Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:40 PM Post #141,091 of 150,790
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.

I download the manual as soon as I buy your products anyway, so I have it long before I receive the shipment and never open the one in the box. I can't really tell you how well that will work for all your customers, of course (refer to #1).

I would think it would be easier to stay up-to-date with downloadable manuals than printed ones...

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #141,092 of 150,790
LOL, of course:

Yeah we'll launch Aegir 2 tomorrow (plenty in stock)...

...but...

...manuals being late may mean a 1-2 day shipping delay.

This is why Tyler keeps telling me to lose the manuals, stick a QR code in there, download the stupid thing yourself.
Not a great idea for the manuals. Buyers expect at least a quick start guide than having to download something that they just paid $2K for. How to piss off older customers. Why should I need an internet connection, printer, and effort to use a new piece of electronic gear?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #141,093 of 150,790
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.
I prefer electronic manuals. Much easier to find if I need to refer to one and I can re-download if I cannot happen to locate the prior file.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #141,094 of 150,790
Let's discuss manuals:

If you get rid of manuals for tube-based products, you may have to build protective cages/enclosures around them to cover yourself for liability. Some idiot somewhere will burn his finger and argue that Schiit didn't tell him not to touch the glowing tubes.

Or just simply put "Do Not Touch Hot Toobz" static-cling stickers on top of those products. Moar plastic :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #141,095 of 150,790
Good bye old friend. We definitely had great times together. Perhaps we meet again one day!!

!
IMG_0425.jpeg

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #141,097 of 150,790
Continue with the printed manuals but add the item's specs to it.

I need the manual for some time after buying a piece of Shiit gear just to keep reminding me what those odd, miniscule symbols mean.

:beerchug:
JC

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #141,098 of 150,790
Let's discuss manuals:

Print a dirty comic in the manual or include a small prose, a poem, something like that from your own pen, people will complain then if manuals are not included with your products.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #141,100 of 150,790
Let's discuss manuals:

Most of the time, I find manuals like you describe in #3 - some info, lotsa barking. I've enjoyed your manuals because you have snark and humor in them. Think you should keep doing them.

A related story --- Being relatively new to tubes, I recently bumped into a RTFM moment --- I had used my 2-channel amplifier to the point where one of the tubes went bad. Amp has a bad tube indicator so I thought easy peasy - get new tube and continue on. Nope. Did replacement and got silence - but the bti light was off, so that was good. Had to find the manual and buried in there was a sentence about a possible fuse replacment if the bad tube did any blow back to the protection circuit and fuse. Repaced that and was good to go. If I didn't have the manual (and read it) I could have spent a lot shipping the amp back for service. So yeah, please, keep doing your manuals - for comedic value and actual assistance.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #141,101 of 150,790
Let's discuss manuals:

Having provided product support for electronic store customers.. I firmly believe in RTFM.

Also I really enjoy reading your Schiit manuals... guaranteed someone will miss them (I would).

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:58 PM Post #141,102 of 150,790
Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #141,103 of 150,790
Never been much of a headphone listener but my original Joseph Grado HP1000 (HP2) sounds stunning on this stack. Listening to BBC Sounds - spacious, luscious, detailed. I may start listening to this system more often. :)
My desktop stack is Modi 3E>Hagerman Baritone >Magni+>Senn, Focal, DCA, Grado. Headphone(s)have always been +1 for me since I was 2 feet tall growing up in an amplitude modulated radio station.

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #141,104 of 150,790
I feel like there's a hint hidden in there somewhere, but maybe it's just me. 🤣
Hints do not work with you, I would have to drive to your tent village and drop a concrete block on your foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back