Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 16, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #139,756 of 152,727
I do not usually post long narratives but today it is about to snow and my shop is cold so I will tell a story about a gentleman from Texas who drank Lone Star beer.:beerchug: Texas has a large population of German descents in some parts of the state so there is little doubt in my mind that the area could produce beer. My friend was one of that group and grew up speaking both German and English.

This is a true story that I either witnessed or had relayed to me by enough good friends so I believe all of it is true. After college my dream job would have been with NASA but the space program was starting to wind down some after the moon landing so I took an offer from RCA. This was a a time when they were still producing hybrid televisions and massive amounts of people were hired to work with solid state. Some of the older people there had started in radio, then tube television, and lacked some of the background to easily move into solid state. There were around 7,000 employees, 80% women (an enticement for a single male), maybe 200 technicians and 50 or so engineers. Lots of line workers, parts handlers, warehouse people, etc. There was a union in place for those who did a lot of that work then of course management, supervision and group leaders. My friend's name is Tony and one of two people I have met in my life whom I consider a genius, the other built a robotic arm at a very early age and made several magazine stories. Tony was a technician and an amazing one. He would tend to play cards much of the day in one of the lounges and while there people would come and ask him how to fix their car, or a tractor, or whatever. He did not read fiction but could talk bullet velocities, calculus, geometry, physics, metallurgy etc. with a keen understanding. The televisions that needed to be repaired were still in chassis form as they went in a long oval in front of technicians and parts changers. People pulled the chassis towards themselves on small dollys and then technicians would hook the chassis to a CRT and other overhead cables to see what the issue was. Generally there were eight or so technicians per line. Troubleshooting a television that was out in the field meant it must have worked at one time, then developed a problem. In this case those who fed parts into the circuit boards might swap two resistors, or forget to install a diode, or leave a solder glob underneath a frame that housed a module or even install a part that was off value from the manufacturer. Tony would tend to come back to the repair line when supervisors came looking for him, diagnose everything on the line at an alarming rate (the chassis were then sent to parts changers who replaced tuners etc), and leave again. People from other lines would seek him out to help with problems they could not diagnose. That was a normal day for him but once he walked by two engineers who had a prototype for a new TV, and it obviously had color issues. He asked if he could fix it for them and they just laughed at him. They left for some reason and Tony went to test maintenance, got a hack saw, came back and sawed the metal chassis in half. The engineers were furious when they found it and wanted the person responsible fired on the spot! To their amazement though, he had fixed the problem, the continuous metal around the picture tube was acting as a degaussing coil and distorting the color. From that day forth the chassis was split and two non- conductive wafers were in place stopping that loop. Tony grew up in Texas on a farm, and learned to do things for himself. He eventually purchased a farm because of work he did outside of RCA. Asking $25 per, he would repair tv's for a large hotel chain and made $4,000 a week, (1973 dollars) while he still worked for RCA. On his farm he built his own saw mill, did electronics work, repaired cars, tractors, etc. I would trade labor for custom made parts for my target bows, or need repair on an antique pistol, or need repair on my car which he handled. He left RCA when they would not allow him time off to harvest one of his crops. He then would repair HVAC units for large factories and eventually figured out how to repair certain large electrical parts for Westinghouse at $80,000 each. As he got older his doctor told him he needed to get more exercise so he built an 18 hole golf course on his property. The last time I ran into him, RCA was selling off a lot of their equipment and he and I were buying specific pieces and he was still as sharp as ever. He had explained how he found an old hydraulic lift in a dumpster, repaired it, and it was key to some of the work he did for Westinghouse. They eventually shut down in our area as well but he had amassed enough money to spend a month in the Caribbean each year where he could finally take some time and rest.:) In a way I followed in his footsteps and did not mind getting my hands dirty. I would work 8-10 hour days in technical management and still make time to go to pawn shops and repair electronics, cameras, watches etc. for which I was often paid with gold rings, Rolex watches, and even gem stones. I learned the joy of making using my own hands to build amplifiers, or do woodworking etc. I can barely think of Lone Star beer without thinking of some of those days and a guy from Texas who exemplified such a fine work ethic. He instilled in me a belief that if you take time to help others, life can be very fulfilling. Again I apologize for the long post.
You have "earned" any length post you want.
Enjoyable read.

