Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #132,076 of 150,500
Going six beers deep is actually a spouse-approved method to fix Upgradeitus. Everything indeed sounds good then!
…. six good reasons why you are not ‘sixerfixer’ …. 🙂🤪

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #132,077 of 150,500
Left home a week ago tomorrow for some stressful travel.

Flight back to Austin tonight was 30 mins late, and I got home about 1 am to find my MMB2 waiting so I hooked it up.

So I should be sleeping, but instead I’m sipping a whiskey and listening to this thing.

First impressions compared to Modi 3e (all 2.1 channel stereo, through speakers, using the USB input):

1) It is for sure different. I feel like on the tracks I’m playing, there is a larger soundstage, with more separation/detail.

2) Oh my, my velodyne sub is slapping a bit differently.

3) I feel closer to the “stage.” Music is further out from the speakers, more like sittting on the stage than a few feet in front of it.

4) I got goosebumps from a bit of harmony vocals.

It just feels like there’s more. The fingerpicking on Willie Nelson’s cover of Townes Van Sant’s Marie is :chefskiss:

If this is distortion, I’m a fan. 🤣
Yeah. I don’t regret the MMB2 at all.

Bits may be bits, but whatever the mega combo burrito filter does to the output is really nice. I like analog music and this is the closest I’ve heard digital tonally sound to vinyl, but without the limitations that come from dragging a rock across groves in a polymer disc.

So. Much. Detail.

It just sounds more real…

Dec 4, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #132,079 of 150,500
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #132,080 of 150,500
While I do love many Italian wines (and my heart goes pitter-pat for a good Barolo) I just finished a superb California Tempranillo grown from Spanish root-stock vines that I think gives anything from Europe a run for its money. :)
Names! We need names! My Invintory app demands no less...

Ninja'd! Parador from Napa, for those of you that missed it.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #132,081 of 150,500
I like analog music and this is the closest I’ve heard digital tonally sound to vinyl, but without the limitations that come from dragging a rock across groves in a polymer disc.
You might want to try dragging that rock through the grooves instead, much nicer sound! :sunglasses:

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #132,082 of 150,500
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #132,083 of 150,500

One way to high pass to the main speakers? Well, Ayre makes this available for the VX-5 Twenty and it's common for use with Vandersteen speakers. Input impedance of Ayre VX-5 Twenty is 1M ohms, so the caps are small. This is a 100hz high pass filter on the main amp input board that I can swap out easily. ...
The Ayre YouTube channel has more about this.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #132,084 of 150,500
Soon. In the end of the year chapter.

Don't expect Singularity to start much lower than an Yggdrasil GS2, though. Also don't expect it super soon. Basically, get a GS2.
What he said. GS2 is indeed Spectacular!

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #132,085 of 150,500
I can see how you may be running short of desktop space.

Have you considered risers for your screens and using the space underneath for your Schiit collection?

:beerchug:
JC
I do just that. It’s still crowded.

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #132,086 of 150,500
Modi+ will stay around--great for people who need more inputs, or optical.
Maybe it's time to update the Modi+ FAQ ..

I want a combined DAC/amp! Why didn’t you put an amp in here?
We did. They’re just in different chassis and costs another $109-149. They’re called “Magni” and “Vali.” The latter of which even gives you a tube! Now you have options, instead of a single boring, soon-to-be-obsolete combo box.

Wasn’t there a Modi Multibit as well?
Yes, and there will be again, if the DSP gods are kind. But that assumes no zombies, aliens, or other unexpected apocalypii.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #132,087 of 150,500
Yeah, I upgraded from a Modius to the MM2 and could not believe how much more 'musical' it was!

But does it have PRaT and the Almighty Plankton? 😂 🐈

Dec 5, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #132,088 of 150,500
But does it have PRaT and the Almighty Plankton? 😂 🐈
Or does it make you sport a Squidward button which says it all:
9A8D8A7D-FDF6-445F-80B0-0E7CAA1CAE67.jpeg
? 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #132,089 of 150,500

Impedances fine in any order. Tyrs have -2V sensitivity for rated output, so Lokius & Kara can both easily drive them to max power.

<added>
Under typical operating conditions with medium or high efficiency speakers, Kara output level will be a few 10’s or 100’s of mV peak. Noise floor matters.

yggy -> lokius -> kara if you only desire EQ on digital source(s).

kara ~> lokius -> Tyrs to EQ multiple analog + digital sources, but noise floor may be higher

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-7810#post-17527408
Just saw your update and thank you for that!

So @Jason Stoddard has an opinion - he thinks the EQ should be before the preamp. He answered that for Saga. I wonder why he ignored my question which is in a different pipeline. Balanced Kara/Tyr. It may still apply from an ultimate noise floor perspective.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 2:15 AM Post #132,090 of 150,500
So @Jason Stoddard has an opinion - he thinks the EQ should be before the preamp. He answered that for Saga. I wonder why he ignored my question which is in a different pipeline. Balanced Kara/Tyr. It may still apply from an ultimate noise floor perspective.
Noise floor may be higher, but I can't hear it on my system with Lokius the last link in the chain before the Vidars. I prefer the flexibility that gives me allowing EQ on all sources should I wish to.

Inputs > Freya+ > Syn > Lokius > Vidars & Asgard 3
The Syn also spawns a Sub and Surround channels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back