Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 16, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #128,536 of 150,571
I always wondered how hot the Tyrs get. My Vidar 2 doesn't even get warm. I feel maybe a little heat on the heatsinks, and a teensy, tiny bit on the top towards the back.
They'll probably run warmer with a heavier load, something like Magnepan. The JBLs are 92dB efficient and rated for 25-250W, which is nothing to Tyr. Heck, I was able to drive them with 2 Gjallarhorns. Didn't sound super good but it was an unreasonable test scenario in any case, and someone not accustomed to caviar levels of audio gear may not have even noticed.

Oct 16, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #128,537 of 150,571
Oct 16, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #128,539 of 150,571
Please ignore because the ideas below might be too crazy.

I'd like to see Lokius EQ with linked adjustments for 3 channels. So 3 channels in and 3 outs (using the Freya chassis for the extra room I suppose).

The point is to get my tonal adjustments to also work on the center channel too. I don't think that has ever been done with an EQ. Crazy?

This "Lokius HT" device could be a good pairing for my Syn too, that I have in my office.

Of course one can add the EQ before the rca inputs on the Syn (if you're notnusing digital). But then you can't use the Digital inputs with the EQ.

Absurd? Maybe so, yeah.

I know I could just add another EQ for the central channel, use just one input, and as bonus have more buttons to display....lol.

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #128,540 of 150,571
Related question:

What would be my options for converting SE to balanced for my center channel?

I am considering adding a Vidar or Aegir in mono for the center channel. But to work in mono they require balanced inputs. That's especially critical for the weaker Aegir.

So what options could I have to use Vidar or Aegir as my mono centre channel, converting SE to balanced?

Use one channel only of Modius or Midgard? Would that work?

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #128,543 of 150,571
Sumiko Blue Point.

The TD160 was bought new around 1983. The SME 3009 Series II Improved cost me (new from the Audible Difference in Palo Alto) $90 around 1979, when they were selling out their SME stock.

I have the same arm and cartridge on my Oracle Delphi II+. I really like the combo.

Oct 16, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #128,544 of 150,571
Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #128,546 of 150,571
You can download manuals from the Product > Downloads page of each product.
Yes of course. But a paper manual is also a good thing.

The other option would be a file that is formatted to print double sided on letter sized paper. The online manuals are not formatted to print properly.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #128,547 of 150,571
Yes of course. But a paper manual is also a good thing.

The other option would be a file that is formatted to print double sided on letter sized paper. The online manuals are not formatted to print properly.
They appear to be PDFs of the original manuals. What you see is what you get.

Oct 16, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #128,548 of 150,571
Oct 16, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #128,550 of 150,571
I need this here hive mind's help with something that's been bugging me for (literally) years, if you'd kindly allow me to steer this thread away from the usual sign wave content and perpetual debate about everything that Schiit does wrong. Just for a second, I promise.

So, the second movement ("Menuetto. Allegro con moto," but sometimes also called "Tempo di Valse") of Antonín Dvořák's Serenade for Strings in E major, Op. 22 (B. 52).

I think most of us have heard it somewhere at least once or twice, right? So a certain "sense of familiarity" is pretty much unavoidable when one hears that particular piece.

But…

Whenever I hear that movement's theme, especially in its fully orchestrated version, I get practically steamrolled by a sense of deep intimacy with that piece that I just can't explain to myself. It's not like "Oh, I think I've heard that before somewhere. I like it. Let's move on."
God, no. I wish!
Instead, it's much more like a feeling of "GOSHDARNITNOTAGAINWHERETHEHELLDOIKNOWTHIS****INGPIECEFROMAAARRRGGGHHH!!!" … to put it lightly.

It feels to me like I must have been listening to it for at least a thousand times when I was a child or "youth," if you will. But I'll be damned if I could put my finger on why, though.

This movement must have been used in some form of "popular culture" around that time, meaning at some point in the 80s or early 90s. Maybe in some German TV ad, or as the theme of a German TV production of some sort, or maybe on the soundtrack of some German or American movie. I have absolutely no idea.

The usual go-to resources I have already exhausted; Google and Wikipedia were of no help. So, my hope is that maybe one of you folks can point me into a direction that would allow me to figure out what they used that darned movement for way back when so that I can !finally! ease my pain with this "inverse ear worm" of sorts.

I don't often do this. Asking for help, I mean. But…

Help! 😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back