Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 29, 2023 at 7:50 PM Post #127,472 of 155,190
I don't have any issue with hearing requests, it's just that many of them are not as practical as you think:

1. Processor loop on Ragnarok. Requires a mezzanine board for additional I/O. Not impossible, but not as easy as you might think. Also bad assumption: "preamp stage" and "power stage." That's old think. Ragnarok is a proper, modern product with a single gain stage. There is no "preamp stage."

2. Extra outputs on Freya: physics says no, because this is full. Or I guess we could go all Pentaconn. Those are tiny. Also not a standard thing, also stereo output. Still, not a great answer here without going to a much larger chassis.

3. Balance control (we went over this last night). There's a misconception that with relay ladders, this is "free." Not on the single-ended products, because relays are shared between channels. On balanced products, we could have separate control lines to each channel, yes, but this is a complete re-do of the board, and will require quite a bit more space (or more board layers) to do. It also means you have to have a way to indicate balance is engaged. This means another motorized pot (pricey, and now it's a different chassis), or hinky LED indication that "balance is off center by 3 LEDs" or something like that, or a screen. Again, it's a re-engineering job, possibly ending in a different chassis.

4. Front panel switches. No, not gonna happen. That said, I'm sure more products will get standby modes, etc to reduce power consumption to nearly nil.

Again, I'm not against change. Just know that it frequently not as simple, or inexpensive, as you might think. Keep making suggestions; please make well-reasoned cases for them, especially if you can get a "more sales" justification in there; just don't be surprised when we can't do them all.
I am waiting for a chapter about "Suggested products that we will never do, Suggested products that we actually might do (or have done) and suggested products that are so out there we are still shaking our heads."

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #127,474 of 155,190
I don't have any Schiit products. I don't have any fancy headphones. I stumbled across Mr. Stoddard's book/chapters as I was researching how I may want to drive some speakers I'm building. Just wanted to register for an account here and say that the book (and subsequent years' chapters) is an amazing entrepreneur/business book. Thanks for the read. I'm still figuring out what to do with my speakers as I'm veneering/staining/polishing, but chances are there'll be some Schiit in there.
Everyone here started with no Schiit. Welcome to the sandbox!

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #127,475 of 155,190
According to my wife, I was full of Schiit long before owning any Schiit. 😏

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #127,476 of 155,190
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #127,477 of 155,190
I’m not giving my preference to avoid being a jerk.
Not preferring something doesn’t make you a jerk. Just means you have a differing opinion. Nothing wrong with that. My wife cannot abide anyone with a “raspy” voice. Think Joe Cocker, Melissa Etheridge, most blues singers on the planet, etc. Opinion, thassall… I will say that track 2 on Black Coffee is ”Damn Your Eyes” and I think it’s brilliant. My opinion. 😇

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #127,478 of 155,190
Not just your wife......

🤣 🤣
Might it be considered rude to second the motion (and to wonder if someone’s wife knows mine)?

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #127,479 of 155,190
I have done it by carefully cleaning the surface with liquid rosin before any attempt was made at soldering, then I use a long thin pointed soldering iron tip at 800 degrees F. After a few botched attempts you get better at it but you cannot keep the soldering iron tip there very long or the plastic melted. You have the bare wire in a curved shape and I always pre-tinned the wire. This helped hold the curve as well as getting solder adhere to the wire quickly. I finally would tell customers if they could find a proper connector I would have my people build with those, I did not trust sending the cylinder type to customers so I refused to use them. Building for myself is another matter.
Those are too scary for me to even contemplate. A man's got to know his limitations. 🤣

Now if there were some available with teflon insulators instead of plastic, I might challenge myself...

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:32 PM Post #127,480 of 155,190
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #127,481 of 155,190
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #127,482 of 155,190
...This is the inside of a 3.5 mm TRRS connector and shows where one is supposed to s...
Another post where a "no like" button would have been helpful (no like Pentaconn, like Paladin79 just fine, despite what bcowen says...)

Sep 29, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #127,483 of 155,190
Sep 29, 2023 at 8:49 PM Post #127,484 of 155,190
I don't have any Schiit products. I don't have any fancy headphones. I stumbled across Mr. Stoddard's book/chapters as I was researching how I may want to drive some speakers I'm building. Just wanted to register for an account here and say that the book (and subsequent years' chapters) is an amazing entrepreneur/business book. Thanks for the read. I'm still figuring out what to do with my speakers as I'm veneering/staining/polishing, but chances are there'll be some Schiit in there.
Welcome! Sorry for your wallet (standard greeting, like nanu nanu).

@Jason Stoddard had a speaker company for a while, maybe he'll do another chapter on speakers sometime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back