Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #141,166 of 150,605
How do you use a QR code? Seriously! ( Did I mention I'm 74 years old, retired, and don't own a cell phone. )
1. Open your smartphone's camera app
2. Center the QR code in the frame
3. Move the phone closer to and then away from the QR code
4. Tap on the screen to command the camera app to focus the QR code
5. Return to step 4 five or six times
6. Close the camera app and use the keyboard to type the URL into a browser by hand

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #141,167 of 150,605
1. Open your smartphone's camera app
2. Center the QR code in the frame
3. Move the phone closer to and then away from the QR code
4. Tap on the screen to command the camera app to focus the QR code
5. Return to step 4 five or six times
6. Close the camera app and use the keyboard to type the URL into a browser by hand
--or --

7. Get a better phone and cut down on the coffee. :wink:

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #141,168 of 150,605
I'm hoping that the pace of this thread will slow down once we hit 10,000 pages.

My wife says that I need to live in the present, instead of being stuck nine pages in the past...
OK. She's won me over...

I really like NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts. Discovered a few outstanding but unknown (to me) artists.

And another...

** Thanks to whoever got the discussion st

I have a QUAD 405, a Dynaco Stereo 400, and an Adcom 400 all needing servicing and no electronic repair skills. Finding an affordable service tech here in Calgary seems impossible. QUAD is the only one of those companies still in business, so I reached out to them and they referred me to the Canadian distributor who in turn referred me to a tech in Laval. So now if I want factory service I need to pay for shipping and a translator... 😞😞

I think one of the things that really draws me to Tom Waits is his voice. I love eccentric and off beat voices. So when you described Rebekka Bakken’s voice as taking “a little getting used to” I immediately was interested. Listening to her now. Not disappointed.
Swordfishtrombones (there's a 2023 remaster) is my jam. "Shore Leave" is the quintessential Waits song.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #141,169 of 150,605
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.
I'm probably giving away my age, but I like the manuals.
When friends hear the updated system for the first time, I've pulled the manual out of the drawer and handed it to them...
The first page with the "whats in the box" " 1 power cord special super thick edition"
"0 expectation the cord changes the sound" starts visitors off the right way ....

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #141,170 of 150,605
Swordfishtrombones (there's a 2023 remaster) is my jam. "Shore Leave" is the quintessential Waits song.
I haven’t heard any of the recent remasters on CD. I got a vinyl of “Rain Dogs” and was really disappointed with the quality. There is a great deal of surface noise. The album has no business being crammed onto one vinyl disc since it runs nearly an hour.

But I agree with you, Swordfishtrombones is a great album (as is “Rain Dogs”, “Bone Machine” “Mule Variations” etc, etc.)

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #141,172 of 150,605
That's the best argument for a physical manual, Schiit might be gone (or acquired after Jason's demise at age 90) or whatever and then the link won't likely be any good.
One can download, save locally, and even print / re- print an electronic manual. Good luck getting a replacement paper manual from a defunct company if it's lost or damaged. I guess one could go to a manuals website and download and print that old scanned manual, but what's the point of doing that. 😄

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #141,173 of 150,605
I like the paper manuals but for sustainability reasons maybe consider using hemp paper. I also sometimes refer to the online manual, particularly when decyphering Schiitlerglyphics. A library of all previous and current products with associated manuals is long overdue. Speaking of hemp, maybe there’s an alternative packing material for larger products that could be sourced.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #141,174 of 150,605
Wow, that took some catching up. I think having an option where you opt in for the manual for those that want it sounds reasonable. I don't feel I personally need it.

Kind of like the idea of the QR code stamped in the metal as vent holes.... If that would even work.

In other news I did a puzzle that was a giant QR code. Thanks to my brother in law who bought it for us. That took over a week.

Feb 27, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #141,175 of 150,605
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.
A single quick reference card for inputs, outputs, switches, and dials is all that's needed.
Then have a link to a printable manual with all the ever changing details you want.
Make sure that human eyeballs can read it once printed on standard printer paper, and you're good to go.
:beerchug:

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #141,177 of 150,605
The manuals tell you what the buttons are for. Schiit doesn't label the buttons. You need the manuals.

Printing out a manual on to a piece of paper is a lousy way to go. The paper is thin and gets crunched, creased and ugly quickly. I don't want a bunch of loose, crinkled papers laying around my system. I don't have a printer anyway.

I have 8 Schiit items in my system. I can't remember what all the buttons are for, so I use the manuals a lot.

No manuals and no labels on the gear is a terrible approach. My impression of Schiit Audio would take a serious dive if their gear arrived without manuals.

Feb 27, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #141,179 of 150,605
Folks, please be kind . Listening room is starting to come together. Still some cord management to do, hanging stuff on the walls, etc.

Haven't got the tape measure out yet , but the speakers sound pretty darn happy with my "let's try them here " first placement.
Small room, not that I have a lot of choice...:laughing:
Might have room for a DAC and one of the lokis :slight_smile:.

P.S. Should also mention the tape deck needs work and currently has a tape stuck in it.... :unamused:

1.jpg2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back