Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #137,326 of 153,233
Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #137,327 of 153,233
Old fashioned semi Schiit stack from eons ago still in use :) ......with meters:
IMG_20231215_151300453~2.jpg

Sorry they aren't the exact width. Transporter is better perched up high with it's antennas up for the wifi, wifey likes the plant.:) I like the meters. They're funner than the other displays to me. YMMV I know that's on the Schiit Sine Wave!

Oh and BBC is the British Broadcasting Corporation. :)

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #137,328 of 153,233
Old fashioned semi Schiit stack from eons ago still in use :) ......with meters:IMG_20231215_151300453~2.jpg
Sorry they aren't the exact width. Transporter is better perched up high with it's antennas up for the wifi, wifey likes the plant.:) I like the meters. They're funner than the other displays to me. YMMV I know that's on the Schiit Sine Wave!

I also stream the BBC WSO from time to time.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #137,329 of 153,233
Talking about radio, reminds me "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" by The Carpenters.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #137,330 of 153,233
Old fashioned semi Schiit stack from eons ago still in use :) ......with meters:

Thanks for sharing the pic @Pandahead
I also have a Transporter, in black.
The silver ones are pretty rare and I think they look great.
For many years I also used its Wi Fi connection, which worked fine until I tried to stream the occasional high res file (24/96) from Qobuz.
It couldn’t cope, so I ended up running some external Cat 6 cable from my router in the loft, down an outside wall of the house, and into my ‘music room’ and using the ethernet connection on Transporter.
It was a few hours’ work, but well worth the effort.
It now works perfectly, with no buffering at all and sounds very good as a digital source.
It is quite remarkable really, for a device designed about 16 years ago, long before Qobuz or TIDAL even existed.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #137,332 of 153,233
Got this in a daily "specials" email. How to tell me that you don't care without stating explicitly that you don't care 😏. The reseller is best known as a huge reseller of photography equipment. ...or have I been grossly over-paying for headphones these past 2 years? 😱

I don't know about the headphones, but that's a great price for the SL-1200/1210 GR. I know that they're being discounted to make room for the GR2, but that's a crazy good deal if real.

Jan 24, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #137,333 of 153,233
Great post @OldRoadToad :beyersmile:
I love your ‘undimmed’ enthusiasm for VU meters :wink:
I am very lucky to have three digital sources- CDs, ripped CDs on hard drive, Qobuz- plus vinyl.
I got back into vinyl about 2 years ago.
Like you, I can’t really claim that it is ‘better’ than digital, although it can sound great.
On purely objective grounds, there is no way I can justify the cost of all the kit…and the vinyl itself, so I won’t even try.
All rational, logical reasoning went out of the window when I re-entered the crazy world of vinyl, but I love it.
BTW, my ancient streamer has VU meters on it ( they are ‘faux’ meters but everyone comments on how cool they are).
They serve no real purpose whatsoever!
I think that’s part of their appeal.
Hope you don’t get banned, ORT!

Edit: I think PRaT was a marketing term coined by a well-known British Hi Fi manufacturer back in the 70s.
I’ll say no more, as I might risk offending their ‘fans’…
Ironically to my British Lug'oles ( ears ) Schiit kit has fab PRaT , but also does soundstage depth thingy planktony stuff too !! In other words I like it - a lot !!

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #137,334 of 153,233
Thanks for sharing the pic @Pandahead
I also have a Transporter, in black.
The silver ones are pretty rare and I think they look great.
For many years I also used its Wi Fi connection, which worked fine until I tried to stream the occasional high res file (24/96) from Qobuz.
It couldn’t cope, so I ended up running some external Cat 6 cable from my router in the loft, down an outside wall of the house, and into my ‘music room’ and using the ethernet connection on Transporter.
It was a few hours’ work, but well worth the effort.
It now works perfectly, with no buffering at all and sounds very good as a digital source.
It is quite remarkable really, for a device designed about 16 years ago, long before Qobuz or TIDAL even existed.
I had a hunch that you were referring to a Transporter. :)

It's irrational in a way but it's always been a favorite of mine all these years. I've parted with other gear but never the Transporter! That center control knob was a clever idea but what few are left in the wild probably have all quit working.

Old fashioned Ethernet just works reliably. I've done similar with a Squeezebox Touch that was in the kitchen.

Where the Transporter is it gets good signal and has no problem with 24/96 fortunately. That area of the attic is far beyond the capability of my old bones! :)

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #137,336 of 153,233
That's great...just GREAT!! Now it's going to take half the day to get that song out of my head..!:angry::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::ksc75smile:
Cheers!:beerchug:
-HK sends
Glad you like it .... during the space age, this is the song sealed to most of people's heart, and Joan Baez is during the anti-war years.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:06 PM Post #137,337 of 153,233
Ironically to my British Lug'oles ( ears ) Schiit kit has fab PRaT , but also does soundstage depth thingy planktony stuff too !! In other words I like it - a lot !!
Height too, especially at those old mono recordings by Beatles.

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #137,338 of 153,233
Glad you like it .... during the space age, this is the song sealed to most of people's heart, and Joan Baez is during the anti-war years.
As 5 year old I remember my Dad roused us from our sleep to watch Neil Armstrong walk on the moon - oh the sheer joy of that memory !

Jan 24, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #137,340 of 153,233
As it relates to cables, cords, fuses -- here is my story:

1. I have a mental hard-stop at approx. $150 for a 6' pair of cables. Quality of the conductive and insulator materials as well as connectors is key. If I manage to hear an improvement (whether real or imagined), it is a bonus. Aesthetics matter here.
2. Inter-connect quality is where I tend to fuss, but again, I have a mental hard stop at approx. $70 for a 1-meter SE stereo cable. Shielding, grounding, connector quality, and electrical properties of low-level signals seems like where the emphasis should be, IMHO. I'll spend a bit more for XLR balanced cables. Aesthetics matter here. (WBC or Snake Oil are preferred vendors.)
3. Power cables is a hard-stop at approx. $80 for a standard IEC 5 ft. cable. Shielding to minimize/eliminate interference with low-level signal cables (see #2) and solid connection to the device and wall socket is my objective. Quality of the conductive material, connectors, design, and jacket matter to me here as does aesthetics. (All mine are Pangea AC-14)
4. Fuses? Well, I tried it and could not really hear a difference. Maybe my mind has a hard-stop and tells my ears -- 'don't be a dumb-ass'. Or maybe I had the fuses in backwards. :D

YMMV. IMHO.
And we learned fast, to travel light..... (don't get me wrong, I am not making an anti-war campaign)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back