Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #130,471 of 151,187
@Jason Stoddard, I have a question about the Mjolnir 3's power output when it's in push-pull mode.

In your previous post 'The Most Abused Audio Terms: Class A', you stated that the Mjolnir 3 would output 2W into 32 ohms when it was in single-ended mode, which is what's listed in its power output specs. But you also stated that its power output would increase to 8W into 32 ohms when it was switched into push-pull mode, which is not listed.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-7224#post-17354025

I would just like to confirm if the Mjolnir 3 does in fact output 8W into 32 ohms in P-P mode, or not. And if it does, I'm curious why you didn't post the Mjolnir 3's P-P power output in its specs section?

Thanks.
The specs are correct. My early quote was a miscalculation.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 14, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #130,472 of 151,187
Nov 14, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #130,473 of 151,187
Just because a speaker is rated for 150 watts doesn’t mean you can’t drive them with a 200 Watt amp. I suspect the Tyrs would drive them just fine as long as you don’t crank them up too high. Speaker wattage ratings are often just an estimation. That said I have come across some speakers that definitely had limits of how loud you could go before they misbehave. Well made speakers should be able to handle a couple hundred watts. More power is often safer than less. But that’s just been my experience. As always, tread carefully.
Thanks! Damn, now I have to save for four Tyrs (two for each system)... Well that doesn't help. LOL.

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #130,474 of 151,187
@Jason Stoddard, I have a question about the Mjolnir 3's power output when it's in push-pull mode.

In your previous post 'The Most Abused Audio Terms: Class A', you stated that the Mjolnir 3 would output 2W into 32 ohms when it was in single-ended mode, which is what's listed in its power output specs. But you also stated that its power output would increase to 8W into 32 ohms when it was switched into push-pull mode, which is not listed.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-7224#post-17354025

I would just like to confirm if the Mjolnir 3 does in fact output 8W into 32 ohms in P-P mode, or not. And if it does, I'm curious why you didn't post the Mjolnir 3's P-P power output in its specs section?

Thanks.
I barely notice any difference in volume when switching to push-pull. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #130,476 of 151,187
I barely notice any difference in volume when switching to push-pull. Does anyone else experience the same thing?
I notice no difference at all in volume level between the two modes.

Nov 14, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #130,477 of 151,187
wattage ≠ volume
wattage = headroom
Jason just verified the max output is 2W at 32ohms in either push-pull or SE Class A, so unless I’m confused, wattage is the same in either mode.

I assume the differences exist when not at max output level. At realistic listening levels is where the modes are bound to make a difference. I don’t know enough about amp design to know what those differences are. I find myself preferring push-pull with my planars and SE Class A with my dynamics.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #130,478 of 151,187
...retire the aging PS3 that's served as a CD/Blu-Ray player for almost 20 years.
Ahhh, back when Sony gave a schit and put solid and dependable optical drives in their consoles. My PS5's drive has already crapped out like the rest of them do. 😠

Nov 14, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #130,479 of 151,187
Ahhh, back when Sony gave a schit and put solid and dependable optical drives in their consoles. My PS5's drive has already crapped out like the rest of them do. 😠
And that’s why I’m pleased to see that Urd uses a CD drive, not some pc universal mech. I’ve a few CD players, none of the under 20 years old (the oldest is an ancient Marantz CD94 from 1987ish), and they all still work perfectly. I’m on my fourth Blu-Ray player in 11 years…🙄

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #130,481 of 151,187
Nov 14, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #130,482 of 151,187
wattage ≠ volume
wattage = headroom
And doubling the power gives a 3db increase in SPL, so all other system components being the same, a 200 watt amp will give you +3db increase over a 100 watt amp and a monster 400 watt amp is +6db over that 100 watt amp. Hmmm, I like efficient speakers and an Aegir.

Nov 14, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #130,483 of 151,187
Hey guys, I just made a new thread asking this question in computer audio, but since there' more traffic over here and it's Schiit related, I figured I repost and see if anyone else has run into this issue and solved it.

Alright, I'm trying to make a rig for my wife's specific situation. She just bought a nice set of headphones at CanJam, her first really nice set. She works from home full time and has her work laptop hooked up to a big 3 monitor setup working on mortgages. She takes calls from clients sporadically throughout the day. She currently has a crummy headset through a very nice Schiit Hel. She can't install any software on her work computer, or hook it to our home network for client privacy reasons. We have a NAS with thousands of CDs ripped to FLAC that we listen to throughout the house. I need a solution for 2 audio inputs into one set of headphones, with the ability to take calls.

So something like this;
Work laptop ------------------------------------->\
\
-----> "Product X" -------->ZMF's with mic
/
NAS----->Phone/home laptop/music source -->/

Is there a good "Product X" out there? Usb hub maybe?

Mic only needs to talk to work laptop, but I need music to be able to pump into the ZMFs. My best thought is using the Schiit Syn that has a built in DAC and microphone, for her work computer, then putting a modius or Bifrost under it with a streaming source connected to the RCA input of the Syn. Then listen to the music on one input, then when there is a visual cue on the monitor that a call is incoming, switch the input back to the internal dac. I think that will work, but I feel like maybe there's a cheaper solution considering I already have a Hel in place.

Has anyone working from home or gaming had to solve this problem before?

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #130,484 of 151,187
You could certainly be forgiven for thinking that its not possible for headphones to give the impression of imaging and depth ( soundstage ) BUT your ears and brain work rather well at doing just that !( Its probably a similar mechanism to your pair of eyes giving depth perception ) with some good in ear monitors ( properly positioned ) and a good headphone amp it can be quite startling , with traditional headphones the effect is not unlike well positioned stereo speakers . I have found that many Spatial Audio recordings can be pretty good through a pair of speakers but sound downright odd through headphones , again its one of those weird auditory phenomena .

Where speakers do have the edge is in body resonances - ie getting your chest cavity to resonate at ultra low frequencies - now that would require one heck of a pair of Headphones :L3000::L3000:

Its a fascinating subject
I would agree that you get a spatial sense to the music with phones with height and width but I feel that depth is more or less missing. And I agree that the resonances are also a really important part of music for me.

Nov 14, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #130,485 of 151,187
Just listened to K.Flay's new album and, um....... HOLY SCHIIT!!

I guess she didn't get the memo that rap-rock is dead, and thank God for that!! :sweat_smile:

'Punisher' just might be the heaviest track of 2023, and the fact that it came from a woman just makes it that much more awesome!! :L3000:

Thanks for the rec, AP. :metal:

Listened to this today, and the production quality is outstanding--It positively shines on my Yggy OG/FV/Utopia chain. But I don't understand calling "Punisher" the heaviest track of 2023. Unless I happen to be on a Jazz kick, it's lighter than nearly everything I listen to on a daily basis. Like for example, the new Bad Wolves album that immediately preceded it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back