Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 29, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #141,556 of 149,703
For the most part makes a LOT of sense. But, it fails the “durability test”. What happens to the user of the gear 25 years from now, when it’s not possible TO “look it up” anymore (in many cases), or extremely obtuse and requiring understanding of context and nomenclature that may well be generationally “expired”.
I have lots of 25 year old gear that I can obtain manuals for online; even service manuals. None of them have obtuse or generationally "expired" context. If the internet is gone by that time, that user likely has a lot bigger issues than figuring out how to operate a piece of Schiit.

Honestly, I haven't bought any Schiit that wasn't simple enough to operate without a manual. I suppose the only thing that might stump someone is tube compatibility, but I'm not sure how big of a thing that will even be in 25 years.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #141,557 of 149,703
You could save a lot of time and effort by just dumping them into one container.
Now there’s a bad idea!🤪 I do have a crystal decanter on the way to pour Blanton’s into, I need to work with the horse stopper and I do not let bourbon stand opened once the seal has been broken, even for short lengths of time.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #141,559 of 149,703
Now there’s a bad idea!🤪 I do have a crystal decanter on the way to pour Blanton’s into, I need to work with the horse stopper and I do not let bourbon stand opened once the seal has been broken, even for short lengths of time.
Or, you could do like me and just screw the cap back on the plastic liner in the box. 🤣

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #141,560 of 149,703
Unlikely to fail. It's a well supported charity.

A well-supported charity in the crosshairs of rapacious media giants... 😕😕

I am saddened that this hobby we love in the service of music is dependent on the output of a certifiably evil industry. I was curious about making a little mixtape and went looking for very old music (think early 78s of which I have about 50) that had lapsed into the public domain so I could use it without worrying about paying royalties. There is none. At least not in the USA. The music industry that holds ownership of our beloved tunes has somehow managed to gain control of all music ever recorded, and going forward no music will ever again pass into the public domain. There will not be a "public commons," at least not of music. 😣😣

There was a big fuss last year about "Steamboat Willy," the original version of Mickey Mouse, finally passing into the public domain, and Disney losing mastery over Willie's image. (Predictably there was immediately a slasher flick released.) The music industry just sat back and laughed at the incompetence of the film industry lawyers.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #141,561 of 149,703
In the FWIW category my new car came with electronic owners manual only. And guess what it’s fine.
When I was contemplating buying a Tesla I printed out the entire manual and had it spiral bound. It is an excellent example of a full owner's manual.

The e-manual or whatever Volvo calls it is a pos. Here, see for yourself. https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/support/car/s60-recharge-plug-in-hybrid/23w17

The same manual is available on the infotainment screen in the car and is equally useless.

Sorry about the gripe. Its otherwise an excellent car.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #141,562 of 149,703
In the FWIW category my new car came with electronic owners manual only. And guess what it’s fine.

Agreed. If done well.

Bonus that it saves glovebox space not having the ever increasing size manual.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:53 PM Post #141,564 of 149,703
When I was contemplating buying a Tesla I printed out the entire manual and had it spiral bound. It is an excellent example of a full owner's manual.

The e-manual or whatever Volvo calls it is a pos. Here, see for yourself. https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/support/car/s60-recharge-plug-in-hybrid/23w17

The same manual is available on the infotainment screen in the car and is equally useless.

Sorry about the gripe. Its otherwise an excellent car.

That's pretty similar to the Jaguar Online handbook. My I Pace came with a nice, hefty manual. To be fair, the online version makes some sense. You can click on a link to take you to another related part of the manual. It's easier to navigate the different sub sections.

But I grew up in the book index era. Going to the last pages of the manual to look up the topic and when I didn't find it, look at what else it could fall under. It's a learned habit but not necessarily an efficient one.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #141,565 of 149,703
Feb 29, 2024 at 7:59 PM Post #141,566 of 149,703
I would be happy to assist you in this endeavor.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #141,567 of 149,703
Go and buy this, print/build it, stick a raspberry pi in it, be happy.

large_display_IMG_3255.jpg

this is ****ing sick

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #141,568 of 149,703
I have backup EH Taylor as well but the bottles are tall and skinny so I only wanted to use one.😁 Finnegan was probably helping himself to the BT.IMG_7420.jpeg
I'd help m'self to summa that Baker's 7. I like that pour quite a bit.

Feb 29, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #141,570 of 149,703
I'd help m'self to summa that Baker's 7. I like that pour quite a bit.
That was a gift from @sam6550a after I sent him a flight board. Sam is a man of great style and grace, unlike he who shall remain nameless.(@bcowen).🤪🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back