Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #136,396 of 150,456
We should all chip in and get this for @bcowen…
If you think he does not have a tube case, you would likely be mistaken. Now, does he have a GE case? HELL NO and if he did, he'd never own up to it! :D

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #136,397 of 150,456
Magni Unities have not been "bricking" or "catching on fire."
aha! i found out where - the "magni unity impressions" thread on here, specifically page 3-4 -
So the DAC fried hard enough to damage the amp? Ouch. This is the first instance I’ve read about any Unity problems. I wonder how many they’ve sold. If it’s a common problem or life is just picking on you guys this week. I didn’t get the DAC because I don’t have a USB source I want to use. Hope it gets taken care of. Dealing with cross border RMAs is no fun. I’m not overly picky about where things are made, but I really like domestic, or better yet local, service
--
Yeah, it seems that way. I guess being a guinea pig for products that haven't been thoroughly tested before hitting mass production comes with its own price. Apologies if I come across a bit grumpy, but I've had previous experiences with defective Schiit products.

Again, sorry if i am spreading bad info or making too much noise of this - only wanted to make sure bugs and mechanical gremlins are settled before i order my own!

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #136,398 of 150,456
I bet Ken had Plankton galore with that rig. Perhaps his estate would be willing to sell the excess plankton to those in need. (Unless I'm mistaken, he has passed onto the great sound room in the sky. RIP Ken.)
I read the Washington Post article and scanned the comments. I'm also a guy who got disowned by his father. It's one hell of a cautionary tale about letting a hobby become a destructive obsession. :triportsad:

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #136,399 of 150,456
How about a much less controversial topic, Bourbon!

Two other friends of mine and I are sampling Bourbon. My buddy realized that he had over 60+ after visiting Kentucky for a road trip with his wife. He decided to do a NCAA style bracket after he realized he had enough for the first round.

The initial pairings were all randomized.
  • Are we taking it seriously? Kind of at least to the point of trying them all neat and progressively adding drops of water
  • Do any of us care which ends up the final winner. Not really as we’re having to much fun sampling them
  • Do we discuss what we were all tasting and why we picked the winner of the pairing? Yes but with laughter and ribbing each other
  • We do a lot of solve of the worlds problems and promptly forget the solution by the next morning
What does this have to do with audio?
  • We are listening to vinyl during the sessions from all of our collections
  • Does my buddies system sound good? Yes, compared to most systems
  • Would I eq it like he does? No
  • Is there too much bass? Yes
  • Does he like the smiley face eq setting? Yes
Do any of our preferences for Bourbon or how his system sound matter? Not in the least bit as he likes it and it’s better than what most people listen to.

It all comes down to personal preferences and there is no right or wrong.

Here is the bracket so far. On any day some of the winners could flip.

Enjoy!
That is a fantastic idea, although some of my choices would vary a bit. I saw the other day that a version of Heaven Hill was voted one of the top bourbons around. Everyone is getting into selling more prestigious product and HH's 27 year old can fetch about $2,700 a bottle. Their basic bourbon was the cheap alternative when I spent some of my college years in Kentucky. Normally I sip EH Taylor or Blanton's when listening to music late at night, occasionally some Wild Turkey rare breed. A new favorite is Oregon Spirits BIB, but it requires a road trip to buy that in my area. I have been involved in some equipment and tube comparisons but we only drink after those are over, that is when the after party begins. I just purchased several bottles of this bourbon.....

This 19 year old W.L. Weller was introduced in 2000. It was bottled?annually until 2003 when it was discontinued due to the Sazerac partnership with Old Rip Van Winkle, which required primary access to the distillery ageing wheated bourbon. It returned as the younger William Larue Weller in 2005, which has been bottled annually since?as part of?the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection, a selection of whiskies collated and in some cases created to pay homage to the history of the company and its brands. A 1982 vintage, this was bottled from a stock of well-aged Stitzel-Weller casks unloaded by Diageo in the late 1990s.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #136,400 of 150,456
aha! i found out where - the "magni unity impressions" thread on here, specifically page 3-4 -

--

Again, sorry if i am spreading bad info or making too much noise of this - only wanted to make sure bugs and mechanical gremlins are settled before i order my own!
Interesting post. I accept this ridiculous hobby might throw magic blue smoke into my eyes. I can't assume zero failure. I sometimes look in the mirror and tell myself these toys are just that -- luxury items. They are NOT life saving devices -- like smoke detectors or fire extinguishers.

BTW, I'm not throwing shade at you @monf3307 ... you make valid points, eh. :smile_phones:

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #136,401 of 150,456
Well, I love my Folkvangr, @michael2v

I couldn't possibly recommend such a 'bonkers' amp though....:beyersmile:
This is exactly how I think I feel about it! First thing that came to mind...

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #136,402 of 150,456

--

It looks like just 2 folks have stated this happened to them. Am I missing more? (I do have a habit of skimming)

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #136,403 of 150,456
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #136,404 of 150,456
They know how to handle that up there. It is here in N. TX (where the Cowboys pooped the bed and we had 1/8" of an inch of snow/ice), that your concern should be directed. Most here can't even drive in a light rain or at night, much less while sobbing uncontrollably. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #136,405 of 150,456

--

Warranty is the right thing to ask for if anything went south.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #136,406 of 150,456
They know how to handle that up there. It's here in N. TX where the Cowboys pooped the bed and we had 1/8" of an inch of snow/ice, where your concern should be directed. Most here can't even drive in a light rain or at night. :rolling_eyes:
Reminds me of Ice Storm '94 when I was living in Memphis; people were clearing supermarket shelves like it was the end of days!

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #136,407 of 150,456
Just a day at the beach here in the Great White North.

1705336817649.png

:beerchug:
JC

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #136,409 of 150,456
Reminds me of Ice Storm '94 when I was living in Memphis; people were clearing supermarket shelves like it was the end of days!
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 01.07.38.png

Available at Schiit :)

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #136,410 of 150,456
Having taken the time to read the very brief thread, only two people reported issues and neither stated that their devices caught fire. It’s always worth remembering that those who don’t have any issues rarely comment whereas those who have issues often make it seem like it‘s a big deal.
I guess the dac card was fried, not on fire, even the worst case came, it has a metal casing, fire proof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back