Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 12, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #130,366 of 150,651
:laughing:

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #130,368 of 150,651
If anyone is at CanJam Dallas right now, can you tell me which grados they have at the Schiit booth? I know the hemps were there but there was another pair with a dark reddish wood that sounded fantastic and I’d love to know which that was.

I have a full weekend pass but I can’t come today otherwise I’d check myself (too much writing to do for work)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #130,369 of 150,651
One of the problems with this thread is finding out about rhings that you never knew you needed
One of the joys with this thread is finding out about things you never knew you needed. :smiley_cat:

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #130,370 of 150,651
You are looking for a dbx 128. They were made in the 1970's. Still available on eBay, etc.
Also, the Pioneer RG-1. and it had great VU meters! I had one back in the 70's - with expansion set to 9db or higher, it "breathed" like an old dog...

Pioneer_RG-1.jpg

Nov 12, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #130,371 of 150,651
Nov 12, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #130,372 of 150,651
Not sure what to make of this but I'll pass it on. Reissued on vinyl no less. It's early Sunday morning here, frost on the ground and dead quiet inside and outside. Maybe the CD version for me?

https://www.washingtonian.com/2023/...merican-frogs/?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-us
Speaking of Smithsonian Folkways releases: I just got the wonderful collection Playing for the Man at the Door in its CD edition so that I would get the book that comes with it on this history of the collection.

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #130,374 of 150,651
Nov 12, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #130,375 of 150,651
I wonder if they have a "Croak Along" version so you can croak with them?

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #130,376 of 150,651
Alright, this is gonna sound stupid... However, I read reports that some people were using the Tyrs with ribbon headphones without any impedance adapters. We're talking about insanely low ohms here. If true, I believe this would just attest to Schiit's amazing overengineering skills. My question would be whether people think the new Mjolnir 3 would be capable of similar astonishing feats. The technology seems somewhat similar to the Tyrs. I'd love to have a great amp that could run ribbons as well as regular headphones. Thoughts?
For ribbon headphones with a few (1-5) ohms impedance or so, try Jotunheim A or Jotunheim R (neither is currently in production, but there are a few units in B-stock).

(Added). MJ3 might also work. If not a great match with your ribbons, MJ3 should have decent resale value being a limited production item.
IIRC @ArmchairPhilosopher has both sn MJ3 and some low-Z ribbon headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #130,377 of 150,651
Hey all - speaker amp question. I built some speakers (CSS Audio 1TDX with 87db efficiency). Shopping for amp(s). I just got a Bifrost 2/64 and a Jotenheim 2 and headphones are sounding amazing in the setup. I'm also using the Jot as a preamp for the new speakers. Not a near field or desktop setup - it's a basement multipurpose room (Bifrost hooked up to TV via optical). I tried a cheap Chinese class D amp and it sounded absolutely horrendous and it's on it's way back to Amazon. So with the relatively inefficient speakers I'm looking at one Vidar (preferrable to the wallet) or two Vidars (which may be preferrable sonically). Any advice?

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #130,378 of 150,651
Hey all - speaker amp question. I built some speakers (CSS Audio 1TDX with 87db efficiency). Shopping for amp(s). I just got a Bifrost 2/64 and a Jotenheim 2 and headphones are sounding amazing in the setup. I'm also using the Jot as a preamp for the new speakers. Not a near field or desktop setup - it's a basement multipurpose room (Bifrost hooked up to TV via optical). I tried a cheap Chinese class D amp and it sounded absolutely horrendous and it's on it's way back to Amazon. So with the relatively inefficient speakers I'm looking at one Vidar (preferrable to the wallet) or two Vidars (which may be preferrable sonically). Any advice?

1 stereo Vidar 2.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #130,379 of 150,651
I’d get a single Vidar to begin with, see how you like it and if you feel you need more, you can get a second one. I use two vidars in one of my setups and I like them in mono, but one in stereo is very good too.

Nov 12, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #130,380 of 150,651
I'm confident that that's not the case. The sudden microphony was accompanied with ringing when no audio was playing and much more distortion than normal when music was playing. Previously, I had listened to audio while bustling around the stack, moving books, etc, and no sound was carried back to the headphones.

The only change I made recently (as in the last 3 days) was adding some Socket Savers from Tube Depot, but I can't see how they could play a role in this. I'm thinking I should maybe pull the SS's out of the amp.

(edited to fix a typo)
Don't think, just pull. A 20 seconds action instead of asking the rest of the world.
Pull the SS, see what happens and THEN write your story so we can learn from it.
It's not that difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back