easy to find on the used market and you could probably get better bang for your buck.
is it even better than Unison though? I think that's their solution.

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #142,125 of 150,611
is it even better than Unison though? I think that's their solution

Eitr was Gen 5. Input is Gen 5 USB, output is coax S/PDIF. It was basically sold as a way to add "USB, Solved: Gen 5 Technology" to any S/PDIF coax-compatible DAC. The Unison input vs Eitr coax input to my Gumby A2 is not a very noticeable difference to my ear. It beats the pants off a Fulla DAC, and is UAC1 compatible, unlike Unison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back