Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 6, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #132,196 of 155,161
So I have a black MJ3 from the first production run, when black was the only option.

I have been pining for a silver MJ3 since MJ3 was first teased to us back in December 2022.

I have been diligently and politely emailing Schiit to order a silver MJ3 top since the second run was announced in September.

I was hoping that I could have just placed my order, got my name on the list, and wait for the silver cover to ship, whenever that was.

Instead Schiit told me to check back, so I did, a couple of times, and each time Schiit told me to check back again.

I checked back yesterday and got a reply this morning that all of their metal was allotted to current inventory, and that they were sorry for the inconvenience...

Has anyone else had success ordering a silver cover for their MJ3?

To say I am disappointed is quite the understatement.

I feel like the original purchasers of MJ3 ought to have been given a fair chance at an MJ3 of our preference. I cant be the only one who ordered black but would have taken silver had it been available.

I shouldn't have to explore selling my black MJ3 for a loss so I can free up the funds to order a whole new unit in silver.

Sorry for the first world whining.

Carry on.
Cosmetic orders can wait until the rest of us get our MJ3s. 😜

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #132,197 of 155,161
That isn't much consolation...

Any chance of getting a silver cover in B or C stock quality?

I don't like my chances of getting one otherwise...

Priority seems to go to the new orders.

How am I to know when a silver top will be available?

If you keep allocating the silver you do receive to new orders I will continue to be out of luck.

Doesnt seem to be an option for me to pay now and have one shipped to me, once available, whenever that is.

I know MJ3 has been a weird deal with only one run and no black to a 2nd run with some silver, to a maybe recurring product.

In cases like this I wish you guys would send an email out to whomever ordered the first black only batch and see how many people want silver tops... at least then you can take care of them too.

Again I understand the MJ3 deal is a different situation, but it still feels like "gotcha sorry sucka, enjoy the black!"

Edit -

And to add to it, if silver quantity is so low on MJ3, why can I still order a new MJ3 in silver.

Seems like you have silver that hasn't been sold yet?

Do the prior customers who only had the black option not matter anymore?

If you are that low on metal, I could gladly return my black top when a silver replacement arrives, do an exchange.
I can sympathize with your situation, but when you ordered your MJ3 on that first run, I don't believe there was ever a mention of them making them in silver. So people buying the MJ3 in black did so knowing it was black...period. I do hope you can get a silver top though. Things have a funny way of working out sometimes, so hang in there!

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #132,198 of 155,161

If you keep allocating the silver you do receive to new orders I will continue to be out of luck.

Doesnt seem to be an option for me to pay now and have one shipped to me, once available, whenever that is.

I know MJ3 has been a weird deal with only one run and no black to a 2nd run with some silver, to a maybe recurring product.

In cases like this I wish you guys would send an email out to whomever ordered the first black only batch and see how many people want silver tops... at least then you can take care of them too.

Again I understand the MJ3 deal is a different situation, but it still feels like "gotcha sorry sucka, enjoy the black!"

Edit -

And to add to it, if silver quantity is so low on MJ3, why can I still order a new MJ3 in silver.

If you are that low on metal, I could gladly return my black top when a silver replacement arrives, do an exchange.
Talk to them again. Offer the B-stock option and the exchange. I'm sure they can do something, it's just tough if the yield is that low.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #132,200 of 155,161
I feel ya @Rensek and am in the same boat. When they said no way no how we can do a silver MJ3, I felt good about being a launch day customer. Been emailing about silver tops since it was announced and keep getting the "check with us in a couple weeks." I had someone in my office last week listening to the MJ3 amongst a sea of silver Schiit and was asked why I didn't order it in silver and just had to roll my eyes. Will keep trying and hoping for a reasonable resolution. It's an amazing product.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #132,201 of 155,161
Does anyone know how the silver MJ3 dissipates enough heat?

I remember Jason writing about it and that's why it could only be done in black. On the other hand each day I may be getting more and more into the old age mental state of dreaming things up that were never said. I've daydreamed about someone at Schiit spraying a magic black compound to the inside of the silver covers even...... :)

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #132,202 of 155,161
He did say that silver could not dissipate the amount of heat generated, but that may have been BEFORE the new silver tops with deeper grain. The additional texture/grain may have provided just enough additional surface area to make the silver top viable on MJ3.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #132,203 of 155,161
... or perhaps it was just determined that operating at a higher internal temperature was OK, and the thermal shutdown devices were reliable.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #132,204 of 155,161
... or perhaps it was just determined that operating at a higher internal temperature was OK, and the thermal shutdown devices were reliable.
Bingo. It's within margin. I didn't think it would be at first. But who knows? Maybe it is the new grain. Maybe it's the different anodize. Maybe I was (gasp) wrong.

Still gonna want a fan if you like it at 30 degrees C in your house.

Last edited:

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #132,205 of 155,161
Here’s a question for Jason: I know that you’re looking to get rid of op amps anywhere possible— I am interested in seeing whether this extends to the amp section of the dac amps like Fulla E and Hel+? Or are those outliers for your plans? I know I would be interested in what you could do discretely on a Hel product but idk how viable it is or if that would raise the price prohibitively.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #132,206 of 155,161
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #132,207 of 155,161
Here’s a question for Jason: I know that you’re looking to get rid of op amps anywhere possible— I am interested in seeing whether this extends to the amp section of the dac amps like Fulla E and Hel+? Or are those outliers for your plans? I know I would be interested in what you could do discretely on a Hel product but idk how viable it is or if that would raise the price prohibitively.
Not viable in those cases, I'm afraid.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #132,208 of 155,161
@AlPastor and @Rensek. I'm prepared to make a very generous offer. $299 for your black MJ3 🤣🤣🤣😂

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #132,209 of 155,161
Not viable in those cases, I'm afraid.
Totally fair. Now I know what to expect from that range of products. Still love my Hel+ for my desktop setup. Thanks for taking the time to answer that question. It’s one I forgot to ask when I was chatting with you at CanJam. I know Valhalla 3 is likely higher on the list to update from the V2, but I look forward to seeing what you can do for an Asgard+. Since the amp is no longer at 200 or 250, I feel like an update could be in the 3-400 range and I think many wouldn’t bat an eye with the value add you could include. Anyway, just the ramblings of a Schiit fan. Thanks for your time!

Dec 6, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #132,210 of 155,161

Edit -

And to add to it, if silver quantity is so low on MJ3, why can I still order a new MJ3 in silver?

Completely agree with you my friend.

It's easy to go back and dig up all the posts where the silver option was flat out denied as a possibility.

Those of us supporting the first run have had the pleasure of seeing 180-degree pivots on both the limited production and silver tops...and sorry, it leaves a bad taste.

Dont get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the pivots for what it means for Mj3's future.

However, doing the right thing for those of us first-run silver-seekers shouldn't be low-to-zero priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back