Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #128,356 of 150,318
Definitely black where I can get away with it. Folkvangr was a solid 10 minutes of hair-pulling before I decided I'd like silver and grey with lit tubes more than black and grey. Except the black Mjolnir's orange LEDs are right there and look better than I expected... maybe one day I'll swap with someone that wants silver.

I think I'm going to pass on my speaker pedestal idea, I don't want to raise the 590's when they're already moderately top-heavy and sound great where they are, especially if it means combining the mushy SVS feet with the Pangea sliders. Moving them around will be messy, plus the odds of accidentally bumping the Tyrs... just no. I'll rip and redo all the furniture before I let that happen.

Attachments

• 20231013_205718459_iOS.jpg
    20231013_205718459_iOS.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #128,357 of 150,318
@Jason Stoddard you guys ever think about implenting rectifiers in your tube amps like 5ar4 5y3 or 5u4gb? and if not whats keeping you from doing so?
1. Another tube to chase down.
2. Even more heat.
3. In my experience, I haven't noticed any particular magic associated with tube rectifiers vs solid-state in actual implementation.
4. Our power supplies are frequently much more complex than a single rail--so how would you feel about 5-7 tube rectifiers?
5. Even as a single, they're pricey.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #128,358 of 150,318
2. Even more heat.
3. In my experience, I haven't noticed any particular magic associated with tube rectifiers vs solid-state in actual implementation.
4. Our power supplies are frequently much more complex than a single rail--so how would you feel about 5-7 tube rectifiers?
Thanks I always wondered why

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #128,360 of 150,318
Is there any Schiit headphone amps can passthrough balanced signal to unbalanced tube amp?
(revised, originally though OP was looking for Bal In, Bal out)
HP amps with full-balanced active gain stages between XLR input and RCA outputs: look at magnius, jotunheim 2, mjolnir 3
IIRC, discontinued Jotunheim A and Jotunheim models have passive (only 4-gang RK27) volume pot between XLR inputs and pre-outs and would only use positive phase of xlr on the SE out

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #128,363 of 150,318
B-b-but for us tube hoarders collectors, the thrill of the chase is a big part of the thrill of overspending. :sweat_smile:
2. Even more heat.
Moar is better, right? Unless, it's not.
My experience too. However, didn't use them in combo with magic fuses, organic crystal cardboard cable lifters and positive fomo promo expectation biasing thereby missed the holistic synergism experience. 🤣
About the same as one. But 5-7 times stronger.
Sure, but overspending for dubious gains is what makes this hobby great annoying expensive. :ksc75smile:

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #128,364 of 150,318
Passthrough, not preamp
Balanced must be converted to single-ended; there is no actual "passthrough." Unless you're talking about dropping Pin 3 from an XLR and just using Pin 2, which can have performance problems, including noise (for balanced circuits that rely on CMRR) or complete incompatibility (for coming off some transformer outputs.)

As far as what we have that will give you SE from balanced, any product that has balanced in and SE outs will do it. If you want a product for stripping Pin 2 output, there are probably products out there in the pro realm.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 13, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #128,365 of 150,318
Balanced must be converted to single-ended; there is no actual "passthrough." Unless you're talking about dropping Pin 3 from an XLR and just using Pin 2, which can have performance problems, including noise (for balanced circuits that rely on CMRR) or complete incompatibility (for coming off some transformer outputs.)

As far as what we have that will give you SE from balanced, any product that has balanced in and SE outs will do it. If you want a product for stripping Pin 2 output, there are probably products out there in the pro realm.
Actually I'm using the Oppo HA-01 as amp only (XLR signal from my DAC) and it also feeds my tube amp (SE signal) - passthrough, not preamp or gain, whatever - I'm just looking for something with a smaller footprint than it.

Oct 13, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #128,368 of 150,318
Oct 13, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #128,369 of 150,318
Actually I'm using the Oppo HA-01 as amp only (XLR signal from my DAC) and it also feeds my tube amp (SE signal) - passthrough, not preamp or gain, whatever - I'm just looking for something with a smaller footprint than it.
I think the confusion is that you're referring to a product with an attenuation-bypassed analog output, or what some products refer to as a "Home Theater Bypass." These are generally not passive outputs, as they ordinarily still put the signal through the device's preamplifier circuitry (they need to in order to convert a balanced signal to single ended with proper impedance matching), but they do bypass the preamplifier's volume pot, or at least automatically set it to zero attenuation.

The short answer then is that Schiit product do not have this feature. This means that if you want to input an analog signal into one amplifier and then feed that signal through to a second amplifier (such as a single ended tube amp), you will need to manually set the volume pot on the first amplifier in the chain to max in order to get the full volume control on the second amplifier.

If your DAC has single ended outputs as well as balanced, you can feed those straight to your second amplifier for the most direct signal.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #128,370 of 150,318
I think the confusion is that you're referring to a product with an attenuation-bypassed analog output, or what some products refer to as a "Home Theater Bypass." These are generally not passive outputs, as they ordinarily still put the signal through the device's preamplifier circuitry (they need to in order to convert a balanced signal to single ended with proper impedance matching), but they do bypass the preamplifier's volume pot, or at least automatically set it to zero attenuation.

The short answer then is that Schiit product do not have this feature. This means that if you want to input an analog signal into one amplifier and then feed that signal through to a second amplifier (such as a single ended tube amp), you will need to manually set the volume pot on the first amplifier in the chain to max in order to get the full volume control on the second amplifier.

If your DAC has single ended outputs as well as balanced, you can feed those straight to your second amplifier for the most direct signal.
I wish I could but the Denafrips DAC can't do both RCA and XLR output the same time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back