Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #129,721 of 150,666
Nov 1, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #129,722 of 150,666
I should make an account. All my content is incredibly meaningful and relevant, as demonstrated by this very post.
Like many of the philosophical crazies artists commenters here, isn't it obvious to you that incredibly meaningful and relevant schiit is its own reward? :wink:

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #129,723 of 150,666
It sounds fantastic! I’m comparing unison out vs AES and leaning towards AES so far but the differences are small.

The post above refers to Urd outputs. I just got an AES/EBU cable and my initial take is that AES/EBU between Urd and Yggy sounds quite good, wider stage more 3D, than USB.

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #129,725 of 150,666
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #129,726 of 150,666
That's quite a ratio, how did you measure it? Since transformers don't pass DC voltages... do you have a bad light dimmer somewhere on the line?

This is just 2mV, probably within the error range of a cheap voltmeter. Used the DC V setting. 2mV should not cause ant issues; I was just wondering what others see in their power lines. People with solar panels may see higher DC, I wonder.

Nov 1, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #129,727 of 150,666
I wonder what ASR would make of this interview with the late founder of NVA?
https://nvahifi.co.uk/pages/richard-dunn-interview

Q: But you still have to use test equipment when you design your amplifiers, don't you?
A: The only reason I have to use test equipment is to make sure the amplifier is safe.

Also:

"People say: `Why do you put the switch on the back?' Now, that is an extremely good switch. What is important is the quality of its contacts. You can get really flash looking push-button switches, but so what, what is important is the contact. This switch has a very good sound, extremely good contracts, and a very sensible price. It is my recommendation to the users, to always leave the amplifier on, and as a way to help them keep it in mind we put the mains switch on the back... so that they have to make a conscious effort when they want to turn the amp off."

Nov 1, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #129,728 of 150,666
I watched this conversation between Darko and the Cheap Audio Man the other day. It was mainly about Urd, but they also talked about a bunch of other things.

At around the 33 to 34 minute mark, they get to the question of why anyone would ever buy a 13 hundred Dollar transport when you could just as well use a dirt-cheap transport and feed that into a quality DAC.

You can obviously debate all the different reasons for Urd's existence and price point that both of them theorize over until the cows come home. And some of the reasons they bring up are a bit more out there than others, that's just par for the course for a conversation between two pundits of any genre.

But what stuck with me was when Randy mentioned that he is not aware of any other audio gear manufacturer that has as passionate of a fan base as Schiit's. And it really struck me how sincerely puzzled or surprised he seemed by that.

I don't find that puzzling or surprising at all, though. Just as pretty much all of us here, I could list at least two dozen reasons for why this is. Just from the top of my head. And all of them play a role in the why.

But not one of them is really all that important.

What makes people keep buying Schiit is Schiit's brand.

And I'm not talking about their name or logo. That's something entirely different. It's really important to understand that a brand and a name/logo are not the same thing.

When you purchase a Schiit product, you know precisely what you can expect. Styling, iconography, ease of use, reliability, years-long warranties, product longevity, choice of materials, witty product descriptions and snarky FAQs, Schiit's accessibility and their honesty in how they communicate with their market and customers, Assy in The USA, a high ratio of value for money, the satisfying *chunk* when you flip a real, physical switch made of metal instead of trying to have a capacitative touch "button" on a cheap and glossy plastic face plate react to your attempts of tapping it… Each and every one of those is of course a good reason for why people buy Schiit, and why they keep buying Schiit. And I'm sure that we could collect dozens more.
But any random company could walk in, pick any combination of these points, and emulate them. Yet it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't work because it's not any one, two, or ten of these points that lead to Schiit being where it is today. It is their sum. It is the consistency of Schiit's product line, and it is the consistency with which Schiit operates. And yes, that also includes that certain things are consistently inconsistent.

So, the main reason why Schiit has such a passionate fan base, the main reason why Schiit tends to have customers who prefer to have only Schiit products in their stacks instead of an eclectic mix of different brands, is quite simply: Schiit's fantastic branding. What Randy is so surprised about seeing isn't an accident. It is the result of Jason's decade-long effort to build a brand. And it's working.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #129,729 of 150,666
I watched this conversation between Darko and the Cheap Audio Man the other day. It was mainly about Urd, but they also talked about a bunch of other things.

At around the 33 to 34 minute mark, they get to the question of why anyone would ever buy a 13 hundred Dollar transport when you could just as well use a dirt-cheap transport and feed that into a quality DAC.

