Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #127,367 of 151,119
You folks do realize that what sounds like a simple thing, such as XLR external loops or multiple I/O, adds cost, complexity, and size to these units? Where does it stop? What if I want multiple external loops or six outputs or on-board analog crossovers and parametric EQ and loudness switches and bass management and AV room correction and... ? :) Oh yea can't forget the damned VU meters!!

I say let Schiit design what they design and it's either for you or it's not.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #127,368 of 151,119
You folks do realize that what sounds like a simple thing, such as XLR external loops or multiple I/O, adds cost, complexity, and size to these units? Where does it stop? What if I want multiple external loops or six outputs or on-board analog crossovers and parametric EQ and loudness switches and bass management and AV room correction and... ? :) Oh yea can't forget the damned VU meters!!

NO! I want my Kia Niro to have a 427 cubic inch big block under the hood with an 8-71 blower sticking out of the hood!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #127,369 of 151,119
<deleted double post>

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #127,370 of 151,119

I don't have any issue with hearing requests, it's just that many of them are not as practical as you think:

1. Processor loop on Ragnarok. Requires a mezzanine board for additional I/O. Not impossible, but not as easy as you might think. Also bad assumption: "preamp stage" and "power stage." That's old think. Ragnarok is a proper, modern product with a single gain stage. There is no "preamp stage."

2. Extra outputs on Freya: physics says no, because this is full. Or I guess we could go all Pentaconn. Those are tiny. Also not a standard thing, also stereo output. Still, not a great answer here without going to a much larger chassis.

3. Balance control (we went over this last night). There's a misconception that with relay ladders, this is "free." Not on the single-ended products, because relays are shared between channels. On balanced products, we could have separate control lines to each channel, yes, but this is a complete re-do of the board, and will require quite a bit more space (or more board layers) to do. It also means you have to have a way to indicate balance is engaged. This means another motorized pot (pricey, and now it's a different chassis), or hinky LED indication that "balance is off center by 3 LEDs" or something like that, or a screen. Again, it's a re-engineering job, possibly ending in a different chassis.

4. Front panel switches. No, not gonna happen. That said, I'm sure more products will get standby modes, etc to reduce power consumption to nearly nil.

Again, I'm not against change. Just know that it frequently not as simple, or inexpensive, as you might think. Keep making suggestions; please make well-reasoned cases for them, especially if you can get a "more sales" justification in there; just don't be surprised when we can't do them all.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #127,371 of 151,119
There's no room for that. Not without losing inputs.

True. May have to go into a rag size chassis to accomplish. So probably won't happen.

Or maybe just do a fully balanced version of Freya+. Personally, once I have a Skoll I would be ok with losing all SE inputs/outputs.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #127,372 of 151,119

Oooops. Forgot about the complexities of balanced. I was just thinking SE RCA IN/OUTs. Thanks for bringing that to the forefront. A classic Easier said than done scenario.

And yes, I'm thinking old school 2x gain stage / preamp and amp both stuffed in one box. I should've known that Schiit was way beyond that. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #127,373 of 151,119
True. May have to go into a rag size chassis to accomplish. So probably won't happen.

Or maybe just do a fully balanced version of Freya+. Personally, once I have a Skoll I would be ok with losing all SE inputs/outputs.
Balanced only is guaranteed to sell 1/10 as much as an input-agnostic product.

How do you feel about all Pentaconn? Those are balanced, two channel, and take less space than an RCA. Yeah, I still don't like them either. Not on full-sized products, anyway.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 28, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #127,374 of 151,119

How would you ever listen to your SACDs? :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #127,375 of 151,119
Balanced only is guaranteed to sell 1/10 as much as an input-agnostic product.

How do you feel about all Pentaconn? Those are balanced, two channel, and take less space than an RCA. Yeah, I still don't like them either. Not on full-sized products, anyway.
The only way I could integrate a device using Pentaconn connectors is by using adapters, or by building custom IC cables. So my basic instinct reaction would say no.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #127,376 of 151,119
NO! I want my Kia Niro to have a 427 cubic inch big block under the hood with an 8-71 blower sticking out of the hood!

Throw enough money at it and it could happen. You may not be able to steer it, but then maybe you wouldn't need to. :)

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #127,378 of 151,119
Keep making suggestions; please make well-reasoned cases for them, especially if you can get a "more sales" justification in there; just don't be surprised when we can't do them all.
My favorite Schiit piece to date is the Syn. I didn't understand it at first, but then I started realizing just how versatile it is. More products like that please.

Also some kind of modular Schiit rack/stack. Desktop shelfs that are perfected sized for Schiit products form factor. Full size rack (maybe wall mounted selves) to match my components. You can add an LED to illuminate a Schiit symbol and put the switch in the back.

Sep 28, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #127,379 of 151,119
Sep 28, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #127,380 of 151,119

You're thinking about it wrong. The Niro being so squared off has all that wonderful space in the back, so you should convert it to a MR layout, have the 427 behind you and the blower intake on the roof. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back