Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #128,041 of 150,010
Check these out, used them since 2016, no odor, firm blocks or soft ones, and a variety of other types for various application. Never left any marring on any of my gear top plates. I would suspect the Tenderfoot or Hi-End Booster Base will do the job. I give them my highest recommendation.
https://herbiesaudiolab.com/
+1 on Herbie's products. I've used them for years, great for spacing and ventilation.

Whether they reduce vibration and improve the sound is something you'll need to explore for yourselves. :smirk_cat:

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #128,042 of 150,010
Ninja'd by
Oh man this is all fantastic information....ten years tooooo late!

Back then I went to Ace Hardware and bought a heavy duty rubber door matt of suitable design.

Went to Michael's Arts and Crafts bought some cork.

Carefully cut everything into 2" squares and got high on contact cement....

So based on what I now know converting prices back to 2013 prices my creations were worth about:
7¢ for a 1" thick one,
14¢ for a full 2" cube

oh well :) LOL. It's a hobby right?
IMG_20231009_223516824~2.jpg

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:54 PM Post #128,043 of 150,010
Earlier I was helping a young woman with a Pioneer receiver and naturally Finnegan greeted her and stole her heart. He is a pretty smooth cat.😺
Finnegan’s left many a lass in his wake … 😽 👩‍🦳 ❤️ 😸 🐈 🤦‍♀️ 💁‍♀️

Oct 9, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #128,044 of 150,010
Oct 9, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #128,045 of 150,010
Oh man this is all fantastic information....ten years tooooo late!

Back then I went to Ace Hardware and bought a heavy duty rubber door matt of suitable design.

Went to Michael's Arts and Crafts bought some cork.

Carefully cut everything into 2" squares and got high on contact cement....

So based on what I now know converting prices back to 2013 prices my creations were worth about:
7¢ for a 1" thick one,
14¢ for a full 2" cube

oh well :) LOL. It's a hobby right?
IMG_20231009_223516824~2.jpg
They look great 😃👍 and probably work perfectly.

Oct 9, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #128,046 of 150,010
Would love to hear your thoughts about Gungnir a1 vs a2.
Still early impressions, and not entirely equal in that the A2 is running Unison USB and the A1 is running I believe Gen 3 USB (shows up as a "speaker" when connected).
I have an Eitr arriving later this week to play around with as well.
Also thinking of updating the USB to Unison on the A1, not sure yet, but getting the warranty extended by 2 years in the process ain't half bad.
My source is Qobuz (macOS) --> USB --> both Gungnirs

The A1 is notably warmer along with what I perceive as a fuller/deeper stage, and a bit more bass emphasis.
It is however less present/detailed/clean on the top end than the A2.
Could any of this be due to the differences in USB implementation ... sure, maybe, no idea.

The FV has 2x RCA inputs which is where I've been doing most of my comparisons from.
The MJ3 inputs are 1x XLR and 1x RCA which makes things a bit less equal.

At the end of the day one of them is going to stay with the FV and MJ3 (work setup) and the other is going into a second headphone rig feeding an MJ2 and Valhalla 2 (home setup) - I haven't told the Bifrost in the home rig this yet though ... more personal Thunderdomes to come!
:beerchug:

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #128,047 of 150,010
I am getting the same brief pop in the speakers at the 12 o'clock point on the Freya N's dial that I read about in the 'Freya Impressions' thread. It is not bothersome to me since the volume so far seems like it will stay well east of that, but I am noticing it at dinner time volumes.

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #128,048 of 150,010
I am getting the same brief pop in the speakers at the 12 o'clock point on the Freya N's dial that I read about in the 'Freya Impressions' thread. It is not bothersome to me since the volume so far seems like it will stay well east of that, but I am noticing it at dinner time volumes.
Some have said that making sure the tubes are perfectly matched gets around this issue, but for me it went away when I got the freya n to run cooler, either by running noval lissts in the voltage gain sockets, or some other tube that runs cooler by pulling less current. For months now it's been the lissts in the gain sockets and rockets in the follower sockets, and the problem hasn't returned.

