Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #132,061 of 155,100
It's impossible to choose an amp based on damping factor, lack of feedback, or other factors, unless you really understand, in engineering terms, the tradeoffs associated with the design of audio power amplifiers. And even then maybe not. Because systems are different, preferences are different, etc.
Well, so far... the ones staying put under this roof are all low feedback. I'm living it, loving it, and I guess not knowing the engineering explanation for why I like it is moot, for me. I agree with you about preferences... I'm measuring with my ears. As for me, I'll take my chances with a low feedback amp hooked up to open baffle speakers with drivers that already have damping (by design).

Wait a minute... hmmm, are you setting the stage for Aegir to have Damping Factor of 1000? Of course not... and there's also a reason for that. I understand my perspective is completely biased on this topic.

The "Smart Money System" is this: Main speakers high passed and run with a low feedback amp. Blend in subs that you can tune for the room acoustics. No need for a main amp to control the low end (damping factor)... let it get happy, happy, happy with the easy stuff. Let a sub amp do the grunt work. Result: Full Range sound with low end tuned to accommodate the room... something most people can't do with a compromised setup based on where their "Full Range" speakers have to be placed, with "approval".

One way to high pass to the main speakers? Well, Ayre makes this available for the VX-5 Twenty and it's common for use with Vandersteen speakers. Input impedance of Ayre VX-5 Twenty is 1M ohms, so the caps are small. This is a 100hz high pass filter on the main amp input board that I can swap out easily. Second set of outputs from the preamp go to dual subs for the grunt work. You like "modularity"... perhaps this is something to consider as a feature for a low power amp like the Aegir "3" via removable board... Unless you've already thought of it.

IMG_6441.jpeg
IMG_6442.jpeg

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #132,062 of 155,100
Of course, precautions are taken when performing the 'screw driver test'. ...

1701734841578.png

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #132,064 of 155,100
Quick and easy question: If I add the Multibit DAC card to my Asgard 3, can I still pipe music from my external DAC through it via its standard inputs?

My thinking is, when I eventually send in my not-quite-yet-mine Gumby for the Unison USB upgrade, I might as well upgrade the Asgard at the same time. Later in 2024, if it's still available. I'll order a Mjolnir 3 and I can then move the Asgard into my office for daily use and use it as a portable-ish all-in-one for when I travel, etc.

<edit: Why does apple think that when I type "its", I mean "it's"???>
Completely agree... Bloody spell checkers !!!

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #132,065 of 155,100
I wonder if the Aegir2 will have a bit more power. Not that my single Aegir has ever broken a sweat driving my Forte's (gen1).

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #132,067 of 155,100
I know. Pouring an alcoholic beverage into a piece of electronics seems like a more realistic test given some of the folks here! (Myself included). 😄

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #132,068 of 155,100
Crank it up, short the outputs with a screwdriver while running. Sparky sparky. clicky clicky. Repeat 10x or so. No smoke = good to go.

Bonus: if you're doing it with music, you may get to hear the transistors sing briefly before everything shuts down. As in, the music will come out of the amplifier chassis, caused by rapid thermal expansion and contraction of the output transistors, emitter resistors, etc. It's a brutal test.
Schiit just lost the ability to later claim: "No transistors were harmed in the development of this product" :laughing:

Dec 4, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #132,069 of 155,100
I'm more worried about the employees than the transistors. The Screw Driver Test Department probably has the highest turnover and insurance rates. 😄

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #132,070 of 155,100
Well, so far... the ones staying put under this roof are all low feedback. I'm living it, loving it, and I guess not knowing the engineering explanation for why I like it is moot, for me. I agree with you about preferences... I'm measuring with my ears. As for me, I'll take my chances with a low feedback amp hooked up to open baffle speakers with drivers that already have damping (by design).

Wait a minute... hmmm, are you setting the stage for Aegir to have Damping Factor of 1000? Of course not... and there's also a reason for that. I understand my perspective is completely biased on this topic.

The "Smart Money System" is this: Main speakers high passed and run with a low feedback amp. Blend in subs that you can tune for the room acoustics. No need for a main amp to control the low end (damping factor)... let it get happy, happy, happy with the easy stuff. Let a sub amp do the grunt work. Result: Full Range sound with low end tuned to accommodate the room... something most people can't do with a compromised setup based on where their "Full Range" speakers have to be placed, with "approval".

One way to high pass to the main speakers? Well, Ayre makes this available for the VX-5 Twenty and it's common for use with Vandersteen speakers. Input impedance of Ayre VX-5 Twenty is 1M ohms, so the caps are small. This is a 100hz high pass filter on the main amp input board that I can swap out easily. Second set of outputs from the preamp go to dual subs for the grunt work. You like "modularity"... perhaps this is something to consider as a feature for a low power amp like the Aegir "3" via removable board... Unless you've already thought of it.
All I can tell you is that my old Kenwood M2A had a damping factor of 1000 and my Aegir sounds way better (all be it, less power). The Vidar 1 actually sounded really similar to the old Kenwood.

Dec 4, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #132,071 of 155,100
my array of Schiit has happened. Dave Holland on bass starts off out of the box. wow. MJ3 as preamp to speakers.
How would you compare the MJ3 to the Freya+? I've been seriously looking at the MJ3 as a preamp. I currently use my Lyr 3 that way.

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #132,072 of 155,100
How would you compare the MJ3 to the Freya+? I've been seriously looking at the MJ3 as a preamp. I currently use my Lyr 3 that way.
I'd considered buying the MJ3 as a Preamp for my speaker amp, but...decided the Freya+ had a few useful features. Bought the Freya+ and it is very enjoyable. After just a few hours with the MJ3...it is evident the MJ3 would have been a fine choice for me as an only preamp. I'll keep both for the differences and the overlaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back