Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #141,137 of 151,179
I purchased a heat gun to shrink heat shrink tubing on wires. It came with a sticker [amongst others], that proclaimed "Do not use as a hair dryer". We are doomed as a civilization. I welcome all forms of Artificial Intelligence, since it is obvious to me that native intelligence has departed this planet.
The problem is that ‘AI’ will be programmed by the same morons.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #141,138 of 151,179
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.
My manuals all reside on the rack underneath the units. I'm always fiddling around back, and forgetting what's what on the front. I currently have a Ragnarok, Gungnir, Freya S, two Saga S, two Vidars and two Aegirs. Also a Magnius, a Syn, Mani, and additional gear from other manufacturers on the racks. I refer to the manuals whenever I make a change and even then I screw up.

Please keep the manuals for us old folks. I'm 74. 😁

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #141,139 of 151,179
Not a great idea for the manuals. Buyers expect at least a quick start guide than having to download something that they just paid $2K for. How to piss off older customers. Why should I need an internet connection, printer, and effort to use a new piece of electronic gear?

Ok, 3 step quick start "guide" printed on the inside of the box flap. Next to the manual qr code.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #141,140 of 151,179
Twenty bucks says you'll eventually end up in Texas. It's preordained, resistance is futile.
He’s close enough to frisbee an LP into TX, and there ain’t even a barbed wire fence in the way. In this case, close counts…

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #141,141 of 151,179
I haven't even read the manual to my super complicated Arcam AV receiver with Dirac. Paper manual that is.
I have a crazy thought. Maybe make a checkbox on the order page saying you want a manual? Probably a crap idea that makes it more complicated for the 10% that still want them.
Oh...that's good. Even better, charge 25% more for a signed paper manual with personalized snark like:

"Thanks, Bill, for overpaying ordering our not-quite handcrafted purple-sharpie-painted room-temperature-cryogenically mistreated, fully partially unidirectional audiophile-inflated-value schiit fuse roulette. You have a 1 in 50000 chance of inserting it correctly. Do you feel lucky? Well... do ya?"

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #141,142 of 151,179
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:06 PM Post #141,144 of 151,179
Put some snark embedded into the QR code.

Edit: visually, not in the linked content.
How do you use a QR code? Seriously! ( Did I mention I'm 74 years old, retired, and don't own a cell phone. )

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #141,145 of 151,179
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #141,146 of 151,179
Feb 27, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #141,147 of 151,179
How do you use a QR code? Seriously! ( Did I mention I'm 74 years old, retired, and don't own a cell phone. )
I'm almost 73 and all I can say is that 'YES' it is obvious that some of you don't own a 'mobile' phone and are pretty much luddites. Doesn't make you a bad person, just old. Even though I do database work all day, even I really want to be a luddite but haven't quite managed it yet. Maybe when I retire in a year or 10.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #141,148 of 151,179
Yet you ordered something over the interwebs and not from a brick and mortar store. :ksc75smile:

I can envision a QR code for the QR crowd and just a URL for those who don't have smartphones and/or limited cellular internet. Any legally required warnings can be printed on the box since they apply to pretty much every item from Schiit.

The bonus for online manual is ability to be creative and change data real time. Personally I use the online version to zoom in on those little icons. Maybe interactive manuals?

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #141,149 of 151,179
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.
I personally like having both. It was very helpful to have the paper manuals to reference while setting up my headphone stack with three rather complex products- the MJ3, Urd, and GS2. All of which are nowhere near my main computer so I would have had to print paper copies anyway- which would be no where as small and convenient as the ones you provided. It is likewise handy to have electronic ones available for reference. So, both.

Feb 27, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #141,150 of 151,179
Regarding Manuals:

I'm not sure people read them. Reddit is littered with posts easily resolved by the manual or troubleshooting section of the website. I like having the hard copy, and I've read pdf manuals for products I don't even have yet because I hate to see people having issues while I'm scavenging the back corners of the internet for every detail of products that I am interested in.

The trouble is, how many of those simple problems are the manuals solving for people? Would nixing the paper copy significantly increase the load of frivolous emails? I'm not sure it's worth finding out, in reality. How many problems are prevented by someone thumbing through the manual when they open the box? That and adding steps (Scanning QR, downloading, and reading the manual) between the problem someone is having might be significant. Or not. Hard to say.

I will be fine either way, just something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back