Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #134,851 of 155,210
I got tired of messing with DIY PC and NAS solutions and Mac Minis, Squeeze Servers and Soft Squeeze, Roon on Linux, Pi and everything else not off the shelf ready and invested in the SonicOrbiter infrastructure (server and all endpoints) and things have been rock-solid ever since with no issues at all, and the ability to sync Roon playback on all three of my endpoints simultaneously if I choose. It was not the cheapest solution (nor the most expensive) but I am happy to no longer futz with it. YMMV.

As I was reading your post, I was waiting for my just-set-up Home Assistant server to update and I'm about to go to town on enumerating a ton of home devices into it and start planning automations. There's a small endorphin rush when something you want to accomplish actually works. Also very much YMMV.

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #134,853 of 155,210
Which speakers are these?

IMG_9154.jpeg
Emotiva Fives or Sixes. Long discontinued, and I seldom see them on the used market.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #134,855 of 155,210
Figured it out…

As long as MPLab X is running, it will prevent Roon from discovering any DACs on the USB bus, regardless of whether my PICKit5 is actually connected to that machine or not.

Shocker, I know, as both, Roon and MPLab X, are built on top of those flawless, perfect, always-being-good-citizens "code once, deploy everywhere" frameworks.
Good to hear you sorted it out!

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #134,857 of 155,210
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #134,858 of 155,210
Which small desktop powered, non-BT, speakers do you recommend?

Klipsch the fives.

Incredible sound for nearfield listening.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #134,859 of 155,210
I have had Roon for many years. Currently the core is on an eight core AMD something or other on a something or other laptop tucked out of the way. It does nothing else. Frankly I have never even tried to do anything else on it! Main library on a SS drive.

The only Roon problem I had to noodle through was when RVing ARC would go down. If there's an extended power outage and UPS dies then when stuff finally comes back Roon Server gets assigned a new IP address. No ARC.

I am using Parametric EQ for room correction that placement and treatment can't. I cannot hear any veil caused by using it only improvement. I am up sampling to DSD256 with even more improvement on my non Schiit DAC. Roon said give it a try. I did. Works great for me. No problems. A giant YMMV. Some will call it stupid nonsense, waste of money, etc. That's ok. Everything just responds and obediently does it's job.

Last six weeks out of town everything is just like home with ARC. Works great. Plug phone into Unison USB DAC. Qobuz integrates really well. Good to go. You do need good WiFi or good LTE.

Roon is running in two rooms, the patio, and the workshop. It just has been working well for me.

I just got lucky I guess, which is great. :) The clocks tickin'. Each day is a gift. And I'm running out of time to mess with trying to get stuff to work before I'm dead!:darthsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:40 PM Post #134,860 of 155,210
Figured it out…

As long as MPLab X is running, it will prevent Roon from discovering any DACs on the USB bus, regardless of whether my PICKit5 is actually connected to that machine or not.

Shocker, I know, as both, Roon and MPLab X, are built on top of those flawless, perfect, always-being-good-citizens "code once, deploy everywhere" frameworks.
Deja Vu when reading your recent post. Turns out I was actually right this time...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8093#post-17646053

(a post-then-fuggeddaboutit scenario???)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #134,861 of 155,210
Edifer and Audioengine are good brands to look up.

Possibly a bit big for a computer desk but I used to have Audioengine A5+ and they are good. Look great in white too.
Edifier is fine if you like Class D hiss. I have Edifier and they aren't great. Bought them initially because I didn't know any better.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #134,862 of 155,210
Edifier is fine if you like Class D hiss. I have Edifier and they aren't great. Bought them initially because I didn't know any better.
I’ve never really gone hardcore into the small desktop speaker world tbh. Was more convenience for me. Happy to hear from those more knowledgeable than I am.

Also I’ve personally not owned Edifer. Just remember that they seem to be one of the prominent brands in that space.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #134,864 of 155,210
I’ve never really gone hardcore into the small desktop speaker world tbh. Was more convenience for me. Happy to hear from those more knowledgeable than I am.

Also I’ve personally not owned Edifer. Just remember that they seem to be one of the prominent brands in that space.
Yea. They are fine to start out with. But once you hear the hiss, it can't be unheard. Just had to retire my Edifier 1700BTs. They started making a popping sound. Think a capacitor went bad.

Jan 3, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #134,865 of 155,210
Which small desktop powered, non-BT, speakers do you recommend?

I have the Audioengine HD4 which work pretty well for nearfield desktop use. One thing I really like about them that others may hate, is that all the inputs are live at the same time. So, I can feed my PC audio out into one input and my streamer into the other and have both at the same time which I find often quite useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back