Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #134,176 of 153,743
In a world full of mega dicks doing mega dick things, it's nice to know that is not the kind of behavior in which Schiit partakes. I knew I was handing my money over to some skilled and genuinely nice peeps. 👍

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #134,177 of 153,743
Minor addition to my New Year Schiit wishlist...

A single beautiful aluminium remote combining the Yggy and Freya remotes. (And Urd for those lucky Urd owners.) 😍
We had a conversation with Jason about the topic of (multiple) remotes at the NC meetup. He understood the problem.

Not an easy solution I believe he said.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #134,178 of 153,743
I’d gladly buy an Asgard+ for Jotenheim money or more. N of 1, but I’m *down* to drop like 500 or more for an Asgard with your vision on the discrete layout that takes some from M3. I love the Asgard 3 and would gladly drop coin on an upgrade

That's called Pietus Maximus and already exists, minus the MJ3 parts. I'm sure JS helped tune it along with CEETEE.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #134,179 of 153,743
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #134,180 of 153,743
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #134,181 of 153,743
I mentioned in my recap of thoughts re: Yggy GS2 that Live sounded more Live. Wait til night, turn out the lights, and queue up this remastered album. Be prepared to smile.😏

1000004074.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #134,183 of 153,743
I mentioned in my recap of thoughts re: Yggy GS2 that Live sounded more Live. Wait til night, turn out the lights, and queue up this remastered album. Be prepared to smile.😏

1000004074.jpg
That spent many, many hours on the turntable platter back in college days. Haven’t heard the remaster, but both LP’s are pretty trashed so I probably will at some point.

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #134,185 of 153,743
Maybe it's been covered, (it's difficult to keep up with such a prolific thread,) but I'll ask anyway. I know Schiit has in no uncertain terms rejected any interest in a homegrown streamer. I wonder if there's a DIY path to skinning existing streamers. Make use of a Modi chassis or something else that already has the proper cutouts, and allow DIYers to make a little Schiit-house for their Pi variant or other streamers. It would stack. Maybe use an Asgard case as well. I'm not as up to speed on DIY streaming as I should be so I'm not sure of the form factors and I/O requirements. I'm sure there are many. Maybe pick a specific finish color to differentiate them. Leave punch outs to accommodate the widest variety. Have suitable bulletproof disclaimers on the bottom and inside the case. Would there be interest? Would it be profitable? Would it be a logistical nightmare?

Dec 27, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #134,186 of 153,743

Great album. I'm unsure why it needed a remaster, especially considering that the vast majority of remasters are just EQ'd at the expense of dynamic range (this one included). I'd rather leave the dynamic range intact and EQ myself if it absolutely needs it. The original master definitely doesn't need EQ in this case.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine...enjoy the listen.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #134,187 of 153,743
Maybe it's been covered, (it's difficult to keep up with such a prolific thread,) but I'll ask anyway. I know Schiit has in no uncertain terms rejected any interest in a homegrown streamer. I wonder if there's a DIY path to skinning existing streamers. Make use of a Modi chassis or something else that already has the proper cutouts, and allow DIYers to make a little Schiit-house for their Pi variant or other streamers. It would stack. Maybe use an Asgard case as well. I'm not as up to speed on DIY streaming as I should be so I'm not sure of the form factors and I/O requirements. I'm sure there are many. Maybe pick a specific finish color to differentiate them. Leave punch outs to accommodate the widest variety. Have suitable bulletproof disclaimers on the bottom and inside the case. Would there be interest? Would it be profitable? Would it be a logistical nightmare?
I'd personally rather just do a streamer. If we're going to go through the trouble, might as well make it worth making. And no, we are not doing a streamer.

You hit on the low points of this: try to accommodate a wide variety of stuff? Nightmare. And what about the new stuff? And what about stuff that doesn't quite fit? Suddenly all of those are your problems. What about taking something back after it didn't quite fit? Another nightmare. Dealing with people complaining you're selling an overpriced box because you can't sell it for the same price as the LLOURTSHAN-brand direct-from-China Amazon specials selling 5 different color boxes for $5.99? (And no I'm not crapping on them, there's a place for that, **** you Apple for wanting $100 for a fabric watch band that lasts less than a year.) But yeah, more nightmares, not for us.

Best to just get a Mac Mini.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 27, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #134,188 of 153,743
Great album. I'm unsure why it needed a remaster, especially considering that the vast majority of remasters are just EQ'd at the expense of dynamic range (this one included). I'd rather leave the dynamic range intact and EQ myself if it absolutely needs it. The original master definitely doesn't need EQ in this case.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine...enjoy the listen.
Come on. Don't hold back. How do you really feel about it? 😄

I personally prefer the MFSL LP, or MFSL CD, however. I do not find this version too agregious and was recommended just for the fun factor. There are far better selections for Critical listening. 😏

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #134,189 of 153,743
I'd personally rather just do a streamer. If we're going to go through the trouble, might as well make it worth making. And no, we are not doing a streamer.

You hit on the low points of this: try to accommodate a wide variety of stuff? Nightmare. And what about the new stuff? And what about stuff that doesn't quite fit? Suddenly all of those are your problems. What about taking something back after it didn't quite fit? Another nightmare. Dealing with people complaining you're selling an overpriced box because you can't sell it for the same price as the LLOURTSHAN-brand direct-from-China Amazon specials selling 5 different color boxes for $5.99? (And no I'm not crapping on them, there's a place for that, **** you Apple for wanting $100 for a fabric watch band that lasts less than a year.) But yeah, more nightmares, not for us.

Best to just get a Mac Mini.
I looked into building a streamer from scratch for myself a little while ago.
The legal and technical BS you have to maneuver just to be able to use each streaming service's APIs and DRM alone is a nightmare that makes me want to pull a van Gogh and cut my ears of. Not to mention that some of the bigger services don't even let you use their APIs at all, tearing a rather sizable hole in your streamer's list of features that people would ask for. I completely understand why no sane person at Schiit would want to touch that nightmare with a ten foot pole, they'd have to find a real masochist willing and/or dumb enough to take on developing a product like that…

So, yeah. Just get a Mac mini.

Dec 27, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #134,190 of 153,743
Come on. Don't hold back. How do you really feel about it? 😄

I personally prefer the MFSL LP, or MFSL CD, however. I do not find this version too agregious and was recommended just for the fun factor. There are far better selections for Critical listening. 😏
Yeah, I agree this is not one of the bad cases, I just had to get that out! :p It is a fun listen for the alternate tracks of the deluxe and super deluxe versions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back