Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2024 at 4:48 PM Post #140,686 of 153,991
Hey all - now this will seem like a schiity luxury problem - and it is - still Schiit related - so please help me. I'll head from Europe to US for SXSW conference in Austin - where no doubt I'll have the best BBQ ever (I've been there before before)... but after that I'll head to San Diego for a few days of work. I have ONE single day off - a sunday - when I will drive from San Diego to the Schiitr to pickup that last Yggy OG 230V that just disappeared from the Closeout section... and then head back to Europe...
Questions:
Driving from San Diego on a Sunday to the Schiitr (I have never been driving in the US and never been on the west coast)... What route should I take (both ways)? I would love to see some landmarks on the way and get the most out of it... amd some good food! And get back to San Diego before midnight... Think music and iconic landmarks more than nature :) I guess Sunset Strip might be part of it?

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #140,687 of 153,991
As nice as the beans probably are, running the whole distribution cycle through to a Costco store means they are probably several weeks old, at best, by the time they end up on the shelf. Do they have a "roasted on" or a "best before date"? You should try and find a source where you know the roast date, and try and get it so you can can start using it about a week after roasting,

There's no roast date, just best before date. It's still a commodity single origin beans. Because of that it costs a rather reasonable $10 USD / 340g. Most specialty coffee stores would price them at $20 or more (Sey Coffee for example sells a geisha single origin at $25 on average for 250g bag). I just showed one that sells 100% Kona Coffee from a Hawaiian farm for $50 USD for 225g (5x the price). Speaking of light roast coffee, this costco one is unbeatable in the price/taste ratio, but you do pay for quality roasting through a specialty coffee store against a high volume yield light roast profile.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #140,688 of 153,991
Hey all - now this will seem like a schiity luxury problem - and it is - still Schiit related - so please help me. I'll head from Europe to US for SXSW conference in Austin - where no doubt I'll have the best BBQ ever (I've been there before before)... but after that I'll head to San Diego for a few days of work. I have ONE single day off - a sunday - when I will drive from San Diego to the Schiitr to pickup that last Yggy OG 230V that just disappeared from the Closeout section... and then head back to Europe...
Questions:
Driving from San Diego on a Sunday to the Schiitr (I have never been driving in the US and never been on the west coast)... What route should I take (both ways)? I would love to see some landmarks on the way and get the most out of it... amd some good food! And get back to San Diego before midnight... Think music and iconic landmarks more than nature :) I guess Sunset Strip might be part of it?

I5 North all the way from San Diego. Near Valencia/Santa Clarita exit to Schiitr.

Alternative: on I5 North past San Clemente you may take I405 away from LA downtown via LAX and Santa Monica and eventually to I5 onto Valencia.

Google Maps will guide you.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #140,689 of 153,991
I5 North all the way from San Diego. Near Valencia/Santa Clarita exit to Schiitr.

Alternative: on I5 North past San Clemente you may take I405 away from LA downtown via LAX and Santa Monica and eventually to I5 onto Valencia.

Google Maps will guide you.
Thanks a ton! Any good sights/food along the way you would recommend?

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #140,690 of 153,991
I do have a Samsung plasma 3D tv that must be 14 years old and never had an issue.
Samsung plasma here too, at least 10yrs old and still running strong.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #140,691 of 153,991
Traffic in LA on a Sunday afternoon can be a bit challenging. Generally starting around 3pm there are a lot of people returning to the city from various places and traffic into LA can get heavy. I haven’t driven to or from San Diego in several years, but there are sections through Orange County where there is never ending construction on I-5.

If you have the time to make detours there are a lot of nice places here. If you take the 405 that will add a fair amount of miles to the drive, but it keeps you closer to some nice locations such as UCLA and the Getty Center. I prefer downtown (I lived there for years) and other parts on the east side but there isn’t a lot of exciting scenery in this area (Unless you’d care to visit Walt Disney’s tomb - not sure that’s as exciting as it sounds.)

Getting to the Sunset Strip could take a bit of time, but I guess if you head up the 5 to the 101 that’ll take you into east Hollywood. If you get off at Sunset and head west, you’ll see some of the seediest parts of Hollywood but eventually once you hit La Brea, you’ll get to the strip. You won’t find parking for less than what you’d pay for the Yiggy. There is a lot of good Mexican food in LA. I like the food trucks but that‘s a specific kind of thing. If you are looking for good, sit down restaurants, you’ll have to ask someone else.

If you are inclined to avoid Hollywood and just go up the 5, I’d recommend getting onto the 2 freeway and head north to get to the 210 north. (The 2 and 210 are not as heavily used as the 5) That will eventually dump you out back on the 5, but then you’ll immediately get onto the 14 and I think Newhall Blvd is the first exit after that. Take that north and keep to the left RIGHT until it curves off to become Railroad Ave. The Schiittr is just a few blocks from there.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #140,692 of 153,991
Questions:
I5 is it, all the way! If traffic is good, it will be a 3 hour drive each way. If not, well lets say I've spent many hours between Newhall and San Diego..... Highly recommend an early morning start - Sunday am is best for traffic.

As for sightseeing, I would recommend searching on some keywords. Downtown LA is "interesting" and the new Lucas Museum, whilst not open yet, is worth a drive by for the architecture. LAX, Getty Museum (both via 405), some of the coast towns in Orange county (slow going tho...). San Diego has some fun sights too.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #140,693 of 153,991
Traffic in LA on a Sunday afternoon can be a bit challenging. Generally starting around 3pm there are a lot of people returning to the city from various places and traffic into LA can get heavy. I haven’t driven to or from San Diego in several years, but there are sections through Orange County where there is never ending construction on I-5.

