Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 26, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #134,056 of 150,704
Probably you do need an ADC. Once upon a time, computers fairly often had a line in on a 3.5 mm stereo jack. I do not know until how recently the various Mac product lines held on to that. It was never really a thing on laptops, as I recall.

Also once upon a time, Schiit made an ADC, called Jil. I wanted one and I still want one, but moreso, I want an ADC with True Multibit or possibly Singularity. But I still have very little money for things I do not need.

The Audient id24 is a recording interface with direct-to-ADC inputs (bypassing the microphone preamps). It would be my top pick at reasonable cost.

I've been using the Audient ID22 (about $120 used) through the mic inputs, along with vinyl studio, with very good results.

Dec 26, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #134,057 of 150,704
I always get crucified for saying this but IMO a DAC like Yggdrasil is not intended to be a source switching device. It's a single-input device with the ability to handle a variety of different input types. If you need source switching, you really need a preamp.

/soapbox
I do of course also have a preamp, but I’m not going to use one DAC for my Roon endpoint and another for the TV. The preamp is for switching mainly between my Yggy and my Mani (and of course for volume adjustment)
It’s only as of this Christmas that I have a unison USB hub, but that still doesn’t take the optical out of my TV.

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #134,058 of 150,704
FYI on my setup the CD transport and optical out from the Park Puffin need a DAC to work otherwise I'd run them thru the Freya+
:relaxed:

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #134,059 of 150,704
While I have liked some double casked bourbon I don’t recall it being smoother. It may make it more complex but you can get better complexity by just aging it longer in one barrel. 5 years aging is better than average but I find 8-12 years optimal. Anything older than 12 starts to pick up more of the charring from the inner barrel and gives it a smokier sensation. Some people think it’s worth the added expense but not me. And if you want smoother bourbon consider wheated ones like Makers Mark or Weller if you can find it.
Our provincial government has its mitts on the sale and distribution of distilled spirits. I'll see what I can get at the LCBO... or as my spouse calls it, LickBo. :flag_ca: :ksc75smile:

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #134,060 of 150,704
FYI on my setup the CD transport and optical out from the Park Puffin need a DAC to work otherwise I'd run them thru the Freya+
What's the benefit for using a ADC then converting back to digital with the DAC? My TT just puts out pure analog goodness via Mani/Skoll. 🤷‍♂️

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #134,061 of 150,704
What's the benefit for using a ADC then converting back to digital with the DAC? My TT just puts out pure analog goodness via Mani/Skoll. 🤷‍♂️
For me the best feature is called Magic. It works great to quiet down old vinyl. I had a Stellar and Puffin. The PS Audio did sound better but I enjoyed listening with the Puffin more. Flipped the Stellar. Can't wait for the tube pre next year.

Dec 26, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #134,063 of 150,704
I do of course also have a preamp, but I’m not going to use one DAC for my Roon endpoint and another for the TV. The preamp is for switching mainly between my Yggy and my Mani (and of course for volume adjustment)
It’s only as of this Christmas that I have a unison USB hub, but that still doesn’t take the optical out of my TV.
Try an optical to coax s/pdif converter.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #134,064 of 150,704
My son has some of your Oregon Spirits on his overflow shelves. I brought him Blanton’s and E.H. Taylor to add to a few choices.IMG_7194.jpeg
Gotta love that X-Files bottle, top shelf, fourth from the left.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #134,066 of 150,704
Yes, digital sources need a DAC. I think you use one DACfor each source then use the analog outs through a preamp switcher. Buy I am old school I guess.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #134,067 of 150,704
That’s exactly what you should do IMO.

Dec 26, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #134,068 of 150,704
I always get crucified for saying this but IMO a DAC like Yggdrasil is not intended to be a source switching device. It's a single-input device with the ability to handle a variety of different input types. If you need source switching, you really need a preamp.

/soapbox

Your sensibilities generally seem well placed, but I cannot wrap my head around this one.....

Lets say I have a streamer/pc for one input, a cd transport for another, and a tv or bluray player for a third input...

Your position is, that I should go buy another device for my chain, that combines those three sources and routes them into one output, that then goes into a single digital input in yggy?

All so that I can ignore the source selection button on my yggy?

Dec 26, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #134,070 of 150,704
I’m a latecommer to bourbon. Is double-casked whiskey, by definition, smoother than **straight**? And more expensive (due to the extra processing )…? Attached image.
No, not necessarily to either of those. Double casking refers to a primary maturation followed usually by a shorter finishing in a different kind of cask to pull out different flavor characteristics. This doesn't have to equate to more expense though it does add work to the blender's process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back