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #128,049 of 150,010
Some have said that making sure the tubes are perfectly matched gets around this issue, but for me it went away when I got the freya n to run cooler, either by running noval lissts in the voltage gain sockets, or some other tube that runs cooler by pulling less current. For months now it's been the lissts in the gain sockets and rockets in the follower sockets, and the problem hasn't returned.
Good to know. As an aside, are there still any avenues available to get Noval lissts? Not sure how terribly bad I'd want them but I always like to know the options, yeah?

Oct 10, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #128,050 of 150,010
Good to know. As an aside, are there still any avenues available to get Noval lissts? Not sure how terribly bad I'd want them but I always like to know the options, yeah?
You could always ask @mjstealey real nice 🙂 He bought an old pair of mine, but not sure he would want to part with them (sorry in advance for outing you, Mr. Stealy, but it takes a village!).

12AT7's w adapters tend to work well in both the gain and follower sockets too.

Oct 10, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #128,051 of 150,010
Oh yeah, I suppose that would be an option. Nice.

Oct 10, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #128,052 of 150,010
Still early impressions, and not entirely equal in that the A2 is running Unison USB and the A1 is running I believe Gen 3 USB (shows up as a "speaker" when connected).
I have an Eitr arriving later this week to play around with as well.
Also thinking of updating the USB to Unison on the A1, not sure yet, but getting the warranty extended by 2 years in the process ain't half bad.
My source is Qobuz (macOS) --> USB --> both Gungnirs

The A1 is notably warmer along with what I perceive as a fuller/deeper stage, and a bit more bass emphasis.
It is however less present/detailed/clean on the top end than the A2.
Could any of this be due to the differences in USB implementation ... sure, maybe, no idea.

The FV has 2x RCA inputs which is where I've been doing most of my comparisons from.
The MJ3 inputs are 1x XLR and 1x RCA which makes things a bit less equal.

At the end of the day one of them is going to stay with the FV and MJ3 (work setup) and the other is going into a second headphone rig feeding an MJ2 and Valhalla 2 (home setup) - I haven't told the Bifrost in the home rig this yet though ... more personal Thunderdomes to come!
:beerchug:
When I upgraded my A1 Gungnir to Unison I felt that it was more than worth it. I totally recommend doing that. I love the sound quality that I get from Qobuz via my MacBook Air.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:18 AM Post #128,053 of 150,010
+1 on Herbie's products. I've used them for years, great for spacing and ventilation.

Whether they reduce vibration and improve the sound is something you'll need to explore for yourselves. :smirk_cat:
I never had vibration related issue (with my Salamander stands) but wanted to get a bit of airflow under Schiit's tube offerings. I also used them to snug up gear to the shelves above in some cases to maximize the space between shelves to allow me to keep adding more Schiit and other gear.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #128,054 of 150,010
They look great 😃👍 and probably work perfectly.
Yep - I love this kind of thing - just requires a bit of lateral thinking and your local friendly hardware store can save you a lot of money - my favourite wonder stuff is thin cork/granular rubber gasket sheet - used on old school engines - makes brilliant platter mats for LP's and gaskets for mounting loudspeaker drivers into cabinets - a small piece of thin sheet works wonders sandwiched between a pickup cartridge body and head-shell

Oct 10, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #128,055 of 150,010
You could always ask @mjstealey real nice 🙂 He bought an old pair of mine, but not sure he would want to part with them (sorry in advance for outing you, Mr. Stealy, but it takes a village!).

@theeclone - no worries on the "LISST outing" 🤣
They are still greatly appreciated and on Freya N duty along with a pair of NOS 12AT7 (CV455) adapted Brimars
freya-n-lisst.jpg

Not a pop, ping, or crackle to be heard anywhere along the entire breadth of the volume dial :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back