Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 13, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #132,887 of 150,028
I have AKG 702 and thought they sounded pretty good if a little light in the bass. But they crush my skull with their weight after about 45 minutes. I also wish there were separate grounds but I bought them many years ago when I had no interest in balanced gear.

I’ve been looking at the Senn 58X Jubilee for a minute and am seriously tempted.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #132,888 of 150,028
FYI, a couple years ago I got an estimate to powder coat my silver Yggdrasil case flat black to sit more unobtrusively in my HT rack. If I took the case apart and brought in just the parts needing color, prep labor, masking and powder coat would be about $250. I never did it (because I'm lazy) but it seemed reasonable and doable. If you want colors other than white or black, the cost was a frew dollars more per square foot. So if you want a black piece of Schiit to be orange, it's entirely possible.
Pleased to see you (still) lurking @ depth. Whenever I glance at Blind Man’s Bluff (on my bookshelf), I think of you sir (as a submariner). Sigh 😌, know…. You cannot confirm nor deny your involvement in the USN.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #132,890 of 150,028
I'd like to ask the Schiit experts in this thread for advice about a vexing issue with my Schiit:

I have some sort of weird incompatibility between a new amplifier (Burson Soloist 3X GT) and my Gungnir multibit. Whenever I use the two together there is low-level bass distortion. The issue is not electronic noise like a hum but actual distortion in the music. When notes around 100 hz play the headphone drivers make a low buzzing noise which sounds like they are broken. This distortion is present at the same level with all cables, all RCA outputs / inputs and all gain settings. I really have no idea why this happens but it only happens when Gungnir and Soloist are paired together, the DAC sounds fine with all other amps and vice versa. If anyone has ideas on what the problem might be I'd love to hear them. I did reach out to Schiit customer support but haven't heard back - I can understand they are very busy after Thanksgiving sales.
My instincts tell me to look for ground-loops. Link here to Schiit’s troubleshooting guide wrt buzzing. In my case, I had loose RCA connections that were playing holy hell on my sound.

Re:buzzing headphone sound? I had that incident happen about 2 years ago with my Ether C and newly purchased Magni Heretic. I left the cans plugged, volume at about 10 o’clock position, powered on overnight. I woke up next day to a sickening buzz in one channel and a hot-to-the-touch ‘phone cups. After talking to Dan Clark Audio (where they cc-ed Schiit Audio), my issue was fixed up. To everybody’s satisfaction. I learned a valuable lesson… for phuck’s sakes… turn all volume knobs to zero if I want to leave cans jacked in!!! Meh 🫤, this is a luxurious hobby. I’ve learned to care for my kit.

Dec 13, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #132,891 of 150,028
Pleased to see you (still) lurking @ depth. Whenever I glance at Blind Man’s Bluff (on my bookshelf), I think of you sir (as a submariner). Sigh 😌, know…. You cannot confirm nor deny your involvement in the USN.
I can confirm that I was part of the USS Parche being awarded four of her nine Presidential Unit Citations, I just can't tell you why they were awarded. :)

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:51 PM Post #132,892 of 150,028
I read or heard somewhere years ago that any shipping done/moves across the middle of the United States is all UPS. USPS, FedEx, DHS, etc. doesn't matter. It goes on UPS planes for "traveling". Have no idea if that is true or not.
Weather and road conditions are circumstances beyond the control o' Federal Express, United Parcel, Dalsey-Hillblom-Lynn, U.S. Postal Service, &c. FedEx, UPS, DHL, and U.S.Mail have their several fleets of aircraft as well as their several fleets of trucks and vans.

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #132,893 of 150,028
@Jason Stoddard

Have you considered expanding the open days of the Schittr?

Some of us south of L.A. are occasionally in the Santa Clarita / Newhall area for business, block out meetings intending a mid-day visit, and are left leering in the windows of a dark storefront full of music-making magic. I could really use a better DAC. (And I happen to own a pair of Salk Song3-A, so your 2-channel room, with beautiful Song3 speakers, is coincidentally perfect for comparative Schiit gear listening! And good for anyone due to their flat frequency response, transparency and neutrality!)

I’ve visited before and purchased and will visit again!

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #132,894 of 150,028
...with my Ether C and newly purchased Magni Heretic. I left the cans plugged, volume at about 10 o’clock position, powered on overnight. I woke up next day to a sickening buzz in one channel...
Hmm, interesting, as this is the way I burn in all new electronics that will feed headphones. On some new stuff (e.g. Yggy MiB) I leave it hooked up and running for even a week, 24/7. But I use a cheap pair of headphones.

