Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 15, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #133,006 of 150,081
On delivery services...

My last Schiit Audio order was made last Tue evening and I chose USPS Priority Mail (3 day). Schiit shipped Wed morning.

The order has been sitting in USPS docks since Wed. It went from Corpus Christi, to Austin to Dallas. It left Dallas today (Friday afternoon). 3 days are gone, so much for USPS Priority delivery. Hopefully it will be delivered a couple of States West on Monday.
Two years ago, I sent a box of satsuma oranges to my friend @Paladin79 in Indiana from Dixie, Georgia, mailed on 12/7. He received it [unusable of course] on 12/26. Now, USPS is pushing for rate increases, and they wonder why many shippers are utilizing private firms.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #133,007 of 150,081
Hey, a big Schiit sale! Sweet! I got the Magni+, Modi+ and Loki Mini+ over the holidays last year. Now that they're blowing out the Magni+ Heretic I've ordered one of those (in silver, why not, my others are black so it'll be visually distinct!). The new Magni Unity looks really cool, too, and if I didn't have my Schiit stack already it'd be a no-brainer to get the Magni Unity with on-board DAC. But, I love with my Magni+ already and always wanted to try the Heretic to see how I personally feel they "stack up." This seemed like the right time to take that plunge.

Dec 15, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #133,008 of 150,081
Inquiring minds ask why 2 headphone amps next to each other? Two people listening at the same time?
Oh, it's actually much, much worse than that.
They're just sitting there, not even connected to anything. 😁
The top one is "my own" Mjolnir that I bought new. It gets rotated onto my desk every once in a while when I'm in the mood for its particular flavor. (Like today, for example, hence this morning's post.)
The bottom one is the spare that I bought from @FLTWS.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #133,009 of 150,081
The top one is "my own" Mjolnir that I bought new. The bottom one is used with tubes inserted using my patented "crunch" method that I bought from @FLTWS.
FTFY😂 Refer to this Post for a tutorial

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #133,010 of 150,081
Indeed! I rock an 8" AC Infinity fan system with a filter and exhaust ducts to vent the excess heat and fumes from my shop.
AC Infinity makes some nice products, did some nice temp sensor controlled flush cabinet fans. Watch out though, as they have expanded into ventilation for canibis grows so some of the box graphics may be, a little graphic with green leaf. That got a side-glance from my home builder. Hahahaha.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #133,011 of 150,081
OK I was told to post my question here as I posted it to both the Facebook "Schiit Heads" group and the "r/Schiit" subreddit and could not get a definitive answer. I have a Schiit Freya N running in passive mode RCA in(single ended) with two Aegirs run mono XLR out from the Freya N. This setup works and sounds great but it shouldn't according to the wording on the Schiit website. Quote from the Freya FAQ:

"So I can run this fully passive, no gain stage at all?

Yes, no problem at all. Just don’t expect it to convert single-ended to balanced or anything like that. It is, after all, passive."

The question is, how is my setup working and sounding this good if it is not being converted to balanced, as the Aegirs need to run in mono? Second question is, if it is indeed passing a balanced signal to the Aegirs via XLR, is this being done actively or passively?
thank you

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #133,012 of 150,081
OK I was told to post my question here as I posted it to both the Facebook "Schiit Heads" group and the "r/Schiit" subreddit and could not get a definitive answer. I have a Schiit Freya N running in passive mode RCA in(single ended) with two Aegirs run mono XLR out from the Freya N. This setup works and sounds great but it shouldn't according to the wording on the Schiit website. Quote from the Freya FAQ:

Yes, no problem at all. Just don’t expect it to convert single-ended to balanced or anything like that. It is, after all, passive."

The question is, how is my setup working and sounding this good if it is not being converted to balanced, as the Aegirs need to run in mono? Second question is, if it is indeed passing a balanced signal to the Aegirs via XLR, is this being done actively or passively?
thank you
It will work, but you are only driving on side of each Aegir....

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #133,013 of 150,081
The top one is "my own" Mjolnir that I bought new. It gets rotated onto my desk every once in a while when I'm in the mood for its particular flavor. (Like today, for example, hence this morning's post.)
The bottom one is the spare that I bought from @FLTWS.
I skipped out on the Mjolnir 2 as I went from Asgard 2 and Mjolnir 1 to looking at Lyr2 and Jotunheim 1. Then laid off buying HP amps for a long while until the Mjolnir 3 in silver tempted me back

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #133,014 of 150,081
IMG_2860.gif

I skipped out on the Mjolnir 2 as I went from Asgard 2 and Mjolnir 1 to looking at Lyr2 and Jotunheim 1. Then laid off buying HP amps for a long while until the Mjolnir 3 in silver tempted me back

Dec 15, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #133,015 of 150,081

thank you
It will work, but you are only driving on side of each Aegir....
I think that's correct, you would only be driving one side of each Aegir.

I've never actually tried that, so I can't be sure. But theoretically, doing so should mean that your speaker membranes would only see half the amplitude, plus be biased towards either the positive or the negative side of the swing instead of neutral, because the one side is not "pulling" while the other is "pushing" (and vice versa)…

Right…? 🤔

It's been a long day of debugging other peoples' abomination of code plus hours of navigating a whole bunch of a standards body's bureaucratic clusterf#@k for me, so my brain's on the verge of being completely fried. Means that there's a good chance I'm either overthinking this or that I'm on the wrong track altogether.
But if I'm not, this sounds to me like this could be a bit unhealthy for the speakers, especially if driven to a somewhat higher volume. At a minimum, driving the membranes this lopsided should result in a bit of distortion.

But then again: Fried brain, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #133,016 of 150,081

thank you
Wait a second. You have a Freya N and don't engage the tubes 99% of the time?

7E8C37C1-1AA8-4C4B-AF47-C0B46415509B.gif

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #133,017 of 150,081

I've never actually tried that, so I can't be sure. But theoretically, doing so should mean that your speaker membranes would only see half the amplitude, plus be biased towards either the positive or the negative side of the swing instead of neutral, because the one side is not "pulling" while the other is "pushing" (and vice versa)…

Right…? 🤔

That was my first thought, too. In other words, cause a DC bias and those are really, really bad for speakers.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #133,019 of 150,081
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #133,020 of 150,081

Right…? 🤔
ing
It's been a long day of debugging other peoples' abomination of code plus hours of navigating a whole bunch of a standards body's bureaucratic clusterf#@k for me, so my brain's on the verge of being completely fried. Means that there's a good chance I'm either overthinking this or that I'm on the wrong track altogether.
But if I'm not, this sounds to me like this could be a bit unhealthy for the speakers, especially if driven to a somewhat higher volume. At a minimum, driving the membranes this lopsided should result in a bit of distortion.

But then again: Fried brain, so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Depending on recording, I'll often run my Freya S in passive, driving Vidar Monos fed by Yggy GS. When I switch over to listening to video via single ended input, I've forgotten to switch to active on the Freya. It sounds fine, but going to active sounds much better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back