Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #134,836 of 155,148
I wouldn't go that far! ROCK has been reliable on a NUC, but I still do get some of those issues.

Actually, Roon seems to have regressed of late on both iPhone and Pi endpoints - all seems to be server relatded
I got tired of messing with DIY PC and NAS solutions and Mac Minis, Squeeze Servers and Soft Squeeze, Roon on Linux, Pi and everything else not off the shelf ready and invested in the SonicOrbiter infrastructure (server and all endpoints) and things have been rock-solid ever since with no issues at all, and the ability to sync Roon playback on all three of my endpoints simultaneously if I choose. It was not the cheapest solution (nor the most expensive) but I am happy to no longer futz with it. YMMV.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #134,837 of 155,148
Running Roon on a NAS was of interest a few years ago but I could never get used to the idea that it's not officially supported. Further, I suspect that my NAS might not be up to spec to run Roon effectively which is why I went with the NUC/Rock and it has been flawless.

I'm starting to be happy that I didn't go with any Pi based endpoints although I researched them heavily. I've not had any issues streaming to my iPhone.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:25 PM Post #134,838 of 155,148
Do you mean the server (core)? Or all aspects of Roon on mac?
The core has mostly been reliable for me on macOS, at least the standalone one without the UI. The rest of Roon, though, not so much.

Some of the issues I keep having with Roon are the same Mono/.net/C# issues you have on all platforms (like it being the outrageous memory hog that it is, constant crashes on mobile devices, or the fact that the UI doesn't act, look, or feel native to the environment it's running on). Others are just bad design decisions on Roon Labs' end, like the fact that ARC almost never actually works, and when it does, it doesn't do so for very long.

And yes, they keep having regression problems, which is just … sad.

Today's issue: The Roon client on my workstation refuses to recognize any and all DACs connected to that workstation. macOS recognizes them, other applications (like the Qobuz app) recognize them, just not Roon. I've had the same issue a few weeks ago and tracked it down to another USB device that was connected to the machine at the same time, but that device isn't connected today. Even if I unplug everything but the Gungnir MB and reboot the entire machine and every and all Roon instances on my network, it still doesn't want to recognize any DAC locally connected via USB.
But just on that one machine, others work fine.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #134,839 of 155,148
IME reading impressions across various sites, seems Jot2 is somewhat a red-headed step-child, hahaha. Maybe it's my impressions that are wrong, however. I just get the sense it isn't a beloved piece of gear. FWIW, I own one (bought a silver one with 9028 DAC card last march; first non-portable electonics I bought in well over a decade), as well as a BF 2/64 (purchased in August). I am not left wanting, but then again, I'm not much of a hobbyist and am not comparing it against other gear.

I might jump on the MJ3 train, but my usage would have to increase dramatically to justify putting more $ into gear.
Can you share impressions of the 9028 card compared to the BF 2/64?

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #134,840 of 155,148
Yeah, the fix is to remove and reset all mice and reconnect and do not move BT devices between computers.
If it's an Apple mouse, trackpad, or keyboard, you just plug it into your Mac and it'll re-pair with that host. No big deal. If you don't have a cable at hand, a quick Google search will reveal ways to put the BT device into discovery mode.

Jan 3, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #134,841 of 155,148
The core has mostly been reliable for me on macOS, at least the standalone one without the UI. The rest of Roon, though, not so much.

Some of the issues I keep having with Roon are the same Mono/.net/C# issues you have on all platforms (like it being the outrageous memory hog that it is, constant crashes on mobile devices, or the fact that the UI doesn't act, look, or feel native to the environment it's running on). Others are just bad design decisions on Roon Labs' end, like the fact that ARC almost never actually works, and when it does, it doesn't do so for very long.

And yes, they keep having regression problems, which is just … sad.

Today's issue: The Roon client on my workstation refuses to recognize any and all DACs connected to that workstation. macOS recognizes them, other applications (like the Qobuz app) recognize them, just not Roon. I've had the same issue a few weeks ago and tracked it down to another USB device that was connected to the machine at the same time, but that device isn't connected today. Even if I unplug everything but the Gungnir MB and reboot the entire machine and every and all Roon instances on my network, it still doesn't want to recognize any DAC locally connected via USB.
But just on that one machine, others work fine.
Roonsters should take stock about 6 months from now on whether things got better or worse after the Harman annexation. FWIW, my perception is that there's more risk to the downside. If so, unfortunate for recent lifetime license purchasers who got the pig in a poke.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #134,842 of 155,148
If it's an Apple mouse, trackpad, or keyboard, you just plug it into your Mac and it'll re-pair with that host. No big deal. If you don't have a cable at hand, a quick Google search will reveal ways to put the BT device into discovery mode.
Raspberry Pi mouse :)

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #134,845 of 155,148
Sounds good, but what about the client? A music library needs to be browsed, if you ask me. Both from my phone and from my desktop.

And the latter needs to work quite differently from the former! If you don't give me table view where I can choose which columns to display, and easily sort and filter by every viewed column, you haven't really created a desktop app. In My Experienced Opinion. No idea whether Roon fails to do that, but Spotify and Tidal sure do, among many others.
It's my end game. I bought MJ3 because I was curious what class A means etc. Mostly I prefer my tubes though.

Hey folks, this Garcia Saunders/Garcia Band "Heads and Tails" vol 1 is the upmost.

Jan 3, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #134,847 of 155,148
Figured it out…

As long as MPLab X is running, it will prevent Roon from discovering any DACs on the USB bus, regardless of whether my PICKit5 is actually connected to that machine or not.

Shocker, I know, as both, Roon and MPLab X, are built on top of those flawless, perfect, always-being-good-citizens "code once, deploy everywhere" frameworks.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #134,850 of 155,148
Which speakers are these?

IMG_9154.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back