Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 29, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #131,506 of 150,081
Following on ... the last (and only) time I had a tube go, the channel went completely silent. This time, it's still audible.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #131,507 of 150,081
I would switch the tubes, left to right and right to left. If it is still the left channel that is weaker it is probably not the tube.
If the problem moves to the other channel, I guess the tube could be the cause..

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #131,508 of 150,081
Having recently waxed lyrical about my MJOLNIR 2 and the long-life tubes I use ... today, the left channel appears much quieter when compared to the right. Before I start playing around with the tubes, would any more knowledgable person say that this is probably an indication that the left-hand tube is probably defunct ? ... rather than any other problem ?
Probably. Swap the left and right channel tubes to see if the problem follows. If it does, you can assume that it's the tube. (I'm assuming that there is at least one physical tube per channel.)

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #131,509 of 150,081
re: mj3, urd, or Yggy GS?

a) urd doesn’t serve for me because I want my transport to output DVD (for opera, ballet), though I understand well why Schiit doesn’t want to go there.

b) for Yggy I want MIB or maybe LIM (though I think gumby is close to LIM).
The Yggy A2 (or og , updated with unison) is great, but one really needs to use it balanced out in my experience. One can solve that with Lokius, but that adds a few $. And I want the + case.
My experience with MIB so far (more later) is that se out is fine. Hence the Yggy GS versions would not be for me.

c) MJ3 is fantastic. @Kristofa and others, you’ll be amazed at what it brings. More detail, richer timbre, etc. (Well, as always, if you like what you have don’t get caught up in nervousa, or you will have a closet full of schiit.)

My 5 cents
Noah

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #131,510 of 150,081
Send a PM to @Paladin79 , he is a coaster expert, and may be able to help you.
I think I built seven or eight but lost count lol. I never did mount one inside a scotch bottle, one day perhaps. :ksc75smile:

Nov 29, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #131,511 of 150,081
re Yggy MIB, Vali 2, Sennheisser HD 650...this is going to be a weird combination.

About MIB: patience. Repeat: patience! From Yggy A2 I know it takes a while--as in 2 weeks-- for this to burn in. So when MIB arrives, I stuff it in a corner, get a hp amp and headphones out of the closet, hook it up to a computer running a burn-in cycle of music from Gregorian chant to Bartok and Stravinsky, and let it run 24/7. Occasionally I stop by, put on the headphones, a listen a bit. The first week I promptly take them off--meh. Not entirely fair to MIB, because if it were my favorite hp amp and headphones, they would not be in the closet. Ten days in, “Ah, this is becoming something I want to listen to.” The MIB is going to be good!

(The hp amp I have been using has balanced input, so I have been using the balanced output of MIB)

While the burn-in has progressed, I have been listening a fair amount to the humble vali 2 and mumby 2. So “what the heck” let’s plug the vali 2 into the se output of the MIB.

And it sounds good! This is to listen to! (It will be a few more days before I put it in the chain of my ‘big rig’. By then I’ll be off to my remote location, so I won’t have a real report on MIB until sometime in January.)

nb re MIB: The se outputs of the MIB are good, I suspect the equal of balanced out.
Too early to be sure, but this is a major simplification in set-up. Don’t have to have Lokius in the chain to get full advantage.

nb re vali 2: (actually vali 2+, but for both). One of the great things about Vali 2 is that it gives you a chance to hear what a difference different tubes make. If you get a vali 2 you owe it to yourself to spend an extra $50-60 and get a

socket saver/extender,
perhaps an adapter, eg, 6SN7 to 6922
at least one other tube, e.g. a tung sol 6SN7, or 6CG7 ( no adapter needed)
other recommendations have been posted

You need not go down the rabbit hole of buying a dozen heirloom NOS tubes, like @bcowen. But if you do, he can give you great advice. I have the tong sol 6SN7, and an rca 6CG7 of some vintage.(That is NOS,]@Bowen likely knows more about it than I do.) To my ears, these tubes transform the vali 2 from something nice to something very special.

Headphones? I don’t go into the $2k+ options, but I do have a couple of $1.6k options. Then comes an array of $1k or less down to budget. (Koss porta-pro, anyone?) What I actually listen to most is
Senn HD 600/650. Those need a good hp-amp.
They also benefit from e.g. Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin ear pads. (Tyl H first put me on to those, years back.) As with the Vali 2, to my ears this transforms the Senn 6yys into something special. As with the vali 2 tubes, there have been other recommendations on Senn ear pads--it’s worth exploring.

Enuf, hope this helps.

My nickel, of course YMMV
Noah

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #131,512 of 150,081
Having recently waxed lyrical about my MJOLNIR 2 and the long-life tubes I use ... today, the left channel appears much quieter when compared to the right. Before I start playing around with the tubes, would any more knowledgable person say that this is probably an indication that the left-hand tube is probably defunct ? ... rather than any other problem ?
I’m no expert, but that’d be the first place I’d look…

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #131,515 of 150,081
Nov 29, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #131,516 of 150,081
Swap left and right tubes and see if the problem follows the tube.

Nov 29, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #131,517 of 150,081
I know I will be crucified for this. It's a beautiful picture but ...
You should straighten it to make it 100% satisfying.

Like this?

IMG_3988_2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #131,520 of 150,081
Just a guess, when the channel went silent, was it a new/reissue tube? And now, is it NOS tubes?
The first tubes were Siemens EC88 and the current ones are GE 5670 ... both pairs NOS. I've had the GE for a fair amount of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back