If you have the time to make detours there are a lot of nice places here. If you take the 405 that will add a fair amount of miles to the drive, but it keeps you closer to some nice locations such as UCLA and the Getty Center. I prefer downtown (I lived there for years) and other parts on the east side but there isn’t a lot of exciting scenery in this area (Unless you’d care to visit Walt Disney’s tomb - not sure that’s as exciting as it sounds.)

Getting to the Sunset Strip could take a bit of time, but I guess if you head up the 5 to the 101 that’ll take you into east Hollywood. If you get off at Sunset and head west, you’ll see some of the seediest parts of Hollywood but eventually once you hit La Brea, you’ll get to the strip. You won’t find parking for less than what you’d pay for the Yiggy. There is a lot of good Mexican food in LA. I like the food trucks but that‘s a specific kind of thing. If you are looking for good, sit down restaurants, you’ll have to ask someone else.

If you are inclined to avoid Hollywood and just go up the 5, I’d recommend getting onto the 2 freeway and head north to get to the 210 north. (The 2 and 210 are not as heavily used as the 5) That will eventually dump you out back on the 5, but then you’ll immediately get onto the 14 and I think Newhall Blvd is the first exit after that. Take that north and keep to the left until it curves off to become Railroad Ave. The Schiittr is just a few blocks from there.
Excellent suggestions.

@Joppmann :
I would drive from SD direct to be there when Schiitr opens. Later on traffic could be an issue.

If you plan to stop when returning… make sure you watch the parked car constantly… or you may not find your Yggy when you return.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #140,694 of 153,991

If you are inclined to avoid Hollywood and just go up the 5, I’d recommend getting onto the 2 freeway and head north to get to the 210 north. (The 2 and 210 are not as heavily used as the 5) That will eventually dump you out back on the 5, but then you’ll immediately get onto the 14 and I think Newhall Blvd is the first exit after that. Take that north and keep to the left until it curves off to become Railroad Ave. The Schiittr is just a few blocks from there.
Just perfect thx! I prefer the foodtrucks over the sit downs :)

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #140,695 of 153,991
Oh man, you are in for a treat... I promise. Last night, I listened to Depeche Mode's Violator on CD, via Urd -> usb -> Yggy+ MiB -> balanced out to -> Loki Max (bypassed) -> SE out to -> MJ3 -> balanced out to my -> HD820s.

MJ3 had all 5 switches down.

I got goosebumps multiple times. That chugging bassline in the last song - Clean - is just stunning. In interviews Mike talks a lot about how other DACs are optimized for frequency domain performance, and how he optimized Yggy for both the time- and frequency domains. It shows, my goodness, it shows - esp. with a Unison source.

Yggy is the most vinyl-like digital source I've ever heard... well, the only DAC that I've heard (in my system) that might best Yggy is the Weiss DAC502, but that would have cost me over $12K delivered. Nah, no reason for that, at all. I'd rather upgrade my speakers. :innocent: Thank you Schiit Audio, again!

p.s. - I want to recommend to the guys at Stereophile (who gave OG Yggy a Class A recommendation) to listen to and review the Yggy / Urd combo. I think that the price / performance ratio would blow them away.
Yes, it WAS a treat. Got everything wired up finally, and compared the same track via Amazon (exclusive mode) and the Urd. The output from the CD was significantly better. Now, this may mostly be an indictment of Amazon's streaming services, but as good at that sounds through the GS2 and MJ3 the physical CDs played by the Urd sound GREAT.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #140,696 of 153,991
Thanks a ton! Any good sights/food along the way you would recommend?
If you take 405, I suggest Tito's Taco's. Look them up. Right off the freeway.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #140,697 of 153,991

Don't know if it's still there but I used to meet up with my old drummer at The Talpa on Bundy. Some of thee best Mexican I've ever had.

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #140,698 of 153,991
I've only visited the Aosta valley once, I think, but it definitely is a gem.
Although, to be fair, there's barely a corner of northern Italy that isn't beautiful…

Practicality of living is a real issue, though. People living in South Tyrol often have to travel all the way to Vienna if they need highly specialized medical services. Taxes are high, and bureaucracy tends to be maddeningly slow and convoluted. When I was still a child, corruption within public service agencies wasn't exactly a rarity, but I think they've improved quite a bit on that front.

But other than that, South Tyrol, specifically along the mountain sides along the Adige valley between Merano and Bolzano, is pretty much the only place on the planet outside the USA where I'd actually consider retiring to. Between Merano, Bolzano and Lana, you've got pretty much everything you need for your day-to-day life within short driving distance, the people are fantastic, the overall culture there is nearly perfectly compatible with myself, the area is stunning, the climate is relatively mild, and the local foods never disappoint.

Adige valley and Merano, looking south:
1708706237396.png

Fahlburg castle in Prissiano:
1708706309688.png

Hafling (where the Haflinger horses originate from):
1708706355517.png

The Dolomites:
1708706530115.png

Maaaaan, I miss living in the mountains…
Having no (actual) mountains anywhere is one of the few things I'm not looking forward to in Texas. But something's gotta give, I s'pose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gotta come up the Hill to Fayetteville Arkansas some times and get some Ozarks in ya life.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #140,699 of 153,991
... Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time and know the right people. ...
Having a head for business, as you clearly do, and I definitely don't, also helps :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #140,700 of 153,991
Nice! I’ll have a very nice tasting experiment to truly see whether I can even detect a difference in taste between coffee in the original bag against the vacuum canister. ... So I’ll probably tell you guys back after a month or so to see whether this thing truly makes a difference or not
Please do! Our coffee sits in the canister for weeks at a time as we're not always at that location.

Your canisters looks similar to mine except mine is a nice Hawaiian blue and came with a scoop :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back