Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #127,293 of 155,074
So on a more serious note (only slightly) for those of you who grew up in southern WI, Ms Jody (Biiiiiig birthday yesterday) is researching her father's birthplace, Zion, IL.

Any history, folklore, facts or stories would be most welcome.

We did visit and wander the streets and visit Dowie's house and will be back for more research when we get closer to that book!

Cheers
I lived in Winthrop Harbor (over 40 years ago now) which is just north of Zion. The biggest things I remember are our address was the same as a notable one on a popular TV show at the time (only reason I can remember it). We were at school and saw a plane go over that was on fire and it ended up crashing into a house a few doors down.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #127,294 of 155,074
The norse god of "shut up and take my money!"

I didn't quite catch what the loading options for MC are. Is it the same as with mani 2 or are there perhaps more options w Skoll? Either way not make or break for this guy!
There are a couple of shots of the front panel. Maybe you can make out the load inscriptions better than I can.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #127,295 of 155,074
Can I ask a question of the Schiit experts here. Would you trade in a Bifrost 2 black (not 2/64) with a Jotunheim 2 with multibit dac silver? I don't really care about the amp or the dac as I have Yggdrasil and tube amps.

I am thinking that the Jot 2 with multibit dac is a nice all in one which strangely is missing from my system? :)

Both items are in as new condition. The Jot is obviously newer. So would you do an equal trade for it? The Bifrost is mine.

I would not, especially as an even swap. Double that if it’s not the newer MB card. I did the whole AIO thing (Asgard 3 + 9028) for just under a year and sold it. Put the $ back into the main system and don’t regret it. I miss my OG Bifrost 2 sometimes, you might also.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #127,299 of 155,074
Ohhh boy! Excited for SKOLL!!! @Jason Stoddard is this going to be a limited Thunderdome type product or will it be available for a while?
I willl be brutally honest here, many of my friends tried the Mani and were not impressed so the Skoll was long awaited. I mean no disrespect to those who own the Mani and love it but I will try a Skoll and compare the reactions.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #127,301 of 155,074
I have a Mani 2 amplifying a MC Sumiko Blue. It offers a silent black background with a neutral presentation. Any difference from that will be euphoric/colored. Some like that but it uniformly tints every recording the same way.

I do not care for euphoric tube warm sound but if that lifts your boat use a euphoric preamp instead.

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #127,302 of 155,074
Yes, but we are talking apples and oranges. Many have turntables and phono preamps worth $10,000 or more and gives similar results when costing less and Skoll may win them over.🤪

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #127,303 of 155,074
I have a Mani 2 amplifying a MC Sumiko Blue. It offers a silent black background with a neutral presentation. Any difference from that will be euphoric/colored. Some like that but it uniformly tints every recording the same way.

I do not care for euphoric tube warm sound but if that lifts your boat use a euphoric preamp instead.
I was not talking tubes.🙂

Sep 28, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #127,304 of 155,074
Yes, but we are talking apples and oranges. Many have turntables and phono preamps worth $10,000 or more and gives similar results when costing less and Skoll may win them over.🤪
The cost of equipment does not impress me. I have listened to many kilobuck pieces I would not put in my living room at any price.

Will not brag about components but what’s before the Sumiko - arm, table is not too shabby either. Not the typical turntable/arm choice out there.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #127,305 of 155,074
Those people will prefer a unit over the other just because it costs a bit more? Or perhaps they can’t help themselves using the remote to constantly switch R/C/gain loads. :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back