Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 26, 2024 at 1:43 PM Post #137,566 of 152,736
I did a quick check of local used listings and I found two sets that I'm curious what everyone thinks. There were a cheap set of Klipsch SB2s and for twice as much a pair of Elac Debut B6. Would either of those pair well with a Rekkr? I've been happy with my Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 surrounds but it's not really the same situation.

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #137,567 of 152,736
Be honest; you're actually David Letterman.
LOL! While I am better looking to be sure, his bank account almost certainly has many more zeros (before the decimal point) than mine. 🤣

Jan 26, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #137,569 of 152,736
Maybe not. Why would he keep his money in the bank today?
Because stuffing that much money in the mattress would make sleeping very uncomfortable? :thinking:

Jan 26, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #137,570 of 152,736
This reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask the local Schittizens. If you were making the choice to go with 2xGjallarhorn or 1xAegir 1, which would you choose, and why? What are the variables that would sway you to make one choice over the other? The only notable difference I see on paper is that 2xGjallarhorn may not work as well for speakers with a more challenging impedance curve.

I've been considering buying one or the other lately, and it seems that the price/performance ratio between these two is very similar. For those who have heard both, feel free to add your subjective opinions. I would be running Gungnir Multibit A2>Freya-N>Amp(s) of choice>Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1
My vote would be 1x Aegir, because then you can eventually get 2x Aegir.

Reference: I was using 2x Gjallarhorn in my 2-channel setup quite happily, they sound fantastic, BUT an opportunity for 2x Aegir landed in my lap and the difference is noticeable, in some respects palpable.

Both amps are similar sonically, but the Aegir seems to have better control over the speaker, especially during dynamic sections of a composition. And for lack of a better term has better grip on the bass. Overall an effortless musical experience, and nothing feels forced, thin, or anemic.

@adydula had done a really nice comparison not too long ago, definitely worth a read if you haven't already.

My Gjallarhorn are now doing other things, one is on Syn duty, and the other has desktop duty.

In all seriousness you can't go wrong with either choice, but the Aegir is a killer amp if it fits with your room size and preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #137,571 of 152,736
Jan 26, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #137,572 of 152,736
ROFL. Me too. :smile: My last house in NC had all GE kitchen appliances when we bought it. Within the first 6 months, the built-in microwave died. Then the bottom heating element in the oven went crispy-crackly. Then the control panel for the dishwasher went out in a smoke-emitting huff. Then the plastic water tank in the 'fridge cracked, flooding the kitchen floor. I can't badger him about jet engines, but I have lots of fun with GE appliances. And, of course, tubes. 🤣
Except that GE Appliances are not GE anymore......

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #137,575 of 152,736
I did a quick check of local used listings and I found two sets that I'm curious what everyone thinks. There were a cheap set of Klipsch SB2s and for twice as much a pair of Elac Debut B6. Would either of those pair well with a Rekkr? I've been happy with my Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 surrounds but it's not really the same situation.

If you get the the Klipsch for cheap <$100, that could be a nice nearfield system.

The Elacs are harder to drive. 87db/6 ohm vs 93db/8 ohm for Klipsch.

Jan 26, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #137,576 of 152,736
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:14 PM Post #137,577 of 152,736
I like it, but I don't. To like-button, or not to like-button - for that is the question.

Andrew
If I were able to like it, I probably wouldn't. :D

Jan 26, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #137,578 of 152,736
My vote would be 1x Aegir, because then you can eventually get 2x Aegir.

Reference: I was using 2x Gjallarhorn in my 2-channel setup quite happily, they sound fantastic, BUT an opportunity for 2x Aegir landed in my lap and the difference is noticeable, in some respects palpable.

Both amps are similar sonically, but the Aegir seems to have better control over the speaker, especially during dynamic sections of a composition. And for lack of a better term has better grip on the bass. Overall an effortless musical experience, and nothing feels forced, thin, or anemic.

@adydula had done a really nice comparison not too long ago, definitely worth a read if you haven't already.

My Gjallarhorn are now doing other things, one is on Syn duty, and the other has desktop duty.

In all seriousness you can't go wrong with either choice, but the Aegir is a killer amp if it fits with your room size and preferences.

This is a thoughtful post. Thanks for the insight @mjstealey .

The grip actually is the only reason I haven't moved to the Aegir prior to now. The NAD C-270 I'm currently using is incredibly good at this, and the best of any of the amps I've owned. However, the majority of the deep bass (below ~70Hz) is handled by a subwoofer, and I'm thinking the Class A (ish) power will be an upgrade in accuracy for the main channels. This is a semi-nearfield office system at studio monitor distances for which I don't require the vast power reserves that the NAD has. I would lose only about 7dB total gain at max volume, which will be irrelevant.

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts on this subject. If I make this move it will be a last call Aegir.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #137,579 of 152,736
I'm not sure. I've had these same speakers for ages. Appreciate the offer, but I think I would just try the Deftechs first as they seem similar to the M-1.

I already stress out enough trying to figure out the correct crossover and levels on my home theater. I'm not sure I want to go through the same hassle with computer speakers.

I'm not sure what would be a good pair of used bookshelf speakers, though. Especially ones common enough to be easily found. That's really the big blocker for me going with a Rekkr.

I'm wondering if I should just try out the Deftechs and see how they sound and move to something else later when I've have more listening time. Hopefully that would help me better identify what I'd like. It would also give me a chance to test the Rekkr with my Elacs.
Polk Monitor series from the early 80s. Monitor 4a or 5b are small and should be efficient enough. -- 89db.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back