Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #127,456 of 153,242
Very nice!

If you ever happen to be in San Francisco, make sure to stop by at 1855 Haight Street, just a few blocks down the street from that intersection of Haight and Ashbury that you may or may not have heard of before. I think they held some sort of get together around that part of town in the late 60s or something. There's this little hole in the wall at that address called Amoeba Music, could be worth a visit.
Pro tip: Have your significant other with you as the voice of sanity sitting on your shoulder at all times. Because as a lover of any imaginable kind of music ever put on any sort of recording medium, no matter how wealthy your accountant tells you that you might be, you sure as hell will go broke there if remained unchecked.
They also have locations in Berkeley and Hollywood, but the SF one is my favorite. Well, mostly because of the music-historically significant neighborhood it's located in, but still.

Oh, and also because of all the other eclectic stores around the area. Make sure to stop by Escape from New York Pizza (at 1737 Haight), which might just be the best god-damned proper (i.e. New York style) pizza west of the Hudson, or The Love of Ganesha (at 1573 Haight), my favorite "metaphysical supply store" as they call themselves.
And while you're at it, you should also stop by 710 Ashbury Street. Just an inconspicuous li'l old Victorian that you can only take a look at from the street, but oh to be able to be a fly on the wall there from '66 to '68! You wouldn't have been able to fly in a straight line, I suppose. But you'd have seen and heard some truly fascinating Schiit, that's for sure.
Don't forget Amoeba in LA! Edit: OK, you didn't...

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #127,457 of 153,242
No, that's why you may never see them on Bifrost and Yggy and other large units that have plenty of space for proper USB-B connectors.
Clappity, Clappity. Type B are the most robust connectors.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #127,458 of 153,242
I don't have any Schiit products. I don't have any fancy headphones. I stumbled across Mr. Stoddard's book/chapters as I was researching how I may want to drive some speakers I'm building. Just wanted to register for an account here and say that the book (and subsequent years' chapters) is an amazing entrepreneur/business book. Thanks for the read. I'm still figuring out what to do with my speakers as I'm veneering/staining/polishing, but chances are there'll be some Schiit in there.

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #127,461 of 153,242
Sep 29, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #127,462 of 153,242
But this is what the main rig is doing for me today (best Goodwill find EVER!)
1696020036852.jpeg

Sep 29, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #127,463 of 153,242
I don't have any Schiit products. I don't have any fancy headphones. I stumbled across Mr. Stoddard's book/chapters as I was researching how I may want to drive some speakers I'm building. Just wanted to register for an account here and say that the book (and subsequent years' chapters) is an amazing entrepreneur/business book. Thanks for the read. I'm still figuring out what to do with my speakers as I'm veneering/staining/polishing, but chances are there'll be some Schiit in there.

Welcome to the machine

:beerchug:
JC

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #127,465 of 153,242
Also: Adapters just add additional contact resistance to your interconnects and cheap ones usually aren't shielded all that well.

I generally don't particularly hate the Pentaconn connector, but please only for balanced mobile devices. For stationary gear, I prefer XLR over pretty much everything else. Standardized, with vast compatibility all the way back to the dark ages, sturdy, reliable, usually well shielded, doesn't get awkward to handle when attached to chunkier wires, and no potentially problematic shorts or other kinds of connection misfires while plugging/unplugging.

Nah, thanks. A solution that causes more issues than it solves isn't a solution. I think I'll stick with XLR for my balanced Schiit and just add a switch box or something if (and only if) I ever need more than just one output.

From Wikipedia:

"The number of pins varies. As of 2016, XLR connectors are available with up to 10 pins,[5] and mini XLR connectors with up to eight. XLR connectors from different manufacturers will intermate, with the exception of six-pin models, which are available in two incompatible designs. The older Switchcraft six-pin design adds a center pin to the standard five-pin design, whereas the newer Neutrik design is a different pattern. The Switchcraft six-pin female will accept a standard five-pin male plug whereas the Neutrik six-pin design will not. Neutrik offers connectors in both six-pin designs."

Lol.

In truth, though, the 3 pin xlrs are pretty standardized, although they've been used for analog line level, speaker connectors, digital, lighting and assorted other frankenpurposes.

I have fuzzy recollections of some maverick standard in the 70s swapping the 1 & 3 pins, but I'm probably wrong.

Sep 29, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #127,466 of 153,242
But this is what the main rig is doing for me today (best Goodwill find EVER!)
1696020036852.jpeg
I’m torn about this, I enjoy one of the artists, but the other does nothing for me.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #127,467 of 153,242
I’m torn about this, I enjoy one of the artists, but the other does nothing for me.
Each to their own! I bought it because I’ve always enjoyed Joe’s guitar work, but I’d never heard of Beth. Haven’t tried her solo stuff yet.

Sep 29, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #127,468 of 153,242
Each to their own! I bought it because I’ve always enjoyed Joe’s guitar work, but I’d never heard of Beth. Haven’t tried her solo stuff yet.
Absolutely! If I saw this at Goodwill, I would have picked it up just because. I should have said this upfront.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #127,469 of 153,242
Yeah I must admit I don't really understand the inconsistency of USB-B on Yggy/Bifrost but USB-C on URD. It would have made more sense with URD being a hub to have both USB-C and USB-B in/out (one of each) giving flexibility and avoiding the irritating adapters. What about USB-B and C input on Yggy? Looks to be a fair bit of space on there (no idea on internal layout etc). IMHO and all that.

yggyplus-rear-C&B.png

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #127,470 of 153,242
Saw Beth Hart on her last UK tour, in 2021, and she was amazing. The music was fantastic, and she puts so much feeling into her songs. By the end of the gig the audience were as emotional as she was.
Saw Joe in Blackpool earlier this year, and he was excellent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back