Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 29, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #137,851 of 150,607
Plankton that has been aged in old whiskey barrels, then passed through the intestinal track of a Civet cat, and then BBQ'd is even better.

You're barbecuing much too soon. It must first be cultured with Penicillium roqueforti and aged in a Himalayan cave for seven months and four days. Time of aging is dependent on Jason's Law of Release Dates, of course. Then, and only then, should it be barbcued.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #137,852 of 150,607
Gratuitous nostalgia for a Monday morning...
012924homeentertainment.jpg
I was particularly fascinated by the trellis complete with fake vines, and the section of picket fence...
...either they wanted their interior to look like the exterior (strange,) or someone actually did move that giant assemblage outdoors (respect, I guess.)
That's @Paladin79 's living room in the house he bought right after college. Was a great way to showcase his woodworking skills. The trellis is leftover from his attempts at gardening that he gave up on (for obvious reasons). 🤣 🤣

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #137,853 of 150,607
Don't know about your particular state or country, but to my knowledge, the US' NEC doesn't require any particular orientation, only that the wiring itself is done to code.
That's what I thought.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #137,855 of 150,607
Yep, for when you want your music to SUCK instead of BLOW...

My brain immediately read that in the voice of Colonel Sandurz in the movie Spaceballs :sweat_smile:

IMG_4151.jpeg

Jan 29, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #137,857 of 150,607
yeah man life sucks but what a great build hey!
A friend got also ALS as diagnosis last week, he is not even 60 ...
So sorry to hear this. I have a friend who I've know for almost 60 years, who has suffered from Parkinson's disease for a long time.. It is heartbreaking to see close friends, slowly succumb to these incurable conditions.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #137,859 of 150,607
I wrote "purely passive" for that reason. I'll say that I found the Freya S I used to own less transparent in passive mode than the preamps I own now. Not a criticism, the Freya S was better quality/$. But for sitting between DACs putting our 4V RMS @ 0dB and current amps, why bother with active modes (looking for education here)? I understand that a good pre that has both active and passive modes is more flexible from a product point of view, of course.
I always enjoyed more the gain 4x on the Freya S.
Compared with the Freya S passive mode and gain 1X mode; and also with my DAC doing the volume control - with all these settings I miss richness/texture or whatever the word is for enjoying more the music.

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #137,860 of 150,607
I always enjoyed more the gain 4x on the Freya S.
Compared with the Freya S passive mode and gain 1X mode; and also with my DAC doing the volume control - with all these settings I miss richness/texture or whatever the word is for enjoying more the music.
Distortion

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #137,861 of 150,607
That's @Paladin79 's living room in the house he bought right after college. Was a great way to showcase his woodworking skills. The trellis is leftover from his attempts at gardening that he gave up on (for obvious reasons). 🤣 🤣
You mean you have never had an indoor picket fence??? My first job out of college was with RCA so I did do a few things with television cabinets, more like this though.🤪 IMG_2765.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #137,862 of 150,607
Best of luck sorting it out. These types of issues can be VERY frustrating. It took me months to sort out my hum issue with my Pro-ject Carbon DC. It was both mechanical and electrical -- crappy grounding of their DC power supply and the over-all crappy motor suspension. It was no fun. :rolling_eyes:
I would also try a “cheater” prong on your power cord for the Turntable. (And I would find somewhere on its chassis to affix a ground wire. I think relying on the left cable/rca jacket is a janky way of handling ground, quite frankly. You could also try a cheater on your preamp. In an ideal world, the ground potential for each component in your chain is identical (e.g. so-called “star grounding”, where there’s only one ground reference, and all else “share it”). There is some type of differential ground voltage (right now) between your turntable/arm/cartridge/wiring and your preamp. THAT is what you need to chase down.

Make sure any/all wires, and especially 60Hz AC power wires are nowhere near TT/arm/cartridge/cable to preamp. And that any that are remotely close are at 90 degree angles to the signal cables. You’ve already tried making/breaking all the various connections. I would also try moving/moving back the dip switches on your Mani underneath.

Good luck, chasing phono ground issues is fiddly

Jan 29, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #137,863 of 150,607
I would also try a “cheater” prong on your power cord for the Turntable. (And I would find somewhere on its chassis to affix a ground wire. I think relying on the left cable/rca jacket is a janky way of handling ground, quite frankly. You could also try a cheater on your preamp. In an ideal world, the ground potential for each component in your chain is identical (e.g. so-called “star grounding”, where there’s only one ground reference, and all else “share it”). There is some type of differential ground voltage (right now) between your turntable/arm/cartridge/wiring and your preamp. THAT is what you need to chase down.

Make sure any/all wires, and especially 60Hz AC power wires are nowhere near TT/arm/cartridge/cable to preamp. And that any that are remotely close are at 90 degree angles to the signal cables. You’ve already tried making/breaking all the various connections. I would also try moving/moving back the dip switches on your Mani underneath.

Good luck, chasing phono ground issues is fiddly
Kind of common-mode interference?

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #137,864 of 150,607
You mean you have never had an indoor picket fence??? My first job out of college was with RCA so I did do a few things with television cabinets, more like this though.🤪 IMG_2765.jpeg
No splines? Sheeeez....you were pretty cheap back then. 🤣

Jan 29, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #137,865 of 150,607
Guys, a small ask: can we try not to turn this thread into troubleshooting central? I mean, let me know if you can't get ahold of support, etc, but I'd really rather not have this be consumed by troubleshooting.

And yeah, I know, I need to post more. Maybe a chapter on Aegir 2 this week. Also some more new content soon. Just busy right now.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back