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #139,757 of 152,727
Don't knock Lone Star if you haven't tried it - quite decent if not tasty. Especially when served ice cold in a frosty mug. Comes close to Pabst, which is saying a lot. As I recall, however, LS has some trouble competing with the Great Northern beers: Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz ...
Which are all (not certain about Stroh’s) now owned by Pabst…

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #139,758 of 152,727
You have "earned" any length post you want.
Enjoyable read.
You are very kind and I do not recall ever building anything for you, I should remedy that one day.😀

Feb 16, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #139,759 of 152,727
A little bit of heaven, 94.7. 😉
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but 94.7 in SoCal in the 70s and 80s meant the mighty MET, KMET. That was radio.
KMET-Bumper-Sticker-118.jpg

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #139,762 of 152,727
What’s the advantage of Total Wine? There are a couple in Denver area but I haven’t been to one.
They have a great selection, and periodic buy one get one for five cents sales. Bev Mo is generally a bit smaller.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #139,763 of 152,727
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but 94.7 in SoCal in the 70s and 80s meant the mighty MET, KMET. That was radio.
KMET-Bumper-Sticker-118.jpg
Yep. Dr. Demento on Sunday night! Good times.

Leo

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #139,764 of 152,727
I was wondering about that....gravity. That's why I thought the turntable wasn't "real". I've seen the turntables with the arm hanging down, and that I could wrap my head around.
Actually, the entirely vertical tonearm seems much more neutral and workable than one on a cant. If it is a linear tonearm then there is never any gravity putting pressure on the needle.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:49 PM Post #139,765 of 152,727
I haven’t been there for a while but in the 80’s Tecate was the beer I saw most and definitely tasted better than LS.
Wow, LS must be really bad because I won't even drink Tecate if it is all that is available, I am dying of thirst, and it is ice cold.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #139,767 of 152,727
I think, sometimes, we forget how much a damn miracle it is that we’ve been able to take the available technology of the day to produce a compelling facsimile of people playing live music in our homes.
I heard/read somewhere a while (long while) ago that vinyl is the only source which is a transducer. With that in mind, theoretically, all one needs is perfect amplification to the electrical-acoustic converter (i.e. headphone or speaker).

All other sources (radio, CD, streamer) the need is for all kinds of electrical manipulation before the signal gets to the electrical-acoustic converter.

Not a vinyl aficionado but that always makes me :thinking: .

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #139,768 of 152,727
LPs/Vinyl need electrical manipulation for playback in the form of an RIAA curve compensation to offset the equalization applied when mastering for vinyl.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #139,769 of 152,727
Don't knock Lone Star if you haven't tried it - quite decent if not tasty. Especially when served ice cold in a frosty mug. Comes close to Pabst, which is saying a lot. As I recall, however, LS has some trouble competing with the Great Northern beers: Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Schlitz ...
Is Stroh's even a thing anymore?

BTW, maybe y'all can help me recollect if something is true? I remember a Stroh's TV ad with the Foreign Legion in the desert. They start hallucinating (miraging?) having some Stroh's and passing the can around.

The dumkopf private at the tail end of the "sipping line" takes the last swig and throws the can into the desert. The CO yells at him for giving away their position and orders him to retrieve the can. (Remember, it's a mirage can!).

Anyone else remember this? Is it my old peyote habit rearing up again?

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:23 PM Post #139,770 of 152,727
I heard/read somewhere a while (long while) ago that vinyl is the only source which is a transducer. With that in mind, theoretically, all one needs is perfect amplification to the electrical-acoustic converter (i.e. headphone or speaker).

All other sources (radio, CD, streamer) the need is for all kinds of electrical manipulation before the signal gets to the electrical-acoustic converter.

Not a vinyl aficionado but that always makes me :thinking: .
When the stars align, vinyl can be magic.

Of course, you can’t really depend on those stars…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back