Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 28, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #137,776 of 155,134
Can someone point me in the right direction regarding Gungnir "versions / revisions"? I've seen "Revision A" and I know there are differences in USB used (Gen 5 / Unison). What I'm trying to figure out is what version / upgrades a particular Gungnir has, if any. I don't know if there are clues based on Serial number or "What a Gen 5 vs Unison USB looks like"... I've seen it mentioned that a Serial Number beginning with a "B" means it "has an Analog 2 board that was never officially acknowledged" (...the Secret Menu :sunglasses:). Additionally, I see Black and White USB inputs... not sure if there is anything notable about that, or they just happen to be "a different color because that's what we had at the time".

By the way... I am looking for a D/S version of Gungnir. So, if you have one... well...this is called a "buying sign"...:wave:

I've tried searching around and haven't been able to find the definitive info. Not sure if the Schiit mailbox will take a Serial # and provide the details. Haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for any help. :checkered_flag::checkered_flag::checkered_flag:
So, interestingly, I found this in eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/276299732769

If it has Unison or Gen5 USB upgrades it will have a sticker showing that.

This is a multibit version, but it's shows the sticker by the USB: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325977945512

Jan 28, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #137,777 of 155,134
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #137,778 of 155,134
Jan 28, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #137,779 of 155,134
I have posted this CD Jennifer Warnes - The Hunter - several times. I play Lights of Lousianne to evaluate high frequency, detail, sibilance and speed. Other tracks for bass. I have owned it since its initial release.
I have just ordered a copy on CD and look forward to hearing it.
The only Jennifer Warnes album I own is ‘Famous Blue Raincoat’ and I really like that.

Edit: I had a listen to 'Famous Blue Raincoat' CD last night for the first time in years. The sound quality is superb!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #137,780 of 155,134
It’s not available on any streaming services. The physical versions of the box set were limited edition I believe, but do still turn up on eBay at high prices.
Mono versions of Revolver, Sgt Pepper, and the white albums were included in the deluxe box sets of those albums, which are available to stream.
Thanks!

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #137,781 of 155,134
Also the original 1987 CD version's of the first four albums were in mono. If you get hold of those, and combine with what’s on streaming, then there’s only Help! and Rubber Soul missing.
I bought the Mono CD box on release, and it’s my preferred way listening to this music, until you get to the white album, which I prefer in stereo.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #137,782 of 155,134
The Dylan mono box was mentioned earlier, and I agree. It’s fantastic.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #137,783 of 155,134
On another note...

I'm kind of amazed at the sensitivity of the human ear (specifically mine, where "cloth eared" would be flattering them....)

I'm converting the aforementioned Jimmy Smith album to digital. The LP is a bit clicky shall we say. Maybe approaching a geiger counter in clickiness, iykwim.
De-clickifying it has taken all day for side one. Using Asgard 3/MB card, DT770, Audacity

I play it, and when I hear a click I stop and "Repair" it. Some of those clicks are less then 30 samples long. The sample rate is 96KHz so that's like 1ms?

P.S. I don't mean to imply any personal exceptionalism here, I imagine most of you would hear more things than I'm hearing at this scale. Just amazed at the ability of human physiology to hear click-ton (!) at that time scale.
Why not record the album, with clicks, completely in Audacity, then it's easy to have the program de-click the entire recording. It's very easy, and what I do with my scratched/click vinyl. It will analyze the whole recording and remove as needed.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #137,784 of 155,134
Also the original 1987 CD version's of the first four albums were in mono. If you get hold of those, and combine with what’s on streaming, then there’s only Help! and Rubber Soul missing.
I bought the Mono CD box on release, and it’s my preferred way listening to this music, until you get to the white album, which I prefer in stereo.
Excellent beta. You're a helpful lad, Mike. 👍🏻

Here's to hoping they reissue those CD box sets again someday!

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #137,785 of 155,134
Re: bathroom tissue roll...

Unless you guys got some 6SN7 tube-powered, gravity-defying rolls of Schiit* toilet paper... Does it not allways unroll from the top?

Now, if it unrolls front-facing or rear*-facing... Small nations have gone to war over less, no?

"Unrolls from the top" just doesn't smell* right to me. It's like the meaning of it splashes* back at me, uncomfortably. I feel I'm straining* & grunting* to plop* my thoughts out, sitting* here...

*no pun intended
I'll show myself out.
You're correct re unrolling from the top.
The correct way is front facing un-roll.
That is fact, not opinion.*

*joke - it's opinion

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #137,786 of 155,134
Up this afternoon: Ike Quebec’s last album, “Soul Samba”. It‘s a relaxed and relaxing listen. The NOS Amperex ECC88 tubes in the Freya N have about 20 hours on them and make all the jazz that I’ve listened to so far sound warm and wonderful.

1706478670438.png

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #137,787 of 155,134
Re: bathroom tissue roll...

Unless you guys got some 6SN7 tube-powered, gravity-defying rolls of Schiit* toilet paper... Does it not allways unroll from the top?

Now, if it unrolls front-facing or rear*-facing... Small nations have gone to war over less, no?

"Unrolls from the top" just doesn't smell* right to me. It's like the meaning of it splashes* back at me, uncomfortably. I feel I'm straining* & grunting* to plop* my thoughts out, sitting* here...

*no pun intended
I'll show myself out.
Overshot vs undershot?

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #137,788 of 155,134
Also the original 1987 CD version's of the first four albums were in mono. ...
Does anyone else remember the anniversary edition that Apple put out on a thumbdrive shaped like an apple?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #137,789 of 155,134
Why not record the album, with clicks, completely in Audacity, then it's easy to have the program de-click the entire recording. It's very easy, and what I do with my scratched/click vinyl. It will analyze the whole recording and remove as needed.
I started there. It didn't remove very many clicks if I go by all the clicks I can still hear.

The Audacity remove clicks worked better, not foolproof, on another album.

Jan 28, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #137,790 of 155,134

Users who are viewing this thread

Back