Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #134,311 of 150,255
1703719412641.png
I know, modernism/post-romanticism isn't everybody's cup of tea. But Arnold Schönberg is still one of the most seriously under-appreciated composers.
This past year, I've been really getting into the music of Mieczysław Weinberg, a Polish/Soviet composer who Shostakovich befriended and championed. Weinberg was a very promising composer and performer in Poland before the German invasion and the story of his harrowing escape to Russia, losing his entire family in the process, could be the story for a film. Later in Russia, he was arrested by Stalinist authorities on bogus charges and was only released - and likely escaped execution - upon Stalin's sudden death.

Quite a tale, and his music is truly wonderful!

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #134,312 of 150,255
Hello Mr. Jason Stoddard .
Thank you for r eading my post . First , I must apologize to you because somehow I must have made a mistake when I wrote the email address # 2 that is the link to the professional " white paper " presented at the mathematician conference in Switzerland . My mistake , sorry . If you do go to the link # 1 , that email address is accurate and will take you to the website page that has a simple , easy to understand , explanation and description of their proprietary technology . From that same page , you can then go the page with the " white paper " , that has a very serious explanation of how this technology is completely new and different than all similar previous technology .

Second , if anyone actually does serious research into the proprietary LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology , and they have an understanding of mathematics , they will learn that this really is a significant breakthrough in audiophile technology . This new technology does volume control in a way that has never been done before . It does it much better than it has ever been done before . Much better than any analog technology on digital sources . Analog volume control technology that you sell is the very analog equipment available for analog sources , no doubt about it . But , according to science and mathematicians , it may not be the state of the art for volume control technology for digital sources .

I have great respect for you , I know that you are very intelligent . I know that you have very good judgment . I know that you a expert and a master of audio technology . You know a million times more about audio technology than I know .

But I am surprised that you would form any opinion on any subject without doing your research to have all of the information on that subject before forming your opinion .

Maybe you could discuss this technology with your people again , just to find out all of the information on the subject so that you will know if this new technology is as good as it appears to me .

One thing that I know for sure is that I very much admire and respect Schiit Audio and all of the people who work at Schiit Audio . I am saving my money and I will be buying a Yggdrasil GS2 as soon as I can . Then I will buy your new Aegir 2 power amps , after that I hope to buy your Urd transport . My new system will be made up with your fantastic audio equipment .
Thank you for your time and consideration . oldhippie
Just a heads up, when you mention a proprietary technology feature, you gotta remember that Jason and Schiit in general hate proprietary standards. Think Pentaconn versus XLR, flac vs mqa, etc. even if the LEEDH was amazing, I think Jason wouldn’t do it bc you’re creating another cost and you then have products more at the whim of a company’s proprietary tech. Just seems antithetical to Schiit tbh

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #134,313 of 150,255
USB C to A adapter

This can be useful for Urd owners using USB-c cables and occasional use of Apple devices with lightning connectors.

Tested this C to A USB adapter to connect a USB c plug to an Apple ‘camera’ adapter. It works fine.

Available here - LINK

IMG_9133.jpeg

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #134,314 of 150,255
Just a heads up, when you mention a proprietary technology feature, you gotta remember that Jason and Schiit in general hate proprietary standards. Think Pentaconn versus XLR, flac vs mqa, etc. even if the LEEDH was amazing, I think Jason wouldn’t do it bc you’re creating another cost and you then have products more at the whim of a company’s proprietary tech. Just seems antithetical to Schiit tbh

Let Schiit do the Schiit way !!

Dec 28, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #134,315 of 150,255
I think Jason is actually warming up a bit to Pentacon, but I think mini-XLR is a good option for size-constrained products.

I also agree re:LEEDH. While it may truly be a huge advancement (I'm not qualified to say), licensing is not something that I see being embraced by Schiit, IMHO. With the experience and skins on the wall at Schiit, I think they could produce something similar or better if they so desired.

The Megacombo Burrito filter was a huge achievement and a testament to the fact that little is outside of Mike's and Schiit's ability if they choose to pursue something complex. I believe Singularity and the device formerly known as 'The Gadget' will also showcase their intellectual prowess. 😉

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #134,316 of 150,255
Thank you for r eading my post . First , I must apologize to you because somehow I must have made a mistake when I wrote the email address # 2 that is the link to the professional " white paper " presented at the mathematician conference in Switzerland . My mistake , sorry . If you do go to the link # 1 , that email address is accurate and will take you to the website page that has a simple , easy to understand , explanation and description of their proprietary technology . From that same page , you can then go the page with the " white paper " , that has a very serious explanation of how this technology is completely new and different than all similar previous technology .

Second , if anyone actually does serious research into the proprietary LEEDH Processing digital volume control technology , and they have an understanding of mathematics , they will learn that this really is a significant breakthrough in audiophile technology . This new technology does volume control in a way that has never been done before . It does it much better than it has ever been done before . Much better than any analog technology on digital sources . Analog volume control technology that you sell is the very analog equipment available for analog sources , no doubt about it . But , according to science and mathematicians , it may not be the state of the art for volume control technology for digital sources .

I have great respect for you , I know that you are very intelligent . I know that you have very good judgment . I know that you a expert and a master of audio technology . You know a million times more about audio technology than I know .

But I am surprised that you would form any opinion on any subject without doing your research to have all of the information on that subject before forming your opinion .

Maybe you could discuss this technology with your people again , just to find out all of the information on the subject so that you will know if this new technology is as good as it appears to me .

One thing that I know for sure is that I very much admire and respect Schiit Audio and all of the people who work at Schiit Audio . I am saving my money and I will be buying a Yggdrasil GS2 as soon as I can . Then I will buy your new Aegir 2 power amps , after that I hope to buy your Urd transport . My new system will be made up with your fantastic audio equipment .

