Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #141,076 of 151,666
Let's discuss manuals:
The manual in the box stays in the box. A pdf of the manual is downloaded to my phone. If I ever sell it (quelle horreur!), then the buyer has a manual even if the component has been discontinued.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #141,077 of 151,666
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).
4. Manuals are almost always somewhat wrong.

So: manuals? Pro? Con? Indifferent?

Edit: I linked Tyler to this, so he'll definitely read your opinions.

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.

If the manual is available online, I'd prefer to view it there. But, I would like to be able to find and reference the manuals for discontinued products, should the need arise. Actually, I reference the Specs page for products more than the manual.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #141,078 of 151,666
Let's discuss manuals:

1. I know if we get rid of them, someone's gonna complain about us being cheap/assholes/etc. Understood.
2. However, if we get rid of them, we're right there with $3500 products (Cintiq) with no manuals and with massively complex apps and other stupid stuff with no manuals.
3. Most manuals are about 10% useful information and 90% scolding (looking at tools especially).

Edit2: also, for the high school debate team champions, don't try to shift this to plastic bags and other crap in the box. We get it. We've been trying to eliminate plastic bags. Nothing is good enough so far. You get to choose between weirdo semi-plastic molded stuff to hold the non-bagged product in place, and bags. Some things (Tyrs) require foam, period. Magnis and Midgards and stuff like that have been moved to, or are being moved to, all-recycled cardboard. We beat FedEx to this, FWIW.
For me, manuals get a quick read and then go back in the shipping box so they're there if I ever decide to sell the component. I'm fine with no printed manual. My iPhone didn't come with a manual, and I can still call people. :smile:

*But*

If switching to online manuals only, they need to be easily available. On Schiit's site. In perpetuity. I know that requires time and resources, but probably less of both than doing printed manuals. I also see a lot of value in being able to easily make revisions or add additional information if needed or desired.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #141,079 of 151,666
Online manuals are good. While I have looked through the printed manuals a few times when first getting used to a product, I end up with a stack of them squirreled away behind my TV. I’d say ditch the printed ones, but keep something online. In the end, I probably end up looking up the online manual more often than digging out the printed one.

And when I read the manual, half the time it is for the entertainment of the occasional snarky comment in them. So I guess my conclusion is Snarky comments = good, paper with words on it = not necessary.
it’s easier to have a slip paper with instructions on how to access the online Manual on Schiits website or a QR code. Make the paper all glittery and trimmed in gold. Now that’s some serious instructions.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #141,080 of 151,666
This is why Tyler keeps telling me to lose the manuals, stick a QR code in there, download the stupid thing yourself.
+1
shutterstock_267944357-1000x575.jpg

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #141,081 of 151,666
And now I love you for more than just great sounding components. :laughing: :laughing:

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #141,082 of 151,666
Twenty whole bucks? Man, I gotta think about that for a bit. I'm on a fixed income now. :smile:

I wonder if DoorDash delivers NC BBQ to Texas?
just squirt some mustard on it

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:30 PM Post #141,083 of 151,666
Let's discuss manuals:

For me, they help on day one, but after, that I end up losing the manuals. I always go on-line to review a manual if something comes up. However, given the longevity of most of your products, please be sure to make all iterations of the manuals available for as long as Schiit exists (a very long time!!).

Leo

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #141,084 of 151,666
Ditch the paper manual but keep the snark. Maybe add a little extra snark to make up for losing the paper manual.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #141,085 of 151,666
Online manuals are good. While I have looked through the printed manuals a few times when first getting used to a product, I end up with a stack of them squirreled away behind my TV. I’d say ditch the printed ones, but keep something online. In the end, I probably end up looking up the online manual more often than digging out the printed one.

And when I read the manual, half the time it is for the entertainment of the occasional snarky comment in them. So I guess my conclusion is Snarky comments = good, paper with words on it = not necessary.
+1

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #141,087 of 151,666
Right, but I'm pretty sure Jason initially said the 28th before he recanted and said would be a week earlier, which he then recanted and said this week and finally tomorrow. This jives with @Ohno Schiitizen's (I believe) comment that Wednesdays are the new Chapter Days. So a New Chapter Announcing Aegir 2 tomorrow (Wed the 28th) seems like the best bet at this point -- barring Jason's Law rearing its ugly head.
I would skip a day due to leap year just to mess with your brain.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #141,088 of 151,666
Let's discuss manuals:

Manuals are great for framing the picture for my “For Sale” ad, and adds credibility. “Oh wow… he has everything, even The Manual.”

You could put a QR code in there like:

“We can’t believe you bought this, but you can read all about it here: (QR Code)”

Then have it link to a page that is not on the regular Schiit site… post at that hidden page the story of the development of that product (like your product announcement messages posted here that actual owners may never read / see). What it does. Why you want it. How it’s different… whatever.

People think some forums like this are the center of the universe. (For some, I think it may actually be. :) ) ;however, there may be some things you’d like to elaborate on for a particular product that A) you don’t want to pay to print, and B) will definitely get lost in 10,000 pages on a site, that you don’t own, on the interwebs…

Do something “different”.

It will be cheaper, add more value, maybe even some useful info, “pride of ownership”, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back