You can obviously debate all the different reasons for Urd's existence and price point that both of them theorize until the cows come home. And some of the reasons they bring up are a bit more out there than others, that's par for the course for a conversation between two pundits of any genre.

But what stuck with me was when Randy mentioned that he is not aware of any other audio gear manufacturer that has as passionate of a fan base as Schiit's. And it really struck me how sincerely puzzled or surprised he seemed by that.

I don't find that puzzling or surprising at all, though. Just as pretty much all of us here, I could list at least two dozen reasons for why this is. Just from the top of my head. And all of them play a role in the why.

And I'm not talking about their logo. That's something entirely different. It's really important to understand that a brand and a logo are not the same thing.

When you purchase a Schiit product, you know precisely what you can expect. Styling, iconography, ease of use, reliability, years-long warranties, product longevity, choice of materials, witty product descriptions and snarky FAQs, Schiit's accessibility and their honesty in how they communicate with their market and customers, Assy in The USA, a high ratio of value for money, the satisfying *chunk* when you flip a real, physical switch made of metal instead of trying to have a capacitative touch "button" on a cheap and glossy plastic face plate react to your attempts of tapping it… Each and every one of those is of course a good reason why people buy Schiit, and why they keep buying Schiit. And I'm sure that we could collect dozens more.
But any random company could walk in, pick any combination of these points, and emulate them. Yet it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't work because it's not any one, two, or ten of these points that lead to Schiit being where it is today. It is their sum. It is the consistency of their product line, and it is the consistency with which Schiit operates. And yes, that also includes that certain things are consistently inconsistent.

So, the main reason why Schiit has such a passionate fan base, the main reason why Schiit tends to have customers who prefer to have only Schiit products in their stacks instead of an eclectic mix of different brands, is quite simply: Schiit's fantastic branding. What Randy is so surprised about seeing isn't an accident. It is the result of Jason's decade-long effort to build a brand. And it's working.
I pretty much agree with everything you say here, but the real core reason why I like Schiit products is I have a love of power switches on the backs of my devices. (I guess everyone has their own special reason why they love Schiit.)

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #129,730 of 150,666

You can obviously debate all the different reasons for Urd's existence and price point that both of them theorize over until the cows come home. And some of the reasons they bring up are a bit more out there than others, that's just par for the course for a conversation between two pundits of any genre.

And I'm not talking about their name or logo. That's something entirely different. It's really important to understand that a brand and a name/logo are not the same thing.

When you purchase a Schiit product, you know precisely what you can expect. Styling, iconography, ease of use, reliability, years-long warranties, product longevity, choice of materials, witty product descriptions and snarky FAQs, Schiit's accessibility and their honesty in how they communicate with their market and customers, Assy in The USA, a high ratio of value for money, the satisfying *chunk* when you flip a real, physical switch made of metal instead of trying to have a capacitative touch "button" on a cheap and glossy plastic face plate react to your attempts of tapping it… Each and every one of those is of course a good reason for why people buy Schiit, and why they keep buying Schiit. And I'm sure that we could collect dozens more.
But any random company could walk in, pick any combination of these points, and emulate them. Yet it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't work because it's not any one, two, or ten of these points that lead to Schiit being where it is today. It is their sum. It is the consistency of Schiit's product line, and it is the consistency with which Schiit operates. And yes, that also includes that certain things are consistently inconsistent.

All true.

But, in addition to all that, many of us have been with Schiit since they were building product in their garage. We liked their vision then and we still like it now.

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #129,731 of 150,666

An important one is the direct to consumer sales model (at least in the USA) which sets off a virtuous cycle that makes many of the other attributes of the brand possible.

But I‘m here for the cat pictures and cardboard jokes, buying something on occasion just to stay in the game.

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #129,732 of 150,666
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #129,733 of 150,666
An important one is the direct to consumer sales model (at least in the USA) which sets off a virtuous cycle that makes many of the other attributes of the brand possible.

But I‘m here for the cat pictures and cardboard jokes, buying something on occasion just to stay in the game.
Me too!

a.baa-tiger-in-a-box.jpg

Nov 1, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #129,734 of 150,666
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 7:59 PM Post #129,735 of 150,666

It's because when we get comments like "yeah, just make an ultimate Yggy super expensive because that's all people care about anyway is the price tag," we say, "Yeah, we know that would work for a certain part of the market, but we're not opportunistic assholes."

And, because when we get comments about "120.1 vs 118 vs 123.4 and 108.5 and 95.2," we call it "One Number to Rule Them." Because that's what it is.

Also, it's not just branding. You'll see.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back