You must realize that a digital volume control is a manipulation of the recorded/streamed digital data, no matter how it’s done. I do not want to alter a digital stream before sending it to a quality DAC. One of the features of M. Moffat's DAC's filter is the preservation of the original samples, so I am not interested in changing those prior to conversion. So, not for me, and for many who thrive for great sound quality, no digital volume control.

Schiit Audio offers high quality preamps with precision resistor ladder volume control. So no digital volume control is needed.

If you want one… do it in software altering with that your digital data before sending it to your DAC.

Edit: added M. Moffat filter's sample preservation feature note.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #134,317 of 150,255
Dec 28, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #134,319 of 150,255
Suggestion for 2025: A Jotenhiem 3 with a quieter, smoother sounding HIGH GAIN setting that sounds as good as the current Jotenhiem 2's LOW GAIN setting.

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #134,320 of 150,255
Yes, I just flashed the firmware on the remote for my powered window blinds. Let me say that again: remote for powered window blinds.

The blinds actually don't require a hub for the wireless remote control nor smart app - so I guess the logic must go somewhere. But it does require a gateway for voice integration.
Yeah, it's all kind of silly. There was a Twitter account called Internet of [redacted] (pronounced like Schiit except spelled the OG way) that showed all the stupid things that happen to otherwise normal objects (eg. blinds) that had network connectivity. There's lots more to talk about this, including security vulnerabilities in USB and in connected devices in general, but I'm not sure tinfoil hat talk here will be that interesting ...
I'm surprised that there are power supply issues, good ones are readily available.
It's not so much the quality, but the confusion of what and where to connect. Maybe this is solved with Pi5 because it needs so much more power, but with older Pis, the HAT connector couldn't supply enough power to run some HATs, so you had to connect a beefier power supply to the HAT, and have the HAT power the board. In other cases, the HAT took its own power supply, and you still had to power the Pi board itself from another power supply. It's all very DIY, which doesn't seem to be in Schiit's ethos.

Availability seems to be good these days. Hifiberry seems to be in stock, as are some of the higher-end audiophile HATs.

Dec 28, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #134,321 of 150,255

(1) I agree with the characterization Jason says his resident engineers came up to. It is another digital volume control scheme. This is not a diss, it’s just what it is.
(2) The white paper is short on details - btw, the AES paper is actually here: https://www.living-leedh.com/wp-con...native-approach-to-digital-volume-control.pdf
(3) “Significant breakthrough”, “Serious research”, etc. are examples of appeal to authority fallacy — there is no need to adorn the approach, which (in the authors’ words) trades volume control coefficients precision against information loss minimization.

Intuitively:
- Volume control in the digital domain drops bits (The least significant ones). This is called truncation. Think 0011 becoming 00xx (the last two bits are dropped in this example).
- Premise: If one is to truncate anyway, can we find a nearby value that is close enough to the desired target volume, but minimizes information loss? Paper shows a cute way of doing so. This is the tradeoff They mention. Instead of bringing you from a specific point down to, say -100db, the control may bring you to -100.2db because that’s where the loss was minimal and the distance to target was “good enough”. For illustrative purposes, imagine the task is to drop two bits (least significant, rightmost):

-100.2db -> 001100010010011110100001101101110000
-100.1db -> 001100010010011110100001101101110010
-100.0db -> 001100010010011110100001101101110011

Dropping the two 0s at -100.2causes the least amount of information loss, so the technique will “pin” you there instead of exactly taking you to -100.0db.

I think it’s a cute approach. It may sound better than other digital schemes. It may help implementors skimp on the dithering. It may not matter in your system. Or I may be all wrong And somebody will explain this better. It’s all good.

Left an Easter egg. If you find it, you can avoid putting your teeth near a particularly shiny metal area. And you get a badge next Tuesday.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #134,322 of 150,255

Are you ChatGPT?

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #134,323 of 150,255
Are you ChatGPT?
Does AI recognize itself as AI? Or does that create an infinite regress loop?

This, and more, on Existentialism Thursday! :smiley_cat:

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #134,324 of 150,255
Will ChatGPT++ be able and willing to call BS on itself? 🤔

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #134,325 of 150,255
Thanks for the affordable and innovative audio! I may have mentioned this before, but you've replaced Al Nagler at Televue Optics as the eye-rolll-inducer with my long-suffering but extremely understanding wife (I also have ~3 of Al's products coming my way shortly...).

Selling some product via Amazon Canada would be welcomed, but I don't know what the logistics are around that - minimum stock, etc. Even being able to buy via amazon.ca but still warehoused in the USA would simplify things.

All the best to you, your family, and staff at Schiit in 2024. I'm looking forward to see what surprises appear in the coming year.

Cheers,

- Craig
OMG, what a small, small world! I’ve been following this thread (in its entirety) for almost a year LURKING here. I’ll save all the deets for a proper intro posting and once I’ve earned sufficient privileges, etc. (only just joined literally today).

But… but… THIS. I’m a longtime astronomer/astrophotographer, with a literally true, suitcase of Naglers, Ethos’, Pentaxen, etc…. So my wife has LONG given me THAT lecture. And, now that (within the last 5 months), I’ve acquired mucho Schiit (in order: Sys, Modi, Skoll, and arrived today, a sliver Kara), my wife is like: “why don’t you get back more into your astronomy hobby?”

(PS: the reality that I had to wait 10 years to get my AP130 from Rolando tended to draw some things out beyond her recollection).

Nice to see another fellow Astro-nut here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back