Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #140,671 of 152,734
I knew I was missing something. I've got blue, green and purple.
I've got an orange one but as I've got no other colors to compare it to I've had to always just assume it was the best. :wink:

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #140,672 of 152,734
I surmise that you do not live in a very rural area.
I do not, Research Triangle. But, but both are now quite widespread. I was in Salem, OR last week and surprised to find a quite sophisticated maker space there. And that's a small, state gov town.
Some will collect too. I mentioned Kramden in another post and they'll send a truck for stuff.

Cheers

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #140,673 of 152,734
The design flaw is that it's samsung. They should stick to what they know and it's not refrigerators. My wife had an issue with one that would need to be thawed out monthly. Then looking at how it was designed I vowed to never purchase a Samsung fridge ever again.
yep its surprising how often ice makers fail on the Samsung / lg brand refrigerators - and yet the make perfectly good tv's etc ??

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #140,674 of 152,734
yep its surprising how often ice makers fail on the Samsung / lg brand refrigerators - and yet the make perfectly good tv's etc ??
I do have a Samsung plasma 3D tv that must be 14 years old and never had an issue.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #140,675 of 152,734
Indeed but I never saw anyone in my regio drink his/her espresso without sugar. Ever.
20 years ago I had friends that moved to Firenze to work in a protestant ministry for a year. They found it amusing that the Italians considered their drinking coffee all day and after dinner as slightly sinful, while they themselves considered drinking lots of wine was perfectly fine and normal.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #140,676 of 152,734
Same in Portugal, except for weird people like me. I gave up on the little sugar bags with my many espressos as a teenager and never returned to the habit. Even now when I'm in Lisbon I get an occasional funny look when I drink my espresso at the counter without sugar.
I prefer mine without sugar, but I do sometimes go Cuban style with brown sugar. it's almost like brandy.

Feb 23, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #140,677 of 152,734
MIB reporting for duty:
1708711059626.png

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #140,678 of 152,734
Nice! If not for the imminent Aegir 2, I would have pulled the trigger on MIB.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #140,679 of 152,734
Feb 23, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #140,680 of 152,734
He was a brilliant vocalist IMHO. I have also heard that he was a sound quality fanatic (although not quite at the Donald Fagen / Walter Becker level). :)
Ah he was amazing- a pure natural talent and he got better as he aged.

Shame that his life got more complicated and poor decisions were made as he aged, but none of us are perfect and being in show business must be tough.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #140,681 of 152,734
If any companies ditch their "old" computers, consider persuading them to donate to a local recycling center. I work with one (kramden.org) in Durham, NC that refurbishes and ships computers to kids and families that don't have a computer. There is a great need in rural (and other ) communities.
I work for Hartford Healthcare and we do this with older devices that we replace:

Bill Morin’s vision included providing opportunities to young adults facing economic challenges like those he overcame as a child of Hartford’s housing projects in the 1960s and 1970s.

A field service analyst with the IT Department at Hartford HealthCare, where he started as a cook more than 30 years ago, Morin helped launch Digital DividENDS, a partnership between the system, Our Piece of the Pie, Hartford Youth Service Corps and the city to teach computer skills to young adults. In addition to learning the ins and outs of computers, students work on 150 decommissioned laptops donated by HHC to become certified in PC repair. The laptops they refurbish are donated to those in need, including first-generation college students and the elderly. The youth have opportunities for summer internships at HHC, too. “Programs that take a kid into a different area may open their eyes to new and different things,” says Morin of his hopes to expand participants’ understanding of potential career opportunities.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #140,683 of 152,734
Nice! Costco has them for $30 for 3 x 12 oz packs. It's a pretty good deal for 3 single origin light roast coffee

1708576161088.png
As nice as the beans probably are, running the whole distribution cycle through to a Costco store means they are probably several weeks old, at best, by the time they end up on the shelf. Do they have a "roasted on" or a "best before date"? You should try and find a source where you know the roast date, and try and get it so you can can start using it about a week after roasting,

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #140,684 of 152,734
I was also surprised to find that my Aegir runs substantially cooler than my Vidar. But I was not surprised that it sounds better.

Two things I just can't bring myself to do, listen to bad audio equipment, and drink old, bad coffee. My beans are roasted 2 days before they arrive at the house. I let them sit another 5 days or so then grind precisely 20 grams every time to make 40 grams of espresso at a temp of 94c in about 25 seconds. I mix that with about 5 ounces of steamed milk for a silky smooth and incredibly tasty flat white. I am allowed two of those each morning unless it is the weekend and is raining, then I might be allowed one more. I think my coffee snobbery may be more serious than my audio snobbery. It does however, taste better.

I use one of these.

lelit_mara_x.jpg

I have a local roaster, who used to run a roastery and cafe, but now just roasts and supplies to cafes and peeps like me, He's won some medals, and knows his stuff. I SMS him "Coffee" and a day or a two later he drops it off personally, frequently roasted that morning. About a week later, they are awesome.

Nice Machine!

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #140,685 of 152,734
I've only visited the Aosta valley once, I think, but it definitely is a gem.
Although, to be fair, there's barely a corner of northern Italy that isn't beautiful…

Practicality of living is a real issue, though. People living in South Tyrol often have to travel all the way to Vienna if they need highly specialized medical services. Taxes are high, and bureaucracy tends to be maddeningly slow and convoluted. When I was still a child, corruption within public service agencies wasn't exactly a rarity, but I think they've improved quite a bit on that front.

But other than that, South Tyrol, specifically along the mountain sides along the Adige valley between Merano and Bolzano, is pretty much the only place on the planet outside the USA where I'd actually consider retiring to. Between Merano, Bolzano and Lana, you've got pretty much everything you need for your day-to-day life within short driving distance, the people are fantastic, the overall culture there is nearly perfectly compatible with myself, the area is stunning, the climate is relatively mild, and the local foods never disappoint.

Adige valley and Merano, looking south:
1708706237396.png

Fahlburg castle in Prissiano:
1708706309688.png

Hafling (where the Haflinger horses originate from):
1708706355517.png

The Dolomites:
1708706530115.png

Maaaaan, I miss living in the mountains…
Having no (actual) mountains anywhere is one of the few things I'm not looking forward to in Texas. But something's gotta give, I s'pose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back