Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #128,417 of 155,068
Mount Airy, NC was Griffith's boyhood town. Nearby is Pilot Mountain, the inspiration for the town of Mt.Pilot in the show. Petticoat Junction was another good sit-com. I liked Uncle Joe's humor.
I liked the related show, Green Acres. I've never met @Ripper2860 in person, but I'm kinda expecting Mr. Kimball... 🤣 🤣

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #128,418 of 155,068
I have Kara connected to Tyr via balanced XLR cables. Input is SE, as all my sources (namely Mani 2) are SE. Can I still use passive mode? The reason I ask is because the Tyr has a SE/XLR switch. I have that in the balanced position.

The glitch I experience was in x1 gain mode.

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #128,419 of 155,068
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #128,420 of 155,068
Alex and Tyler, for a time, wanted to do some interesting colors. Then they found out just what a pain in the ass it was to pick powder coatings (shine/thickness/stages all count, and there are a limited number of good/reproducable options). Those plans went out the window. And that was before we assessed what kind of impact having all those SKUs would mean in production.

Sorry, sometimes there is no santa.
Funny, we've been meeting weekly for the past couple months on plans for our exhibit booth at our big trade show this January. Everything has been pretty straightforward, and more just assigning responsibilities and tasks for each aspect. Until colors. We can get any powder color we want, but can't seem to agree on what that color should be. My suggestion of Carolina Blue was shot down in flames early on for some strange reason.... 🤣

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #128,421 of 155,068
I have Kara connected to Tyr via balanced XLR cables. Input is SE, as all my sources (namely Mani 2) are SE. Can I still use passive mode? The reason I ask is because the Tyr has a SE/XLR switch. I have that in the balanced position.

The glitch I experience was in x1 gain mode.
Shouldn't matter. If all it's doing is going into protection unexpectedly, it's probably fine. But best we swap it out so we can see why it's going into protection for no good reason.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 14, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #128,423 of 155,068
If it bothers you enough, buy replacement screws.
Yup. And while you're at it, get brass screws. They sound better.

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #128,424 of 155,068
Yup. And while you're at it, get brass screws. They sound better.
Only if you use a bit of Loctite.
(I’m kidding! Do not do this!)

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #128,425 of 155,068
I liked the related show, Green Acres.
There's a scene in Green Acres I can never forget.
Y'know how Lisa can't cook and how much suffering that causes Oliver?
Well, on the episode in question, she discovers "freeze dried foods" and makes a roast chicken dinner with apple pie by adding the powders to a pot of boiling water.
Oliver is over the moon.

I wonder how an audiophile version of Green Acres would go....

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #128,426 of 155,068
So, best I can tell, I either have, somehow, developed some kind of ground loop that didn’t exist before or something has gone wonky with the Mani 2.
Doesn't sound like a ground loop to me. A ground loop won't sound like static, it will normally be a steady state buzz or hum. Double check the IC cable connections at the jack & where the cable enters the RCA jack. Check Mani's power plug connection/cable while you're at it too.

Good luck!

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #128,427 of 155,068
For those interested in the 2"x2"x7/8" rubber/cork anti-vibration pads, the best price I've found is $0.64 each from here
I bought about 100 of them back when they were $0.40 each last year (the rubber smell fades to nothing in about a week)

Using a small army of them while A/B-ing a couple of Gungnirs (A1 vs A2 boards) :)
gungnir-A1-vs-A2.jpg
Received mine a couple days back and just got them installed under and between the MJ3 & FV. Both space heaters turned on and will leave them on the rest of the day and into the night to makes sure everything is toasty before doing some relaxed listening. Looking forward to the experience! :smile_phones:

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #128,428 of 155,068
Funny, we've been meeting weekly for the past couple months on plans for our exhibit booth at our big trade show this January. Everything has been pretty straightforward, and more just assigning responsibilities and tasks for each aspect. Until colors. We can get any powder color we want, but can't seem to agree on what that color should be. My suggestion of Carolina Blue was shot down in flames early on for some strange reason.... 🤣
Maybe because you are now in Georgia Bulldog territory---.

Oct 14, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #128,429 of 155,068
Shouldn't matter. If all it's doing is going into protection unexpectedly, it's probably fine. But best we swap it out so we can see why it's going into protection for no good reason.

@Jason Stoddard - My question was unrelated to the possible Kara glitch. Specifically what I would like to understand is:

The Kara manual says: "Note: Passive mode can’t convert between SE and
balanced. The other modes can." That is what prompted my question. So... what is the operating mode in this condition:

1 - Kara SE input source
2 - Kara set to pure passive
3 - Kara connected to Tyr via XLR and Tyr input switch set to XLR.

What signal path is this? Is there going to be a ground issue on the Kara/Tyr interface?

Any downside from a functionality and sound quality perspectives?

Thanks for your attention!

Re the Kara glitch I would much prefer to wait. Can we talk about this offline?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #128,430 of 155,068
These were recommended elsewhere. Forgive the gaudy color I liked....
If they were black anodized, I'd be hooked. I thought about turning some larger diameter aluminum ones on the lathe at work but I'm too lazy to switch out the heads on the lathe to from collets to the 4-jaw. On top of that, I'd have to persuade the guys at work to throw them in with their next batch of black anodize. Unfortunately we didn't have any rod stock in titanium or tungsten lying around or I would have seriously contemplated going there. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back