Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #130,036 of 152,850
I agree with you.

And before I read the latest chapter, I would guess the performance difference between the two TI DACs in the MIL and MIB should be inaudible.
Based on noise floor, sure. There are other reasons why it will be different.

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #130,037 of 152,850
I have a question about accessories, and whether they are changed to try and keep the prices flat/not raise prices.

I bought a Schiit Fulla E in April of 2022. They included a pretty sweet looking 1/4inch headphone adapter for headphones with 3.5mm terminations.

Fast forward to now: I bought a Hel+, and the 1/4inch headphone adapter is now much different looking and is from monoprice. I will attach a photo of the two, with the new one in a little bag.

Note: I am not complaining about quality or anything of the sort. Instead I simply want to know if this change was made to keep the Hel+ price at 199.99–I assume the newer adapter is cheaper for Schiit. Again, as long as it works, I don’t feel negatively about the change.

IMG_2884.jpeg

Nov 5, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #130,038 of 152,850
Nov 5, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #130,039 of 152,850
Well, ok. So many things can cause so many forms of distortion I think I'd go mad trying to determine root cause.

OR, I can just randomly (seemingly) replace equipment and cables and stuff until it sounds right! Yeah, that's the ticket! It's just money, right? My bliss is more important, right?

:wink:
I admit that I probably know more about all this than I realize thru years of dealing with it hands on, but I surely am not an engineer. No where close.

My approach is to approach a sound issue through the physical items I understand and can research to find an answer. But my bottom line has always been, how does it sound? How can I make it sound better? Trial and error and after my wallet is empty, that's as good as it gets for now. I know there are better dacs, amps, wires and headphones than I have now, but I'm going enjoy what I have to the max! YMMV.

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #130,040 of 152,850
...and how many saw the feline gangway on the wall? {{{my spouse is hell bent on having it in our future home}}}.
Well, caught the clock but missed the gangway. Thank you. 19 or 34 years ago (you know you are getting old when you can't remember what decade you read something in. You know you are really getting old when you can't remember what century something happened.) I read or about someone whose house was full of gangways. And ladders, and tunnels through walls. And slide, and...they all paint rich colors.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #130,041 of 152,850
Chloe the cat is really enjoying the latest album by The Long Ryders.
IMG_1183.jpeg

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #130,042 of 152,850
The ones on battleships. I was shocked when I heard the story of the man who died falling into the ship's capacitor...

Can Schiit build us something around one of those?
The capacitors for this puppy are the biggest that I have ever seen. They were in the building next door and power pipes were a meter in diameter. It took many of them to transfer the power.

https://www.pppl.gov/tokamak-fusion-test-reactor

I am sure that the ones at CERN are bigger but I either didn't see them or didn't recognize them because, due to poor planning, my tour was in French.

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #130,043 of 152,850
I have a question about accessories, and whether they are changed to try and keep the prices flat/not raise prices.

I bought a Schiit Fulla E in April of 2022. They included a pretty sweet looking 1/4inch headphone adapter for headphones with 3.5mm terminations.

Fast forward to now: I bought a Hel+, and the 1/4inch headphone adapter is now much different looking and is from monoprice. I will attach a photo of the two, with the new one in a little bag.

Note: I am not complaining about quality or anything of the sort. Instead I simply want to know if this change was made to keep the Hel+ price at 199.99–I assume the newer adapter is cheaper for Schiit. Again, as long as it works, I don’t feel negatively about the change.
No clue on the adapter schiit provides, but the older one looks exactly like the one that came with my Monster Beats by Beats By Dre headphones that I bought in 2008, haha. Looks like you can still get it here, if this is a legit site: https://www.eardio.com/adapters-cables-c-1_5/beats-65mm-14-headphones-audio-adapter-p-114.html

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 2.09.23 PM.png

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #130,044 of 152,850
Regarding PA systems...
<snip>
Here is simple method to be blown away by music you thought you heard before: get some decent amplification and speakers, and play it (at an appropriate volume, meaning loud enough but not too loud, in a really large room.
My system is out of commission during significant home rennovations, and somehow I fell 400+ messages behind on this thread! But I perservered and caught up. Lots of topics to ponder while I wait to set up a couple systems with new arrangements in the coming months.

The above statement by @tin-ear brought back a couple memories I thought I'd share during this down time:
- in the late '70s I attended a few shows at Bill Graham's (Key)stone music venues in the Bay Area. At the Stone on Broadway in SF I remember being annoyed by 2 opening bands separated by very loud house music over the PA system while waiting to see the headliner. Not a moment's peace! Until, my attention was caught by Steely Dan's song Aja. The production of that album and the title track is top quality, and what struck me were the 2 drum breaks by Steve Gadd on that title track heard "at volume". Wow! To this day it remains a reference track for me. When evaluating a system at home, I consider whether it sounds like the instrument(s) are in the room, especially the drum kit.
- in 1985 the Grateful Dead played "20th Anniversary" shows at the Berkeley Greek Theater. Before the Sunday show began, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, the PAs were playing a variety of music, and the crowd chatted to pass the time. Until, there were 4 pairs of guitar tuning notes, a chord, and bam.... Jimi Hendrix Little Wing from Winterland Oct. 12, 1968 filling the whole bowl of the Greek. The crowd stopped what they were doing and listened! That track, including the tuning, appeared on the excellent Jimi Hendrix Concerts (1982) which I believe is out of print, though I think much of the show has since been released. Not sure if they've included the tuning, though.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #130,045 of 152,850

IMG_2884.jpeg
Could be price, could anticipated availability wrt volume, could be any number of things. Personally, I've never had an issue with Monoprice.

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #130,046 of 152,850

IMG_2884.jpeg
Interesting. My FullaE didn't come with such adapters. It might be a courtesy item tossed into the package before shipment. I'd feel confident using their adapters. You might be right about the pricing thing (I suspect it all adds up). Anyway, that's my 2 cents...

Nov 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #130,047 of 152,850

IMG_2884.jpeg
Oh, so THAT'S where all those adapters came from that I have flying around all over the place. I was wondering the other day…

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #130,048 of 152,850
Nov 5, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #130,050 of 152,850
Chloe the cat is really enjoying the latest album by The Long Ryders. IMG_1183.jpeg
Bless you… Calicos (and Torties, of which we have one) tend to be the snooty princesses of the world. They Know who’s boss. Both of you enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back