Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 3, 2023 at 2:19 AM Post #129,841 of 150,705
This is all couched. Nowhere does it endorse a 2/64.
Correct...and you missed my point... or, more likely, I didn't communicate it well enough - which is, the Bifrost 2/64 is another "all the DAC you'll ever need". The fact of the matter is, you don't need the Yggy "nervosa flavor of the latest product launch" to have great sound... you can spend a fraction.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #129,842 of 150,705
My ears aren't that great... I can equate a lot of analog cable changes to tweaking the 2K knob on Loki Max.. a notch up or down from center will often "emulate" the sound I hear when doing a cable swap.

The difference between digital cables is less about acting as a tone control as it is about apparent "air". That Canon USB printer cable that I've mentioned here before sounds like nothing. Several AudioQuest USB cables that I've tried sound a bit "dark" and constrained. A Cardas Blue USB cable that I own sounds amazingly open and clear. And the Silver Sonic D-110 is the best AES cable I've ever heard.

Yeah, I'm weird af. YMMV, here more than anywhere else. :sunglasses:
Yeah - I'm weird too !! the differences in musical presentation and resolution can be quite startling when you start ' cable rolling ' ( see what I did there !! ) I have just radically re- worked my home setup , retired my ancient Meridian active speakers and re-initiated some 15 yr old Acoustic Energy floor standers , I couldn't justify spending £1000.00 on a Vidar or Aegis ( yes that's how much they cost here in the old country ) - so I got a class D amp from a UK company that has similar ethos to Schiit for £500.00 - It took a while for the speakers and Amp to wake up and now I can start to tune and tweek to get the sound ' Just So !! '

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #129,843 of 150,705
I'm sorry, but there won't be any audible difference between any YggDrasil and an Apple dongle. Both are excellent (audibly transparent) the only difference is one costs $1000s more
You have to be kidding - the sonic differences are profound and demonstrable - your use of the phrase
'but there won't be any audible difference '
suggests that no attempt to discern if this is a factual statement has been attempted by this poster -

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #129,844 of 150,705
You have to be kidding - the sonic differences are profound and demonstrable - your use of the phrase

suggests that no attempt to discern if this is a factual statement has been attempted by this poster -
He’s probably one of those guys who thought all CD players sounded the same, and all turntables have to do is run at the correct speed, because they all sound the same too. 😉

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #129,845 of 150,705
IMG_0626.jpeg

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #129,846 of 150,705
(revised)
curious about this too, as the Kara has the improved volume up/down quick press = single-volume-step firmware by Stephan (not present on Freya S, Freya +, Freya N). does the Kara remote send both "volume button pressed" and "volume button released" codes (and Freya remotes don't)?
No. Purely a difference in pot control in firmware. The IR codes remain the same.

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #129,848 of 150,705
I'm aware of the mechanics of digital signal transmission. And whilst yes they are in reality analog, the point is that generally speaking, if the data gets there intact it doesn't matter if it arrived with the analog aspects being different. The fact that the information was not so mangled as to be misinterpreted is the key.

In situations such as over USB where that is all that matters, that is indeed all that matters. Data being incorrect will be VERY obvious, and is not a tricky issue to solve. The idea that a silver USB cable will more reliably get your data to the other end intact is almost always false. And there is no audio clock signal carried over the connection, everything is buffered by the receiving device and then converted in time with its own clock.

It's AES/SPDIF/I2S which do carry an audio clock signal which is used as a reference for conversion by the receiving DAC. And therefore cables not to the correct characteristic impedance may adversely and measurably affect performance. This is NOT a case of 'go buy an expensive cable' though, it's a case of 'spend enough to make sure you're getting something right'. As mentioned Van Damme and Mogami both have cables I've tested to be extremely accurate to the required spec.
Well said, @GoldenOne! :thumbsup:

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #129,849 of 150,705
From a chapter I wrote here 7 years ago:

Yep - our perception of sound is complex , perhaps hearing works just like a Detective assembling a series of audible, visual and non audible clues and cues to recreate and interpret the substance of what we hear . I have noticed that a slight change of timbre or timing can alter the presentation of what we perceive as sound by a surprising degree - removing a tiny amount of subsonic noise from an amp may reveal musical clues and nuances that were previously imperceptible but add considerably to the bigger musical picture .

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #129,850 of 150,705
Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 19.46.33.png

Stephane (who was in some of my previous videos) and I in the depths of Syn today. His cats too.

Nov 3, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #129,851 of 150,705
Alright guys. I finally own a Vali+, I caved and grabbed a b-stock version. I own the latest Magni+ and the latest Modi Multibit. The Magni blew me away when I got it. It was my first Schiit headphone amp (and I'm on my second Modi Multibit).

Well, holy crap balls. The Vali 2... Russian tube. Sounded like garbage 20 minutes of warmth, I thought to myself "this sucker has gotta be better than this, let's let it sit for a bit"... yeah, that was obviously it.

Doing an a/b comparison between this and the Magni+ ... the music I'm listening to on the Vali+ just has a wider soundstage and more over anything has a large bump in instrument separation. I have a Piety on the way and excited to do an a/b/c comparison. Also purchased what is supposed to be a "Wyatt tube" and adapter (I've been trying to get a hold of the guy after chatting with him in youtube comments but have been unable to get a hold of him). The adapter might take some time to get here.

Vali 3 will surely be on my purchase list when it finally lands.

Needless to say, if the Piety can sound better than the Vali+ with some tube rolling, then wow. For now, color me impressed.
Dang you. I've got a new one yet to open as I am in the middle of a move. I see the unopened box several times a day as I put stuff away, and I yearn. However, honey's stuff has to be in place first. Go figure! My first listen to the Vali 2++ will be in my new Stressless recliner. And, I can almost get one of our two cars in the new 3-car garage. Almost there. PS - don't let anyone tell you that making a move at 70 is easy. It's a b*tch. We must have been having a crazy moment. But I am crazy for my Schiit!! Thanks Jason.

Nov 3, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #129,853 of 150,705
Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #129,854 of 150,705
Alright guys. I finally own a Vali+, I caved and grabbed a b-stock version. I own the latest Magni+ and the latest Modi Multibit. The Magni blew me away when I got it. It was my first Schiit headphone amp (and I'm on my second Modi Multibit).

Well, holy crap balls. The Vali 2... Russian tube. Sounded like garbage 20 minutes of warmth, I thought to myself "this sucker has gotta be better than this, let's let it sit for a bit"... yeah, that was obviously it.

Doing an a/b comparison between this and the Magni+ ... the music I'm listening to on the Vali+ just has a wider soundstage and more over anything has a large bump in instrument separation. I have a Piety on the way and excited to do an a/b/c comparison. Also purchased what is supposed to be a "Wyatt tube" and adapter (I've been trying to get a hold of the guy after chatting with him in youtube comments but have been unable to get a hold of him). The adapter might take some time to get here.

Vali 3 will surely be on my purchase list when it finally lands.

Needless to say, if the Piety can sound better than the Vali+ with some tube rolling, then wow. For now, color me impressed.
Try a 5670W in the Vali+. An inexpensive tube that really lets the amp shine.

Nov 3, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #129,855 of 150,705
Key words: Heretic, headphone extension cable.
Cheap Extension Cord.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back