Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #128,431 of 152,721
If you're having trouble, best to contact info@schiit.com and have it looked at (or swapped, if you're early enough on).

Kara does have a "flash 3 lights" overcurrent mode, but that shouldn't be triggered unless there's a headphone plugged in and you're drawing enough current for it to trip the protection (exceptionally loud, or if there's a short in the headphone cable.) If that happens, a power cycle is required to reset it. Funny, I thought that was in the manual. Something to add.

Weird--worth checking tonearm wires, system wiring, etc. If not, best to contact info@schiit.com and have us take a look.

Regardless, if it's flashing lights, making noise, or has other problems, best to contact info@schiit.com or orders@schiit.com. They can get you taken care of.
Thanks and will do.

Checked all connections including tone arm wiring.

Swapped inputs on the SYS, noise moved with the input switch.

Taking the Mani 2 out of the chain entirely (unplugged, disconnected) and switching to the phono input on the amp and the noise is gone.

I’m trying to see if there’s a screw on the turntable someplace so I can try grounding it to the Mani as my last check before I reach out to Schiit.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #128,432 of 152,721
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #128,433 of 152,721
Thanks and will do.

Checked all connections including tone arm wiring.

Swapped inputs on the SYS, noise moved with the input switch.

Taking the Mani 2 out of the chain entirely (unplugged, disconnected) and switching to the phono input on the amp and the noise is gone.

I’m trying to see if there’s a screw on the turntable someplace so I can try grounding it to the Mani as my last check before I reach out to Schiit.
Your test proves the issue is before the Sys. Now switch the turntable L/R inputs in the Mani 2 and see if the problem switches inputs. That could tell you if it's the phono preamp or the turntable connections.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #128,434 of 152,721
Ye gods…. I had my grandfather’s ‘64 Dodge Polara, push-button transmission, and left-hand thread lug nuts on the left, too. Or was it the right?
My Valiant had that too. After the first tire shop destroyed one of my lugs I had to mention it every time I took the car in. Kids these days...

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #128,435 of 152,721
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #128,436 of 152,721
My Valiant had that too. After the first tire shop destroyed one of my lugs I had to mention it every time I took the car in. Kids these days...

Your test proves the issue is before the Sys. Now switch the turntable L/R inputs in the Mani 2 and see if the problem switches inputs. That could tell you if it's the phono preamp or the turntable connections.
Sorry. Not sure I understand what you’re suggesting here.

If the single ended outs from the TT directly into the phono-in on the Amp show no noise, that suggests to me that the issue is the Mani, no?

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #128,437 of 152,721
Sorry. Not sure I understand what you’re suggesting here.

If the single ended outs from the TT directly into the phono-in on the Amp show no noise, that suggests to me that the issue is the Mani, no?
Yes, if you connected your TT to another phono preamp and no issues the problem may be the Mani 2.

I would still check the Mani 2 bottom switches; make sure they are fully engaged in the correct positions. I would also swap the TT cables on the Mani 2 and see if the problem remains on the channel side you observed it before. If yes, the Mani 2 may have a problem, if the problem moves to the other channel it will seem it is prior to the Mani 2, perhaps a ground issue.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #128,439 of 152,721
Yes, if you connected your TT to another phono preamp and no issues the problem may be the Mani 2.

I would still check the Mani 2 bottom switches; make sure they are fully engaged in the correct positions. I would also swap the TT cables on the Mani 2 and see if the problem remains on the channel side you observed it before. If yes, the Mani 2 may have a problem, if the problem moves to the other channel it will seem it is prior to the Mani 2, perhaps a ground issue.
Dip switches are all in factory set position. noise is through both channels. Connected the line line out of the Mani to the line in on the amp in my home office (no input). Audible static through the speakers.

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #128,440 of 152,721
flat_head-s (1).jpg
All of them? Flat head = countersunk, no?
Socket head flatheads are the bane of mankind! They must be eradicated from the face of of the Earth!

Oct 14, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #128,441 of 152,721
Sweet! Here's a later version Weston after refurbishing. While I'm partial to Hickoks, the Westons were beautifully built and more rugged than most portable testers of the time.

Mr. Carlson, is that you? I thought you lived in Canada??

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #128,442 of 152,721
Dip switches are all in factory set position. noise is through both channels. Connected the line line out of the Mani to the line in on the amp in my home office (no input). Audible static through the speakers.
Then, may be time to contact Schiit Audio.

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #128,444 of 152,721
Frustrating problems connecting Urd usb out to my dacs. Works fine connected to Topping D10. No such luck connecting to a Chord Qutest or Fiio R7. Understand Fiio may be driver related but the Chord?

Oct 14, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #128,445 of 152,721

It can be beneficial to cycle the DIP switches a few times since they're not well sealed. Might make things better and if your problem gets worse it's time for replacement. Forty-two years of experience talking. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back