Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 7, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #138,872 of 150,602
Hey all,

Just a brief moment to note the passing of the Yggdrasil OG. It has gone into the ether, after one of the longest DAC runs in history.

If you missed it, and still want one, I suspect a couple will end up on B-Stock. If you want something with the same D/A converters, the Yggdrasil GS2 will continue to be available until we are out of Analog 1 boards. I won't estimate a time for that; see Jason's Law.

Beyond that, Yggdrasil LIM and MIB live on!

All the best,
Jason
Thanks for the update Jason.

I am very glad I bought my original Yggy, several years ago.

It went through several upgrades:
USB Gen 5 input board
A2 output boards
Unison USB input boards

I won’t be parting with this classic DAC.

Thanks to Mike for introducing a superb Multi Bit DAC to an unsuspecting world!

It was, and still is, brilliant.:relaxed:

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #138,873 of 150,602
Hey all,

Just a brief moment to note the passing of the Yggdrasil OG. It has gone into the ether, after one of the longest DAC runs in history.

If you missed it, and still want one, I suspect a couple will end up on B-Stock. If you want something with the same D/A converters, the Yggdrasil GS2 will continue to be available until we are out of Analog 1 boards. I won't estimate a time for that; see Jason's Law.

Beyond that, Yggdrasil LIM and MIB live on!

All the best,
Jason
May its memory be a blessing. RIP

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #138,875 of 150,602
I need some advice on selling some excess equipment I've accumulated.

In all the years I've been in this hobby I've never sold anything, I just gave unwanted items away, and stuff I liked died a natural death or went on the shelf as Designated for Assignment.

That shelf is starting to heave a bit now, so it's time for a cull.

First, where is the best place to sell, in your experience? Are eBay or Amazon viable options?

How do you price it, assuming near NIB condition?

What precautions do you take when selling it?

How do you receive payment?

Is selling CONUS only a good strategy?

Most of the stuff I have will be three digit priced, so it won't be the end of the world if a deal goes south.
As @AstronomerXI noted, US Audio Mart is a good place to start. Free, and gets a good bit of traffic. I've bought and sold several times through them with good experiences. Audiogon used to be a great place, but their fees kept climbing and I don't know what kind of traffic they get now. Haven't visited in quite a while. Worth a look, perhaps. There's always the classifieds here at Head-Fi depending on what you're selling. It's also free. Ebay will get you the biggest audience, but they have the highest fees and also the biggest audience of scammers. Ebay is also now sending the IRS your sales revenue information so that income taxes can be collected if you sell in excess of $20k. Probably not an issue for most of us, but the IRS is also considering changing that threshold to $5k for 2024 (this directly from Ebay's FAQ page), so just an FYI. Ebay does have both buyer and seller protections in place, so it may be worth the price of their fees if having that is important. I've never sold anything through Amazon so can't comment on that.

The price to charge is hard to answer. Depends on what it is, how popular it is, how old it is, etc etc. Some things can get you 85 - 90% of the original selling price, and some things you may have to price at 50% to get it to sell. Best thing to do is scout the sites for comparable pieces and see what they're being listed for.

I always use PayPal for these transactions. Just what I do, not saying it's the best or only way. PayPal has protection mechanisms in place that can help you from getting burned, although even with that there are no absolute guarantees. My only advice here is that if anything during the process with a potential buyer causes a red flag to pop up, listen to your instincts and walk away. There will always be another buyer. Ship only to the registered address they have with PayPal (or whoever you use for payment) -- never ship to a different address ("I want to send it to my buddy's house so my wife doesn't see it" kind of crap). Major red flag.

Shipping only CONUS is your call. Much easier with fewer chances of problems and/or having to deal with customs/fees/duties, but you'll limit your audience a bit too.

Lastly, make sure the item is well packaged for shipping and be sure to insure it with a delivery signature required. Even if it's only an item you're selling for $100, spend the extra few dollars to be sure you have a good paper trail.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #138,876 of 150,602
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #138,877 of 150,602
Some old folks can still hear. Speaking for a friend, of course. :smile:

Did you see the comment posted at the end of the article? I couldn't help but crack up. The LP versus CD war of the worlds exists even at AARP. 🤣
I resemble that remark! I hereby assess a penalty of 4 Fotons.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #138,878 of 150,602
I resemble that remark! I hereby assess a penalty of 4 Fotons.
Well, OK. I was going to send you this NOS matched quad of GE 6550A's, but I totally get that you'd rather have the Fotons. 🤣

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #138,880 of 150,602
Ebay is also now sending the IRS your sales revenue information so that income taxes can be collected if you sell in excess of $20k. Probably not an issue for most of us, but the IRS is also considering changing that threshold to $5k for 2024 (this directly from Ebay's FAQ page), so just an FYI. Ebay does have both buyer and seller protections in place, so it may be worth the price of their fees if having that is important. I've never sold anything through Amazon so can't comment on that.
I just got a 1099-K form from eBay for 2023, and it's less than $2000. I guess it's still $600 limit like it was it 2022.

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #138,882 of 150,602
The Sundara's are very good. They're my favorite just after my RS2x's. Just bought my seventh piece of Schiit gear. An Asgard 3 that was B stock just sitting there looking for a new home. My hope is that it drives my Grado's with a bit more authority than my Magni 3+ does. If not, then oh well I still have a new toy to play with.
Asgard 3 is my favourite amp to use with RS2x

Feb 7, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #138,883 of 150,602
My Asgard 3 has shipped. Ninety minutes after I ordered it. Well done, Schiit!
Expect a busy and enjoyable weekend.

Feb 7, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #138,885 of 150,602
As @AstronomerXI noted, US Audio Mart is a good place to start. Free, and gets a good bit of traffic. I've bought and sold several times through them with good experiences. Audiogon used to be a great place, but their fees kept climbing and I don't know what kind of traffic they get now. Haven't visited in quite a while. Worth a look, perhaps. There's always the classifieds here at Head-Fi depending on what you're selling. It's also free. Ebay will get you the biggest audience, but they have the highest fees and also the biggest audience of scammers. Ebay is also now sending the IRS your sales revenue information so that income taxes can be collected if you sell in excess of $20k. Probably not an issue for most of us, but the IRS is also considering changing that threshold to $5k for 2024 (this directly from Ebay's FAQ page), so just an FYI. Ebay does have both buyer and seller protections in place, so it may be worth the price of their fees if having that is important. I've never sold anything through Amazon so can't comment on that.

The price to charge is hard to answer. Depends on what it is, how popular it is, how old it is, etc etc. Some things can get you 85 - 90% of the original selling price, and some things you may have to price at 50% to get it to sell. Best thing to do is scout the sites for comparable pieces and see what they're being listed for.

I always use PayPal for these transactions. Just what I do, not saying it's the best or only way. PayPal has protection mechanisms in place that can help you from getting burned, although even with that there are no absolute guarantees. My only advice here is that if anything during the process with a potential buyer causes a red flag to pop up, listen to your instincts and walk away. There will always be another buyer. Ship only to the registered address they have with PayPal (or whoever you use for payment) -- never ship to a different address ("I want to send it to my buddy's house so my wife doesn't see it" kind of crap). Major red flag.

Shipping only CONUS is your call. Much easier with fewer chances of problems and/or having to deal with customs/fees/duties, but you'll limit your audience a bit too.

Lastly, make sure the item is well packaged for shipping and be sure to insure it with a delivery signature required. Even if it's only an item you're selling for $100, spend the extra few dollars to be sure you have a good paper trail.
And, take plenty of pictures of the packed item before sealing the box. Take a closeup picture of the serial number too. These two tips are for your records and protection against potential scammers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back