Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #137,791 of 154,374
Does anyone else remember the anniversary edition that Apple put out on a thumbdrive shapes like an apple?
I remember that. I also remember seeing it in a local record shop, and thinking “How Much????!!!”

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #137,792 of 154,374
Also the original 1987 CD version's of the first four albums were in mono. If you get hold of those, and combine with what’s on streaming, then there’s only Help! and Rubber Soul missing.
I bought the Mono CD box on release, and it’s my preferred way listening to this music, until you get to the white album, which I prefer in stereo.
Help! That is referring to me asking for assistance, not the about the Beatles song, movie or record call Help!, but about the 2009 Beatles in Mono CD box set.
A few years ago I tracked down and bought a copy. I quickly discovered that when it came the market was flooded with Chinese bootleg versions. I thought I found a genuine copy. But,
At least one song in the box set I have is "dual mono" with one side being mostly or all vocals, and the other side being instruments. Anyone know for sure if I have a legit or counterfeit copy?
Note, there are many different versions of counterfeits.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #137,793 of 154,374
Help! That is referring to me asking for assistance, not the about the Beatles song, movie or record call Help!, but about the 2009 Beatles in Mono CD box set.
A few years ago I tracked down and bought a copy. I quickly discovered that when it came the market was flooded with Chinese bootleg versions. I thought I found a genuine copy. But,
At least one song in the box set I have is "dual mono" with one side being mostly or all vocals, and the other side being instruments. Anyone know for sure if I have a legit or counterfeit copy?
I don’t know if you have a counterfeit copy, but on my legit copy the CDs of Help and Rubber Soul also include the original stereo mixes from the 60s, as well as the mono versions. All the other discs are completely mono.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #137,794 of 154,374
The Beatles
I don’t know if you have a counterfeit copy, but on my legit copy the CDs of Help and Rubber Soul also include the original stereo mixes from the 60s, as well as the mono versions. All the other discs are completely mono.

The 2014 US CDs of their early albums have mono and stereo versions of all tracks. I have five of them.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #137,795 of 154,374
Try these tests:
Set normal listening volume on integrated amp and keep it constant. Sys input select mani. For each test below, turn sys all the way down before making cabling changes, and then sys vol to max after reconnecting. Note how hum level changes (if at all)
Test #001: unplug mmb2 wall wart, leave RCAs connected
#002: swap wall wart from mmb2 to mani.
Keep mmb2 AC unconnected
#003: disconnect TT inputs at mani (wall wart still connected)
Test #001: Still humming
Test #002: Mani still hums
Test #003: No hum

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #137,797 of 154,374
Gotcha. OK. So based on that it is Mani somehow. I know DUMB thing to check, but have your played with the gain switch on the bottom, like maybe move it back/forth a few times (perhaps a poor contact tricked it into lower gain - where hum would be more noticeable, relatively). Otherwise, I’d say it’s the Mani.

(I can personally highly recommend Skoll…)

Good luck
Dip switches are confirmed to still be at factory settings.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #137,799 of 154,374
What TT make/model do you have?

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #137,800 of 154,374
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:59 PM Post #137,801 of 154,374
Yeah. Now I just need to figure out to fix it!
How long ago did you install your cartridge? If it's been a while, you might try just removing/replacing the tonearm wires from the back of the cartridge (or if it's a P-mount, pull it off and put it back on). At the millivolt signal level at that juncture, even a little oxidation can cause issues and simply refreshing the contact points may help.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #137,802 of 154,374
Jan 28, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #137,804 of 154,374
What TT make/model do you have?
Orbit U-Turn Plus with cart upgraded to Ortofon 2M series. Have both Blue and Red stylus for the cart, hum is on both, FWIW.

Per U-Turn, “The Orbit is internally grounded through the shielding of the left RCA output, so no external ground wire is needed (even if your phono preamp has a ground screw or terminal).”

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #137,805 of 154,374
But check that the ground wire from the TT is connected to your phono preamp first.

:beerchug:
JC
Sadly, not an option?

Per U-Turn, “The Orbit is internally grounded through the shielding of the left RCA output, so no external ground wire is needed (even if your phono preamp has a ground screw or terminal).”

I’m having trouble understanding why it just started to happen, out of nowhere.

It was dead silent before…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back