Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #134,191 of 155,110
Maybe it's been covered, (it's difficult to keep up with such a prolific thread,) but I'll ask anyway. I know Schiit has in no uncertain terms rejected any interest in a homegrown streamer. I wonder if there's a DIY path to skinning existing streamers. Make use of a Modi chassis or something else that already has the proper cutouts, and allow DIYers to make a little Schiit-house for their Pi variant or other streamers. It would stack. Maybe use an Asgard case as well. I'm not as up to speed on DIY streaming as I should be so I'm not sure of the form factors and I/O requirements. I'm sure there are many. Maybe pick a specific finish color to differentiate them. Leave punch outs to accommodate the widest variety. Have suitable bulletproof disclaimers on the bottom and inside the case. Would there be interest? Would it be profitable? Would it be a logistical nightmare?

There are folks who have designed 3D printed cases for exactly what you’re talking about and are easily found on the web. If a local library or maker group has a printer, find a design that fits your purpose and you’re good to go. The case designers might even print and ship for a reasonable cost.

Edit: put me in the Mac Mini camp. I’m very happy with mine running Apple Music and Audirvana.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #134,192 of 155,110
That's called Pietus Maximus and already exists, minus the MJ3 parts. I'm sure JS helped tune it along with CEETEE.
Last time I checked, Nitsch only offers a two year warranty—a Schiit upgrade to Asgard would likely hold a 5 year warranty. That alone makes me prefer one from Schiit.

That said, I'm sure the Pietus Maximus is great, I’m not shading the product.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #134,193 of 155,110
I'd personally rather just do a streamer. If we're going to go through the trouble, might as well make it worth making. And no, we are not doing a streamer.

You hit on the low points of this: try to accommodate a wide variety of stuff? Nightmare. And what about the new stuff? And what about stuff that doesn't quite fit? Suddenly all of those are your problems. What about taking something back after it didn't quite fit? Another nightmare. Dealing with people complaining you're selling an overpriced box because you can't sell it for the same price as the LLOURTSHAN-brand direct-from-China Amazon specials selling 5 different color boxes for $5.99? (And no I'm not crapping on them, there's a place for that, **** you Apple for wanting $100 for a fabric watch band that lasts less than a year.) But yeah, more nightmares, not for us.

Best to just get a Mac Mini.

So an April 1st release?

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #134,195 of 155,110
I looked into building a streamer from scratch for myself a little while ago.
The legal and technical BS you have to maneuver just to be able to use each streaming service's APIs and DRM alone is a nightmare that makes me want to pull a van Gogh and cut my ears of. Not to mention that some of the bigger services don't even let you use their APIs at all, tearing a rather sizable hole in your streamer's list of features that people would ask for. I completely understand why no sane person at Schiit would want to touch that nightmare with a ten foot pole, they'd have to find a real masochist willing and/or dumb enough to take on developing a product like that…

So, yeah. Just get a Mac mini.

Or get an iPad wired to your digital pipeline. Automatic audio core control. It just works.

IMG_9129.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #134,198 of 155,110
It was more to coordinate with the Schiit design aesthetic for stacks. I wanted to call it Hus.
Can't speak for your aesthetic sensibilities, but my Mac mini fits right in with the rest of my silver Schiit, white LED and all. You can barely tell that it doesn't "belong."

68874489195__365E3A17-1A82-4DE0-A588-BD562C2EF20E.png

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #134,199 of 155,110
Can't speak for your aesthetic sensibilities, but my Mac mini fits right in with the rest of my silver Schiit, white LED and all. You can barely tell that it doesn't "belong."

68874489195__365E3A17-1A82-4DE0-A588-BD562C2EF20E.png
Great idea

Love the cat pic

My two cats are both with me on my sofa as I’m chillin listening to music on my rig and enjoying a very relaxing glass of Polish vodka.

Dec 27, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #134,203 of 155,110
Jason also told me once that they tried something along those lines in the past and it didn't work at all, so I wouldn't exactly hold my breath…
Well, with that defeatist attitude nothing good will happen. I'm a glass is 1/2 full kind of person. If Schiit sets their mind to it, it will happen. 😏

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #134,205 of 155,110
Well, with that defeatist attitude nothing good will happen. I'm a glass is 1/2 full kind of person. Schiit sets their mind to it, it will happen. 😏
To a pessimist, the glass is always half-empty.
To an optimist, the glass is always half-full.
Personally, I'm a realist; I leave before I end up having to wash all those dirty glasses. 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back