Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 23, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #131,041 of 152,775
Random thought: Is it just me or is The La's 'There She Goes' a really fun track? It always brings a smile to my face and gets my toe tapping.

Yeah, great song. I also love the cover that Sixpence None The Richer did. And the fact they were a lily-white Christian band makes that little fun-fact about the song actually being about heroin addiction just a bit darkly humorous. :sweat_smile:

Brings to mind the late, great Bill Hicks.

“The Beatles were so high, they let Ringo sing a few tunes.” Hahahaha

Tool used parts of that great comedy bit in their song Third Eye.

Now these are two very different songs that are both equally great in their own unique ways. And this is why I love ALL great music!!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #131,042 of 152,775
All digital audio uses a "very steep low pass filter." It has to.
To expand on this, all digital signal reconstruction needs a low pass filter (LPF) below Nyquist (half the sampling frequency) that basically takes the images (replicas of the baseband signal at integer multiples of the sampling frequency) to below the noise floor before Nyquist: we're basically discussing whether it's done in the digital or analog domain.

An oversampler/upsampler (they're the same thing) has to implement the LPF digitally before it does the upsampling, otherwise you'll get aliasing when the upsampling is done. With enough compute power, this is easier and cleaner to implement digitally: so every good oversampling filter must have a steep brickwall LPF right above 20kHz for 44.1 kHz sampling. When this is done, the analog filter can be simpler since the first digital images now start at whatever the multiple of the oversampling was: eg. 352.8 kHz for an 8x oversampler, so you have a huge empty space between 20kHz and 352.8-20kHz (the images mirror themselves around the sampling rate multiples) to let your analog filter do its work, and it can be simpler.

NOS DACs that rely only on analog filtering either have really complicated analog filters with their attendant artifacts or let images leak through. The latter is not necessarily bad unless your downstream equipment reacts badly to strong high frequency signals. SACDs and some delta-sigma converters which noise-shape noise above 20kHz would cause some amps to oscillate and shutdown or worse: there was a British hi-fi magazine that would demonstrate this on a regular basis. The first public Sony demos of SACD at CES had to switch from Mark Levinson amps to Pass Labs amps because the ML amps were going crazy from all the noise up there.

Things with negative feedback that don't have much open loop gain at those high frequencies (>20kHz) can also have audible artifacts caused by IMD modulating the supra aural signals down below 20khz, which is an interesting demonstration of how things outside the audible band can actually affect things in it.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #131,047 of 152,775
To expand on this, all digital signal reconstruction needs a low pass filter (LPF) below Nyquist (half the sampling frequency) that basically takes the images (replicas of the baseband signal at integer multiples of the sampling frequency) to below the noise floor before Nyquist: we're basically discussing whether it's done in the digital or analog domain.

An oversampler/upsampler (they're the same thing) has to implement the LPF digitally before it does the upsampling, otherwise you'll get aliasing when the upsampling is done. With enough compute power...
A LPF before upsampling?!? The data is already Nyquist limited and in digital form... The upsampled needs no LPF to upsample the data. The LPF is on the analog stage after the DtoA reconstruction. Am I wrong?

Nov 23, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #131,055 of 152,775

Too heavy.

Yeah...and the Cable Risers are a bear to set up! :wink:

1700776212807.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back