Noah

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #132,896 of 150,028
Back from a weeklong trip. By coincidence overnighted in Santa Clarita very near to Schiit Audio. At the hotel last night ordered a Lokius. Too bad I couldn’t pick it up from the company this AM. Ships from TX.

Arriving home, turned on audio components and in a very quiet room noticed a faint hum from the Yggy+ OG. Very faint only heard inches from it but noticeable. My mains has no DC. Question for those owning this product - when you turned the Yggy from cold do you notice that? It must be in a quiet room and near it.

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #132,897 of 150,028
Back from a weeklong trip. By coincidence overnighted in Santa Clarita very near to Schiit Audio. At the hotel last night ordered a Lokius. Too bad I couldn’t pick it up from the company this AM. Ships from TX.

Arriving home, turned on audio components and in a very quiet room noticed a faint hum from the Yggy+ OG. Very faint only heard inches from it but noticeable. My mains has no DC. Question for those owning this product - when you turned the Yggy from cold do you notice that? It must be in a quiet room and near it.

Never heard any Schiit transformer hum especially if they're only consuming 45 watts nominal. I notice hum on my SET amp though if I stand 2 inches from it, nature of a large transformer to run that Class A beast.

Dec 13, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #132,898 of 150,028
I own a pair of HD 58x. I bought them because, well, why the heck not.
But I never really liked them, so they got relegated to lab bench duty, acting as the first line of defense against potentially faulty headphone amps. If I blow them up somehow, no harm is done.
That is until @JamminVMI asked me recently how they sounded with the Folkvangr.
And I didn't know, never tried.
So I did.
And you know what? Turns out that these HD 58x can actually sound pretty darn decent.
Fed by a Gungnir MB, through Lokius with a bit of bass boost, Folkvangr with a pair of WE 2C51, in high gain, impedance multiplier off, and the Drop hybrid velour pads?
The result isn't exactly the most detailed or accurate sound you'll ever hear. But for rock or pop, it's a veritable Schiit-ton of fun!
Currently at my desk, listening to Dua Lipa's album Future Nostalgia, and I'm having a hard time sitting still.
I've never been a big fan of Sennheiser, although I rocked a pair of HD 595 (I think? Not entirely sure. Same basic shape, but they were a blue-ish green.) for the better part of the aughts. But for the first time ever, I'm actually curious about taking a pair of HD 800 S or 820 for a spin.
Who knew! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Expanding friends’ horizons, that’s me!

Dec 13, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #132,899 of 150,028
People keep asking me for my thoughts on Yggdrasil+ GS2, so here are my thoughts on the Yggy GS2 vs BF2/64 on my rig (speaker setup) with my ears and my music.

VERY initial impressions (after 5 hours of warm-up):

Yggy GS2 is more holographic and definitely has more air around instruments. Soundstage a teeny bit less wide than BF2/64 -- at least for now as it is opening up with time. Yggy GS2 soundstage is definitely deeper front-to-back placing instruments and vocalists in a 3D-like space. Bass seems to have a bit more slam, but it may just be more controlled. Highs are definitely airy and more 'pure' sounding with no trace of etch or harshness. Definitely more texture and timbre such that I could tell that what I previously thought was a metal glockenspiel was actually a vibraphone with wooden tone bars. I know this because I could actually hear the wood 'texture/tonality' underneath the note when struck. Never noticed that before on BF2/64. Live performances just sound more 'live'. I'm hearing deeper into the music and picking out things I never knew was there in tunes I've heard many, many times.

Sure, Yggy GS2 is 2x more expensive than BF2/64. But is it 2x better sounding than BF2/64? Probably not. But it is better -- revealing nuances, air, texture, and details I had not noticed previously. At this stage of the game it's all about subtleties and nuances and how much you value them, I guess. Yggy GS2 is not humiliating BF2/64, it's just a bit better in many areas and all these areas matter to me. It's a lot of little things all adding up to make this a DAC that is worth keeping over the BF2/64 -- at least for me.

** Yggy's role will be as the DAC in my speaker setup, but I'll test it with headphones this weekend.
That mirrors my impression also of the Yggy OG vs my BF2/64.

The sound stage depth, nuanced texture and detail retrieval was well worth the upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back